Tonight: Come Play Planetside 2 With Us!

By Jim Rossignol on May 9th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Tonight on Planetside 2‘s Miller server, from 7pm UK, we will be doing laser war. Everyone is invited. You are doubly invited if you haven’t played the game before. On the Vanu faction, our heroic team of giraffe-fatigued warriors will be organising platoons for you all to play in, making an ideal introduction to the game. They’ve provided a guide to play which you can read here. That’s presented as a video, if you want to watch it as such, below. Also: action video!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Clavus says:

Protip: launch Planetside 2 RIGHT NOW and make sure it’s updated before you’re stuck pulling in a multi-gigabyte patch tonight before you can play.

2. JimboDeany says:

How system hungry is this game? I’ve got a laptop that is happy playing the likes of Portal 2, dawn of war etc so is it likely to struggle?

• Revolving Ocelot says:

Very hungry. I can run Portal 2 (and most other modern games) at decent settings, but Planetside 2 was an unplayable <8 FPS at the lowest settings for me.

• JimboDeany says:

Doh. May give it a go anyway, seems like an enjoyable game…

• BTAxis says:

I think it’s just a random thing. I have a pretty powerful PC, but the framerate drops to about 8FPS for no reason all the time.

• varangian says:

My PC is mostly bits and bobs > 5yrs old – it’s a self-build so components get updated now and then and the graphics card is a bit more modern. It can play Portal etc. well enough and likewise PS2 so I’d guess any reasonably specced modern laptop should do OK with a bit of tweaking to the settings. However the biggest problem – apart from the frequent crashes, although the latest patches have seemed to improve that – is that on occasion the whole network side of the thing can get totally bogged down. Wander through a deserted facility and you’ll be fine, get into a big battle and you may be fine until suddenly your FPS drops to < 1 at which point you're a free kill for anyone unaffected. The client seems to get totally out of sync with the data being sent to it by the server- or perhaps the lack of data – and dies the death. I'd give it a go but don't expect a smooth ride, if it's any consolation even guys with ninja rigs and excellent connections suffer from this.

• EsotericReverie says:

Due to the large amounts of players, bullets, and stuff that can be within your sphere of vision at one time (roughly 300 metres wide), both bandwidth and CPU are heavily taxed to cope with all the information that needs to be processed. A slow CPU is much worse than a bad graphics card in Planetside 2. Lowering graphics quality settings does not alleviate CPU/network issues, naturally.

Press Alt+F to see your FPS and a general indicator on whether it is CPU or GPU (graphics card) that is limiting your framerate. if GPU, lower some settings, primarily shadows and render distance/quality sliders. If it’s CPU, there’s really not much to be done.

That said, the game is well worth a try!

• JimboDeany says:

I’ve got an i5 processor so hopefully it’ll be fine then. Graphics card is a couple of years old now but will hopefully do the job.

• EsotericReverie says:

Yeah, i5 should be able to cope. I’ve heard people have been having trouble with Core 2 Duo CPUs and the like, though.

• Didero says:

I’ve got a Core 2 Duo (E8400, so it’s a pretty decent C2D, but still), and it runs for me. On lowest settings, and it does bog down when there’s a lot going on, but it is playable.
            And pretty fun, with the RPS crew!

• Low Life says:

I have a laptop from last year with a dual-core Ivy Bridge i5 and Geforce 640M, the last time i tried PS2 on it (in December I think) the game was unplayable :(

• HighlordKiwi says:

It’s got a lot better since December (still resource intensive, but better).

• phelix says:

PS2 is very CPU-heavy (and uses only one core for everything), and it is very picky in which CPUs can run it. Very few AMD CPUs can run it, and while it seems to be somewhat Intel biased in terms of optimization, having an Intel CPU is not a safe bet either. I’ve seen forum posts of people with i7′s and high tier graphics cards complaining about single digit FPS, although the overwhelming majority of users with problems seems to be the AMD crowd.

• Skhalt says:

It was unplayable on my old Core2Duo, but runs flawlessly on my new i5-3750K.
        Needless to say: don’t even bother trying if you are still on a 32-bit system, at best you’ll be crashing every 10 minutes (and since Call to Arms are usually quite crowded, probably much faster).

3. Crimsoneer says:

Join us, it’s awesome. It’s time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, people. The ass of freedom and the bubblegum of military totalitarianism.

• BTAxis says:

The Ass of Freedom sounds like it needs to be an official mascot.

• protorp says:

Seriously, if you have any liking for FPSes you have to give this game a go. I’d never (everever) played an MMO, and barely ever played any online multiplater games before PS2. I’ve now put more than twice as many hours into it than any other game in my steam library. Nothing I’ve ever played has conjured the idea of being a soldier in an overly dramatic future laser war one tenth as well as this game can…

4. Armante says:

Your 7pm is my 8am, at which point I’d already be at work :(

Also, are there _any_ RPS PS2 groups that play as TR, rather than against them?

• AngoraFish says:

Sadly, it will be 4am here, and even with my late-night ways that’s just not going to happen. :(

• Svant says:

There were a few TR players in the very beginning of the beta but alas the biggest RPS group is Vanu, there is also a smaller NC group. But no active TR currently.

• mondomau says:

PC Gamer UK (with whom RPS occasionally have a gentlemanly set-to ) play TR on Miller , so you could hop on board with them, you filthy traitor.

• samsharp99 says:

That’s what I did – the PCG bunch are fun to play with. While we probably won’t have quite as much representation as at the last one, at least some of us are planning to jump on to make life miserable for the RPS Vanu ;)

5. aircool says:

I’ll join in again tonight as I haven’t tried since they introduced the new colour blind options. Hopefully I’ll be able to work out which squad is which, which is the correct transport and which is the correct waypoint.

• Svant says:

Waypoints are still impossible to see the difference between imho, but at least you can tweak the settings for enemy and friendly colors so that they do not blend with the colors of squads.

• EsotericReverie says:

And squads have got their colours changed a bit, don’t know how much it helped for colour blind people, though.

• Svant says:

Delta being black helps alot, but Alpha and Bravo are still the same to me :p

• aircool says:

I’m glad there are brothers who share my frustration… Now. Who’s also left handed?

6. Hazzard65 says:

The NC will stop you in your tracks VS scum.

• EsotericReverie says:

You have all the vets, we will have all the newbies, no, ALL THE NEWBIES! We’ll see what happens. Should be a good fight either way.

• mondomau says:

See, I’m torn – we play NC regularly on Miller, but I started a VS alt just so I could roll with the RPS faction. Trouble is, the opportunity of shooting one of the Castle Shotgun residents in the face is sooo very tempting….

• MrEclectic says:

It was a fun evening, and eventually we warpgated the NC.

Oh, sorry, you were saying?

7. Ksempac says:

I’m so psyched up for this. Planetside 2 is a lot of fun, and I’m very happy that i will get to show it to newcomers as one of the volunteer squad leaders for tonight.

Join us for pewpew lasers, friendly chat, teamplay and general fun :D

8. finalfanatik says:

Looking forward to this – will be my first time playing PS2 in a group, rather than just following the crowd on my lonesome.
    On a side note – I currently have to play PS2 in Spanish, owing to the ##UI bug. Changing languages in the launcher doesn’t help. I can read Spanish, so this isn’t too much of a problem, but does anyone have any other fixes?

• EsotericReverie says:

No, sorry, haven’t had any problems like this, nor heard of any, actually…

Anyhow, welcome aboard! Hope you’ll like it. Playing with a group, even one as semi-organised as us, makes such a huge difference, I really can’t find words to express it. At least for me it did. I will not play this game solo any more.

• finalfanatik says:

Ah well, like I said, not that big a deal. It just means I’ll spend a few extra minutes in menus xD
        I’m genuinely excited about this. I haven’t taken part in proper multiplayer in years.

9. Parge says:

Ok, I’ve played about an hour of PS2 and still have no real idea whats is going on (compared to BF3 for example, of which I have a deep understanding).

If I pop in at about 6.45 is there going to be a platoon for me to join, and players to give guidance? I’m a FPS veteran so I’ll pick it up fast, but pointers here and there will be needed.

• Antilogic says:

Yes, there will be a welcome channel in Mumble and you will be able to ask any questions you like, and given instructions on how to join the outfit and get into a platoon

• HighlordKiwi says:

Everything should be set up to ease you into the game. We’re expecting to explain things to new players who couldn’t tell an SCU from a Horizontal Genny (oo err missus).

• Ksempac says:

Don’t worry. Beginners are welcome, that’s the whole point of the event!

PS2 is a deep game (at least by FPS standard), but when you play in a squad it’s easy to understand the 4 or 5 most important points. I played 7h solo, before joining the outfit, and i can tell you i learnt a lot more in my first hour with the outfit than the 7h solo!

So yeah we’re expecting that many people tonight will come with no prior knowledge of the game. You will be part of a 12 people squad so it will be easy to ask questions and get answers. I know that as squad leader i will teach my squad the few main points they need to know to enjoy the game before we start the actual fight. I expect others squad leaders will do the same.

Also, don’t be worried about your FPS skills. PS2 prevents spawn kills, has no concept of feeding the ennemy, so your individual performance (or lack thereof) isn’t important. The most important thing is the team play.

10. Schiraman says:

Great! I love PS2, I play Vanu and my friends and I play every Thursday night!
    There’s only one problem with all of this: my character is on Cobalt*.

Could we consider maybe moving the RPS Outfits from Miller to Cobalt? I think we can all agree that’s the most logical solution.

* Well, fine, I do have one on Miller, but he’s only BR4. My main on Cobalt is BR54.

11. benjamin says:

Is this is the EU version or the US version?

• Ksempac says:

Miller is a EU server

• benjamin says:

Thank you kindly, I played Planetside 2 in Beta and then never since. But I’ve got a evening free so should hopefully be along!

• Low Life says:

Miller is a EU server. The players aren’t restricted in any way from joining servers in other regions, though of course there’s always the issue of latency.

• Sinomatic says:

I have an alt on connery (US west) – I’m in the UK I didn’t notice a huge problem with latency. So anyone usually playing on other servers should certainly come and give it a go.

12. Pedanticjase says:

Gutted that I am missing this :(

13. Flobulon says:

Haven’t played since beta but I think I’ll hop in tonight for some sexy purple fun, looking forward to it! Thanks to everyone who’s taken the time to organise this :)

14. Wedge says:

If only the internet could reach to the other side of the world a bit faster =<

15. JarinArenos says:

Any chance of this ever happening at a time where us poor Pacific folks can join in?

16. T-Bone says:

Dang I was really looking forward to this, but try as I might I could not get a frame rate in the double digits. Ah well, maybe next time.