Peek Into The Forest Trailer

By Craig Pearson on May 9th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

This is not a forest, but it is is how you get to one in the game.

The Lost game Ubisoft put out a few years ago was a stinky pile of monster droppings. It was such a shame: if they’d managed to do it correctly, they might have stolen a march on what can only be described as a tsunami of survival games. It’s a genre that’s exploded in recent years. There’s people vs zombies, there’s people vs dinosaurs, and now there’s people vs trees, in The Forest. Oh, alright. I’m joking. But it’s what’s in the trees that’s scary.

It has a lot of the building blocks of Lost: you’re the survivor of a planecrash that lands on an island. The music is plunky piano Lost-style, and the island looks lush, with a tide that rises and rolls, and plants that will grow and die. During the day it’s a proper game of collection and building, where you’ll hunt for resources to build a camp. Fires will need built, food gathered. The resources to make shelter, barricades and traps will need to be sourced before night falls.

Because elsewhere on the island are a collection of GENETIC MUTANT HUMANS!

[Lost intro sting]

See, it’s not enough that you survive against nature. Not when there’s loads of unnature to invent and make angry and scary. They look like naked Slender Men, and clearly have an irrational fear of smokers. Though the trailer puts the player right in their cave, there’s a few ways of dealing with them, including running and hiding, or standing ground at your own fort.

Guess what? You’re right, there’s a Greenlight page for it.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. RedViv says:

Mutants? Man. I’m never gonna see a merman game.

• meloncrab says:

Looks like you will at least get your own cabin in the woods.

• semout12 says:

Evan. I just agree… Patrick`s report is impressive… last tuesday I bought a great Volkswagen Golf GTI after I been earnin $8978 this-last/5 weeks an would you believe $10,000 last-munth. it’s realy the easiest-job Ive ever done. I began this 3 months ago and immediately got me over $73 per-hr. I went to this website wow65.com
        (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

• Grover says:

Eh, the clean up on Mermen is a nightmare anyways.

2. staberas says:

If it has 0% hud , no Lost refereences and not a crappy ending (again like Lost) ill buy it

3. JR says:

Really hope that monster model is just a placeholder. I like the vaugness of the form, but I actually laughed out loud when it popped up.

• Ross Angus says:

I found them creepy. I think it’s the shader which makes them look sort of jelly-like.

• gshauger says:

Where as I’m hoping for the opposite

• GHudston says:

Me too. I just don’t think I can take a horror game seriously when the antagonists are men in white lycra body suits.

4. Cytrom says:

Cool. Don’t Starve.. in cryengine 3.

5. Swert says:

This game does look interesting. Also I’m surprised RPS hasn’t chosen to cover the Darkwood Indiegogo yet http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/darkwood

• Klingsor says:

Thanks for the hint. Didn’t know they wanted to campaign for crowdfunding but their gameplay trailer was terrific…backed it

6. Hrunting says:

My gosh that is the best railer I’ve seen since Prometheus

7. Javaa01 says:

frankly this sorta looks like an interactive version of lost to me. exept the the smoke monster is a pack of mutants or what ever.
    (do excuse me if im being too harsh about this)

8. Hmm-Hmm. says:

It actually looked interesting. That is, until the zombies/mutants/monsters showed up.

• Geen says:

It would be better with like, say, bears and shit. Or maybe a single dude, armed with high tech gadgets and a Gillie suit hunting you while you attempted to survive.

9. jonahcutter says:

DayZ isn’t people vs zombies. It’s a player vs player deathmatching over weapon spawns on a very large map. With a largely inconsequential zombie-survival window dressing.

If you want a game that focuses on zombie-survival, try Project Zomboid.

• gshauger says:

Without the Zombies DayZ would be a lame version of Call of Duty

10. DeviroVerity says:

On the GreeinLight page it says that there will be an Oculus Rift support. I think – IT’S A TRAP! I mean: if I play this game with Rift I think I may die from a hearth attack.

11. BarbaraRedding27 says:

If you think Christine`s story is nice…, 1 week ago my sisters father in law basically broght in $4814 just sitting there sixteen hours a week from there apartment and the’re friend’s mom`s neighbour did this for 4 months and actually earnt over $4814 parttime on line. the information from this address, Jump44.com

12. jacko says:

Very much reminds me of the creatures in http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/?ref_=sr_2