First Fables Screens Show You What All That Howl Is For

By Alec Meer on May 9th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

The Wolf Among Us is what Telltale are calling their episodic adventure series based on Bill Willingham’s ‘what if fairy tales were real and in the present day?’ comic Fables, but let’s be honest, we’re all going to call it Fables even though it’ll confuse people who’ve only heard of Lionhead RPGs. So far all they’ve shared about their first post-Walking Dead game is some artwork and a précis, but in an unprecendent move in the games industry, they’ve now released some screenshots of their upcoming videogame. It has a lot in common with The Walking Dead’s comic art come to life look, but ramped up, gothier, stranger. I don’t really know the comics, but I dig the look of this a lot. Wolf these down.

This one’s just a man talking to a pig, but we can all see that sort of thing whenever we want:

These two, though, are much more impressive. So much so that I’ve taken four minutes out of my incredibly important and consequential day* to enable click-to-enlarge on them:

Those are some mighty detaily and evocative scenes, especially the first one. Also it looks a bit like the Batcave.

There are still no real details on how The Wolf Among Us Fables, though I’m expecting something broadly similar to TWD’s mix of conversational dilemma, oddly effective quicktime events and minor puzzling. We do have a little more on the plot, though:

“The Wolf Among Us puts players in the role of Bigby Wolf, a man once more infamously known as The Big Bad Wolf. Now the sheriff of a hidden community in New York City, exiled from the land of fairy tales, Bigby is tasked by the bureaucrat Snow White to keep order within a society of mythical creatures and characters trying to remain undetected in the world of the mundane. From a chain-smoking member of ‘The Three Little Pigs,’ to a car-stealing Mr. Toad itching for his next wild ride, The Wolf Among Us examines the lives of beings straight from the pages of myth and lore, now trying to survive on the meanest and most run-down streets of New York City.”

Sounds a bit Grimm to me.

Now, I’ll huff and I’ll puff and I’ll embed a tangentially relevant music video.

*Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaargh

, , .

1. Premium User Badge amateurviking says:

This looks lovely. Really must finish the last couple o’ episodes of The Walking Dead

• Zagra says:

You do that, man, you ain’t gonna regret finishing that game. Ever

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Do finish it. Well worth your time, good fellow. I can’t understand why it took a game dev so long to do something like this, but man am I glad they did. One if the few games to move me to tears.

• semout12 says:

Evan. I just agree… Patrick`s report is impressive… last tuesday I bought a great Volkswagen Golf GTI after I been earnin $8978 this-last/5 weeks an would you believe $10,000 last-munth. it’s realy the easiest-job Ive ever done. I began this 3 months ago and immediately got me over $73 per-hr. I went to this website wow65.com
      (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

2. soulblur says:

Fables (the comic) is great. A lot of potential there for a great game. The art actually translates really well into Telltale’s visual style. It’s a bit hard to tell how they’ll weave the existing stories together with what the game will cover – which wasn’t an issue with The Walking Dead.

Bigsby looks a lot more like Josh Holloway (aka Sawyer from Lost) than I expected him to though.

• Premium User Badge Matt_W says:

Seems to be a prequel to the main comic sequence, just like The Walking Dead. That must be Colin the pig chain smoking on Bigby’s couch. And in the mayor’s office, it looks like Ichabod Crane sitting behind the big desk while someone else (Snow?) sits at the assistant desk behind him.

• Resin says:

Fables is indeed great. TellTale building on success. Hell yeah!

3. Larkington says:

Looking at these screens make me hungry. Hungry like the wolf.

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

“I’m telling you, shaving my beard with your fists won’t work!”

• The Random One says:

Looking at these screens make me hungry. Hungry like the hippo.

4. staberas says:

THUNDER WOLFS!!!!!
    RATTA TATTA TATTA TATTA
    PEW PEW PEW

Oh wait … anyways sounds like they didnt got the Grimm/once upon a time show licence and did it their own one..

• Premium User Badge Matt_W says:

Fables has been in publication since 2002. For reference, that’s longer than The Walking Dead has been in publication.

• Resin says:

I like the show but once is a cheap knock off that didn’t get the Fables license.

5. Thingus says:

Getting a certain Mike Mignola vibe from this. And that’s fine.

• HisMastersVoice says:

The first screen with the flying monkey? Ripped right out of Hellboy. Do it Telltale.

6. lupusamicus says:

TV on the Radio FTW!!!

…Oh and now I really want to play this.

7. Lagwolf says:

A cigarette smoking pig ftw.

8. Wednesday says:

Soooo, like American Gods but without Neil Gaiman.

9. aliksy says:

Interesting. Walking Dead was the best rpg I’ve ever played, so I think I’ll keep an eye on this.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Why not? Maybe one of the few to actually live up to the acronym – being a Game where you actually Played a Role, as opposed to “RPGs” where you play accountant with your stats, retailer with your loot, or morse code operator with your mouse.

• Convolvulus says:

BioShock is an RPG because you’re playing a role. It’s an adventure game because there’s an exciting chain of events. It’s an RTS because you have to employ strategies in real-time. It’s survival horror because you have to survive a horrible situation. Yes, genres would be more useful if their entire definitions existed within their names.

• Eddard_Stark says:

So you haven’t played such RPG classics as Full Throttle or Grim Fandango?

• db1331 says:

I missed out on those. I think I was really big into FPSs like Monkey Island and Quest for Glory at the time.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

The first RPG I played was Ben There, Dan That! I’m waiting for that great Tim Schafer TPS, Broken Age.

• Ragnar says:

Haha, you guys are hilarious.

In his defense, The Walking Dead is a better Role Playing game than most Role Playing Games, provided you’re actually looking to play a role in your RPGs.

• aliksy says:

I haven’t. [edit: "I haven't" was in response to "So you haven’t played such RPG classics as Full Throttle or Grim Fandango?"]
        Explanation of joke: Calling it the best rpg I’ve played is both saying it is a very good game, and an insult to the “loaded down with filler combat” things like Bioware makes. Walking Dead has a much higher density-of-goodness.

edit: Ragnar has the right of it. Thank you, Ragnar.

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Who cares if it’s an rpg or not? It’s a darn /good/ experience. Any game that elicits an emotional response from me comes up top trumps in my book. Something that lets me explore new things and learn from another’s experience while also being entertaining? I wish more tv shows and games came in this format.

10. Choca says:

Lookin’ good. Haven’t kept up with Fables in years though, I wonder if it’s still as good as it used to be.

11. Tuco says:

This… looks quite good. Is it actually a Telltale game?

• Wedge says:

Yeah I was kind of dubious that they have the capacity for this degree of artistic output, technologically and otherwise. It does look fairly plausible though.

• Premium User Badge Matt_W says:

Did you not notice that The Walking Dead was probably last year’s premiere achievement in storytelling in a computer game? Or all the Game of the Year awards that it won? Telltale is the strange kid who sits by herself in the corner just tinkering away at whatever strange gadget she’s working on while everyone else laughs at her. And it turns out she’s invented a time machine or teleporter or cyber-T-rex or working lightsaber.

• Resin says:

or paying attention to good character driven narrative

• colossalstrikepackage says:

This. I really want more from whomever wrote Clem.

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Or better yet: a teleporting cyber-t-Rex with /dual/ light sabres. That would be muchos cool.

• Tuco says:

Did you not notice that every single Telltale game so far it’s been ugly as hell from a cosmetic viewpoint?

• Sordarias says:

You’re also assuming that a company is going to strictly make terrible cosmetic choices throughout heir career without changing.

An assumption that is patently silly.

12. BreadBitten says:

Praying to the Gods for a nod or two at Fairest, I love that series to death!

13. roryok says:

Third screenshot for some reason makes me think there should be an Archer game.

14. sockpuppetclock says:

Those screenshots just make me want a Hellboy game in Mignola’s style… :’(

15. strangeloup says:

I’m stuck in The Walking Dead because I’m an idiot. I know what I’ve got to do, but I can’t find a way to convince the other characters to do it. (Episode one, need to get the pharmacy key, and I’m sure I’ve got to turn on the TV’s over the road then smash the window with the convenient nearby brick to distract the zeds so I can go find it, but I seem to be missing a step somewhere.)

Anyway! This looks gorgeous. I hope the animation can match up with the lovely art style. Besides, the first two screens have a smoking pig and a flying monkey respectively, so I’m already sold.

• Rinox says:

I was a little confused by this part as well (only time I ever was in the series so that’s good). Basically…

*NO STORY SPOILERS BUT DON’T READ IF YOU WANT TO FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWN*

Try to use the remote on the televisions to the far left. After this, hand it to Doug and he will use the remote to turn on the TVs. First, knock off the lock with the fire axe. Push open the door and grab the brick. Throw the brick through the window of the TV store.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

*More non-story but-definitely-puzzle spoil:*

Have you gone on the run to the Motel with Glen first? You need to, otherwise you won’t have the fire axe. Then you can get the key when you’re back. That part was a little unintuitive.

• KingVrox says:

Yeah In the first episode they were still figuring out what they were doing and had a few really dumb puzzles like that. Just watch a Lets Play or something to figure it out if you cant get it. It gets a bit better in the later episodes.

• mechabuddha says:

I’m stuck in Episode 3. Game keeps bugging out and replaying the same cutscene every time I enter/leave the screen. And I don’t feel like playing the whole episode over again.

16. Cryo says:

Too bad Willingham is a piece of shit.

• greg_ritter says:

Please elaborate.

• Just Endless says:

From my perspective, it’s that he’s really, really pretentious.

Also irritating to some is that he’s exceedingly right-wing, and it shows in his work.

• Premium User Badge Matt_W says:

I have to say, I’m normally pretty sensitive to this stuff in genre literature. I’ve only read the first 3-4 story arcs (ending with Storybook Love), but I didn’t really notice the conservative lean to it. I mean, Goldilocks is a ruthless communist revolutionary, but she’s so overdrawn that it’s clearly satire and pretty inoffensive. The Fabletown as Israel thing went right over my head until I looked it up after reading this comment thread. And author intent isn’t something that I bother with that much unless the writing and storytelling suffer. I still read Dan Simmons, even though Flashback was an anti-Obama screed with dystopian sci-fi wrapped around it. I enjoy the Ender’s Game books even though Card is a raging homophobe. I will even read and enjoy the occasional Frank Miller book. (Terry Goodkind, though…. ugh, no thanks.)

• solidsquid says:

I really didn’t get the right wing thing at all from the writing, and was surprised he had to write a letter in response to all the people complaining about the comparison Wolf made between Fabletown and Israel. I just figured that was an aspect to that character’s personality, it seemed to fit fine with him and didn’t seem to be imposed on the story as a whole. Maybe it got more blatant later on I suppose, but if that’s the case it’s a bit of a disappointment

• Scelous says:

Your comment has actually been on my mind for hours. How is the writing pretentious? I’m genuinely curious.

I myself have strong liberal beliefs, but I didn’t really pick up on anything too conservative. There was that whole pro-life thing with Snow White, but I just figured that fables (the people) are old fashioned. The Israeli thing felt a bit more jarring, but I was able to shrug it off. As for the writing itself, I’m always very impressed with it. I like how Willingham creates new stories that still feel like old fables. Very cool, that.

But how is the writing pretentious? I feel like I’m missing something.

17. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

The evil stepmother did it.

18. The Random One says:

A pig smoking a cigarrette.

Both have seen better days.

19. Deadly Sinner says:

This is the first time I’ve been impressed by the graphics in a Telltale game. The first three are practically indistinguishable from a comic panel.

• Resin says:

I hope the animation is as good (can’t watch vid blocked by UMG).

20. BarbaraRedding27 says:

before I looked at the paycheck that said $5225, I accept that my friends brother woz like realey making money in their spare time on there computar.. there aunts neighbour had bean doing this 4 less than and at present paid the mortgage on there house and purchased a great Lancia. go to, Bow6.com

21. tomimt says:

I actually like the looks of this more than “The Walking Dead”. The art looks much cleaner and crisper, like it’s really inked rather than just 3D with textures on it.

22. Kirjava says:

Dribble. Will be buying at first opportunity.