Digging Up Civ V: Brave New World Footage

By Craig Pearson on May 9th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

I am saddened to admit that I am not a Civilization player. My brain does not work in that way. No matter how much I try, I just bounce off the game, and then I’m pushed out the way by mean Civ bullies who mock my tactical and diplomatic failings. It’s like home economics all over again. But I’m a bigger man than those meanies, and don’t begrudge Civ fans the opportunity to see the new expansion pack, A Brave New World. And I don’t begrudge Revison3 the hits for the preview that I am shamelessy yoinking. Do click here, as that Sessler guy seems like a nice chap.

And with the ever-so-British pleasantries out the way, let’s look at Brave New World’s additions to the template. The most exciting thing is clearly the archeology. It’s a tech that reveals dig sites around the map. Whenever a camp is destroyed, or a battle is fought, there’s a chance that the game will generate an artefact on the tile. You’ll need to build an archeologist to reveal what it is, and when you collect it, or you can set up a memorial which will raise the tile’s culture while lessening other resources. A similar thing happened when Glasgow was named European city of Culture in 1992: boutique coffee shops arrived as if overnight, and the big glass bottles of Irn Bru you can buy all but disappeared from hedgerows. Man, I’d so play a Glaswegian version of Civ.

And that’s as much as my brain can handle. There’s 30 mins of the new expansion right here, for those with the capacity for understanding such things.

It’s out July 12th.

, , , .

1. Rincewind says:

Frankly, I’m excited. Vanilla Civ V launched with so many balance problems, with not nearly enough contents. It wasn’t BROKEN per se, but it was a deeply flawed game with terrible AI that made the game extremely easy compared to Civ IV. I actually won a game on the second-highest difficulty, something that had always been totally out of my reach in every other iteration of the Civilization series. But after numerous patches that always had laughably high numbers of balance tweaks and additions (brand new buildings and units, added in patches!), and with the addition of Gods and Kings, Civ V is now approaching the level of replayability that Civ IV had.

• Chalky says:

I really am quite excited about this too. The Civ franchise has always been one that gets better with age (and expansions) and since Civ V broke the mould in so many ways it makes sense that it would take a while to reach the same level of quality that previous iterations had.

This expansion is looking quite fantastic indeed.

• luukdeman111 says:

I think you got it spot on. Civ v at launch wasn’t bad per se, it was just So radically different from the thing they’ve been building for almost twenty years that they sorta needed to start over. So even though most changes were for the better it simply needs some time to reach the quality of the thing that they’ve been building for 20 years which is civ I to IV

2. Dominare says:

I’m just curious – if you’re not a Civ player and not really interested, why is it you writing this entry? :p

• MrLebanon says:

Cause the bills don’t pay themselves

• Premium User Badge Craig Pearson says:

I’m not that mercenary! I found it and quite like sharing games thing with people, even if I’m rubbish at the game. I want to be a Civ player, but have always failed.

• guygodbois00 says:

Bloody Nora, Mr Pearson! is there a game, any game at all that you do play, at all, any, anyhow? Sheeesh!

• The Random One says:

Pearson is like the RPS mascot. I bet he wears a giant costume on the office. It’s a costume of himself.

• sabasNL says:

Craig, Civilization V is the easiest-to-learn and easiest-to-play game in the franchise, you should really pick it up. The advisors and tutorials, along with the in-game encyclopedia, are really helpfull. Both for people totally new as for Civilization veterans.

My mother can play Civilization V, and is pretty good at it. And really, she isn’t good with videogames at all. Just saying, I think you could do it.

• Triplanetary says:

This is something that bothers me about RPS. Half the articles start with “Well I have no idea what this series is but…” Why not just pass the article off to an author who knows what they’re talking about?

3. Premium User Badge Stellar Duck says:

I’m always saddened when I look at screenshots from Civ 5. It looks so good. However I only lasted 5 hours and then I didn’t have it in me to keep on. I even bought it at the full 50€. And then I bought the expansion thinking it would be like Civ 4 where it would really come together with an expansion. I still haven’t had the spirit to actually try out that one. Sigh.

• Rincewind says:

As my comment above indicates, if the last time you played Civ V was when the vanilla version came out right at the start, I’d really suggest you try again. It’s changed a really large amount, to the point where only a small fraction of the original vanilla version remains.

• Premium User Badge Stellar Duck says:

Well, that does sound encouraging. And after all, seeing as I bought the Gods expansion I really ought to actually try it. :)

I’ve got the next 4 days off. I’ll see if I can get over my misgivings and give it a whirl.

• MrLebanon says:

Download RED unit diversity mod for some added immersion, it skins units to suit the nation they are representing (instead of the generic vanilla units). Changes nothing game play wise just helps your experience look beautiful!

• imralizal says:

It’s still not nearly as deep as Civ IV, unfortunately. As long as you can accept that, you’ll have an ok time. It’s certainly much better than it was at launch, but it’s still a fundamentally flawed game, more accurately described at Civilization Revolution II than Civilization V.

4. TheLordHimself says:

Pretty excited about this expansion. I bought Civ5 for a few quid in a sale and didn’t really get that far with it, unlike the others in the series. When this comes out I think, assuming its good, combined with Gods and Kinds this will make a much more compelling game.

5. MrLebanon says:

CiV has kept me up to sunrise multiple times already and IMO fills in that ‘need to play civ’ feeling. G&k definitely enhanced it for the better

I just reaaaaaaaaaaally hope they add MP mod support..

6. Premium User Badge DrScuttles says:

It’s not you, Civ V, it’s me. I played so much Alpha Centaui that it’s just become engrained in my mind as to what default Civ is. When I got some edition of Civ V with a bunch of the extra contents in a sale and tried playing it, it just felt wrong and I couldn’t get into it.
    Most likely I just need to force myself into it one weekend. And in the game.

• Chalky says:

I wish Alpha Centauri IP wasn’t so tangled up (currently owned by EA I believe, who are sitting on it with no intention of licensing it) that we could hope for an XCOM style remake at some point. It’s such a great game, but Firaxis are not interested in a spiritual successor it seems.

• arabes says:

Oh God no, I don’t want an XCOM style remake of SMAC. The new XCOM was fine but it was not the same type of game as the original. I would love a remake of SMAC but I want it to keep the depth that the original had. The new XCOM did not keep it’s depth. And the Alien movement thing was fucking bull shit. Ok, I’m done now, sorry about :)

• Senethro says:

This is everyone’s reminder that alpha centauri and expansion are available from GoG in one package.

• Triplanetary says:

What’s funny is I had a stronger joygasm when GOG added Alien Crossfire than I did when they put Alpha Centauri up for sale in the first place.

7. Syt says:

Adam Sessler must be the scariest games commentator these days.

• Bhazor says:

He does look a bit like one of the missing Mitchell brothers.

• The Random One says:

A man who has no hair, no beard, no mustache, but does have sideburns is surely insane.

8. Vegard Pompey says:

This expansion sounds pretty darn cool and is actually making me glad that I pre-purchased XCOM: Enemy Unknown on a whim and received Civ V as a pre-purchase bonus. (Not that XCOM didn’t give me my money’s worth; it did end up being my GOTY)

9. Bishop says:

I was hoping this was going to add hatcheries, alphas, betas, gammas and epsilons not to mention the feelies and soma to keep the population happy.

10. Badreligion says:

Can’t wait for this Civ 5 was a good introduction to the genre before I moved on to crusader kings 2 but being they are pretty different games and my friends only play civ so I am looking forward to this. It sounds like they are really trying to make diplomacy more interesting this time.

11. Hunchback says:

The bald dude acts so awkwardly…

As for the expansion – i guess it will be great, will be time to install Civ again :)

12. jono says:

Oh man, so excited for this expansion. I always play a major pacifist and try to get along with every other civilization I meet, and I love just teching and developing my cities, but it really limits the possible dynamic with other civs. It’s also a bit of an anticlimax in the 19th / 20th century when you’ve run out of challenges and just put off finishing the game by adding the final part to the space race. Something like trade routes and archeology and diplomatic achievements sounds like it could really flesh those parts out :O

• MrLebanon says:

Genuine question: how do you pull off the pacifist approach? I find I usually hit a point where everyone is mad at me for being technologically and culturally advanced and they start denouncement-spamming and suddenly it is the whole world vs me (even my long time allies turn!)

Thus I start my games going tech/culture and end my games by nuking everyone to the ground

• jono says:

It helps to be pretty isolated so your territory doesn’t encroach too much on other civs. It’s also not a bad idea to keep up trade relations with everyone as much as you can, they will sooner or later get pissy because of the tech/culture gap, but if you have enough gold and interesting things for them they can at least be persuaded not to go to war with you. If the tech gap is big enough they won’t really stand a chance anyway (I consider self defense to be entirely in line with the pacifist play style >_>) and will give up after a while without you needing to bust out the nukes.

I won’t pretend I’m some great Civ V guru, I don’t think I’d stand a chance on the highest difficulties or in a multiplayer game. I’ve had problems with the issues you’re mentioning now too so I’m hoping Brave New World will have some more interesting ways of dealing with them :)

• arabes says:

Give them stuff and accede to their stupid demands. It’ll help to an extent but the AI is a bit fucked in this Civ and your opponents make some incomprehensible and seemingly random decisions.

13. Grape Flavor says:

I love Firaxis. The way they have relentlessly refined this game from a disappointment into something awesome really shows how committed they are to quality and doing right by the fans.

14. MentatYP says:

More options are nice and I’m very much looking forward to picking up this expansion when some e-tailer is selling it for super cheap. But have they fixed diplomacy instead of just adding another layer on top of a broken engine? Is it still virtually impossible to keep alliances and stay peaceful through an entire game? I like total annihilation as much as the next guy, but sometimes I just want to coast for a while and enjoy peace. It seems like the game never allows for that no matter how passive and peaceful you are to other civs.

• imralizal says:

I’m not a big fan of Civ V as compared to Civ IV, but yes, that particular problem seems to have been fixed. As long as you maintain a large enough military and manage your diplomacy reasonably well you can (sometimes) go through the whole game without a major war. Neighbors are still likely to try something at some point, but as long as you hold the line for 20 turns or so they’ll usually give up and sign a peace treaty. I believe the diplomacy mechanics are simpler than they used to be under the hood, but the feedback given to the player is much less schizophrenic and Civs in general are less warmongering.

15. Chedruid says: