DUBSTEP GUN: Seven Minutes Of Saints Row IV

By Nathan Grayson on May 10th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

The Dubstep Gun isn't as impressive when not in motion, so here's the equally ridiculous Inflate-O-Ray.

The countless hours of discerning thought put into all those dumb, mindless “top 10 videogame gun” lists have just been rendered pointless. Wanna know why? Because DUBSTEP GUN. It is the most sublimely ridiculous thing I’ve seen in ages – pretty much since, er, the entirety of Saints Row: The Third. People struck by its sledgehammer-like beats fall into a state of physics-defying slow-mo undulation, equal parts stylishly modern and grotesquely unnatural. It is, in other words, a thing of the purest beauty. Oh, and it’s just the focus of this Saints Row IV video’s first couple minutes. A preview of the remaining five: “We decided that Saints Row needs a mech.”

The mech did The Robot to electronic music. That is just… yes.

And then came the super powers, which look like all the good parts of Crackdown 2 (pretty much just the super powers) mixed with Half-Life 2′s end-of-game gravity gun. Leaping and soaring and plummeting into crowds like a bowling ball hurled by Zeus – all of it feels so delightfully maniacal. And that’s just my impression from watching. I quite desperately want to play this one for myself.

Saints Row IV may well be the videogamest of the videogames. It quite obviously knows that about itself and – more importantly – embraces it with hulking, sleeveless Uncle Sam arms. Maybe it’ll take the craziness to a point that ends up feeling forced or perhaps these new elements won’t be as game-changing as they seem, but so far, all indications suggest that Saints Row IV will be far more than a glorified expansion to The Third. Color me excited. And egregiously purple.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. RedViv says:

So it’s really very much Saints Row: The Ridiculousening.
    I’m okay with that.

• TheInsider64 says:

Actually it’s Saints Row: The Third with Prototype 2 features. Honestly, even animations look the same. Not that I mind.

• Gnoupi says:

To be honest, a Prototype game not taking itself seriously and just letting you do whatever you find fun without punching you to the ground every 5 seconds would be exactly what I want.

• Liudeius says:

Prototype took itself seriously?
          It must have been wedged in there somewhere between kicking helicopters out of the sky and running up the sides of buildings.

That entire game felt like messing around to me.

• SketchyGalore says:

Of course it took itself seriously. Prototype was one of those self-unaware games. You have cutscenes where the protagonist is struggling with the loss of his humanity… prior to which you’ve run over 50 innocent people with a tank in under a minute. Saints Row 2 seem to be laughing at themselves progressively more, which isn’t really a bad thing.

• Grargh says:

Running up buildings was the only thing I really missed in this trailer. How could they use all the glorious stuff from Prototype and forget this?

• Gnoupi says:

It was messing around until you were getting to the actual missions. Then it was some dramatic, super serious stuff.

But the largest offender was mostly how it was giving you great powers… and at the same time enemies pinning you down or knocking you down every second, preventing you from actually feeling powerful.

• Convolvulus says:

Alex Mercer was “struggling with the loss of his humanity”? I think someone missed a plot point. It was Prototype 2 that dropped the storytelling ball in that regard.

• Shooop says:

To Convolvulus:

Yeah. The first Prototype was Alec trying to figure out just what the hell was going on ever since he woke up on an operating table. It presented him from the very beginning as morally ambiguous.

• semout12 says:

Evan. I just agree… Patrick`s report is impressive… last tuesday I bought a great Volkswagen Golf GTI after I been earnin $8978 this-last/5 weeks an would you believe $10,000 last-munth. it’s realy the easiest-job Ive ever done. I began this 3 months ago and immediately got me over $73 per-hr. I went to this website wow65.com
          (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

2. Stan Lee Cube Rick says:

More wubstep guns: http://youtu.be/hDlif8Km4S4

3. Prime says:

Fuck yeah.

SR3 was brilliant fun. Better than GTA IV by miles. I love that they’re going even more batshit for the next game.

• BreadBitten says:

Can we please stop comparing Grand Theft Auto with Saints Row? I think it’s safe to say that both games are pretty much two entirely separate entities within every fiber of their beings, by now.

On topic, this looks so insanely fun! This is exactly what eight-to-nine year old me was imagining every time the term “adult entertainment” was mentioned by some nearby grown up.

• Milky1985 says:

Yep you can’t compare Saints Row to GTA any more, saints row seems to have realised that games are meant to be fun and not family member taxi simulators!

• Juan Lebedev says:

GTA IV was plenty fun. Stop trying to distinguish it as incredibly serious. Just because it doesn’t reach the ungodly stupid heights of Saints Row doesn’t mean it’s a Scorsese drama.

• Prime says:

It kinda thought it was a Scorsese drama, though, judging by all the incredibly sober cutscenes. Even in terms of GTA’s own history it was the most serious game yet, by a long margin.

• Laurentius says:

@Prime
            GTA IV defnietly wasn’t serious stuff i can hardly belive people were actually playing this game to claim such thing. There only a couple of this “serious” moments, but most of what even looked “serious” is totally undermined by Niko’s sarcasm. Niko is most sarcastic character i can recall in video games and almost universally disliked by RPS commenters who just looking at their commnets value sarcasm immenesly. I wondered about it and then it clicked, most of Niko’s sarcasm is directed at “first world” modern society that majority of RPS commenters are part of, and they in fact don’t like sarcasm being directed at them (exectly like those who take every saracastic attempt by RPS when discussing sexsim at face value and threaten to leave or how they disrespected the audience, blah, blah ). Good writig R*.

• Prime says:

So two open-world, mission and cut-scene based running, fighting, driving, piloting and shooting simulators are not to be mentioned as being very nearly the same as each other? They may have been very different tonally but in terms of what they are they’re practically family.

If you also take into account the history of the series, SR1 and 2 practically being straight GTA ‘clones’, then I think trying to dismiss any similarities between them is plain daft.

• BreadBitten says:

By your logic, it’s plausible enough to compare the weighty and lumbering Battlefield games to the twitchy and fast paced Quake series, just because they both happen to feature guns, are played from the first person perspective and require the WASD keys to command movement.

Everyone and their grandma know that Saints Row started off as a very well-meaning homage to Grand Theft Auto and has more recently began metamorphosing into the beautifully unique butterfly it is now. Comparing it to it’s past infatuation (which is slowly charting it’s own territories) is simply too redundant by now.

• The Random One says:

So what you’re saying is that comparing Saints’ Row and GTA is like comparing Quake and Battlefield: a completely common thing lots of people do because the two games are in the same genre, despite whatever differences they might have in tone and focus?

4. Low Life says:

The super powers may just have sold this game to me.

5. OfficerMeatbeef says:

I’m a little bit unsettled that I was just thinking literally yesterday “you know, I am surprised Saints Row doesn’t seem to have mechs yet” so I guess now I’m not surprised. And really, not unsettled.

6. Meister of Articulate Statelments says:

I hated this…

7. Engonge says:

I enjoyed the hell out of sr3 and this looks so much better. I hope they improve the multiplayer, even though it was heaps of fun it had way too many glitches.

8. SkittleDiddler says:

Fucking dubstep…

9. Kollega says:

I heard the producer claim that only Saints Row can offer such insane weapons as a Dubstep Gun, and i have to point out that the Ratchet & Clank series had the Groovitron, which is essentially a Disco Grenade, since 2007, and the concept for it (called the “Rainbow Afrolizer”) was originally invented as far back as 2003, but couldn’t be executed back then due to lack of processing power on the PS2.

In general, Ratchet & Clank has a ton of weapons ranging from “slightly unusual” to “balls-to-the-wall insane” in each game, so SR IV isn’t the first to offer that – not by a long shot. Neither is R&C, probably, but they did the whole “crazy weapons” thing before SR, is what i’m getting at.

Although to be fair to Saints Row, R&C doesn’t let you play as a gang-leader-turned-President-of-the-US.

10. Serpok says:

Why is president murdering pedestrians?

11. Liudeius says:

The beginning should have said “this game is anticipated to be immature.”

I still can’t see this as any more than stand-alone DLC for SR3. Their superpowers thus far look LESS interesting than Prototype.

12. ghling says:

So they added Prototype into Saints Row now?

13. Teovald says:

That’s the biggest amount of nonsense I have seen in a long time. But for a Saints Rows game, that’s kind of a good thing.

14. Megakoresh says:

As fun as this looks, this is not worth full price. I will not buy it on release if it’s full price because I have and played SR3.

15. Hunchback says:

Never played any SR game before… I think this is about to change.

This game looks just totally absurd and ridiculous and purely awesome in a retarded way! Why have i missed 3 of them already?

• basilisk says:

Beware that the first SR is not much more than a fairly straightforward GTA3 clone (not to mention console exclusive) and SR2, while a ton of fun, features a quite heavy dissonance between openly cartoonish elements and GTA-style “gang life is tough and brutal” realism (also, the PC port is absolutely terrible, but can be modded to a pretty decent state). Then they fully embraced the crazy in SR3 and the result was glorious.

This looks like SR3 with more stuff to do, which is pretty much exactly what I’m asking for.

• Liudeius says:

Skip 1.

Play 2.
      It’s not as absurd, but it’s considered by many to be the best because it focuses more on content than the puerile surface appeal and going-out-of-business THQ penny pinching which 3 focused on. (Playing it is not necessary, most characters from it are now dead.)

Probably Skip 3.
      This game looks exactly like 3 (it’s on the same map with the same engine), just with a bit more content.

All you have missed is the slow build up from becoming a city wide power to becoming a national power. Also a few axuiliary characters, but they don’t really matter. Character writing is absurdly shallow in Saint’s Row, and they die so quickly (especially if they use the good ending of SR3), that I doubt you will miss anything actually important.

16. Lazarus_Soma says:

I would really love for this game to actually be good, unlike the last one; though considering how the series is simply trying to cram as much “wacky, silly, random zanyness(?)” as it can into the sequels i honestly doubt that’ll be happening any time soon.

17. Da5e says:

Are the other Saint’s Row games this mental? I have 2 and 3, but found the first hour so dull I couldn’t be bothered to go any further…

• basilisk says:

SR3 definitely is. I presume you are talking about the first hour of SR2 which is admittedly pretty weak, though it gets better later. Try SR3 instead; the opening hour of that is just packed with explodey silliness. Don’t worry about story continuity; SR3 works perfectly well on its own.

• Lazarus_Soma says:

Depending on wether or not your playing it on console I’d say go back and play 2, I had the exact same response at first with it when it first came out, just said eh this is way too arcady for me and went back to gta iv; then I got bored of that and went back into saints row at yahtzees reccomendation and never looked back it gets ridiculously better as it goes along and blows everything volition have been churning out, out of the water.

18. stahlwerk says:

This truly is the future.

19. kael13 says:

Please tell me the Brit voice actor is back, because he was so badass. And should definitely be the President.

• basilisk says:

Don’t know about the Brit voice actor, but Laura Bailey is already confirmed to be back, which is the best possible news. Because she is the Boss.

20. PopeRatzo says:

I’m surprised to see so many people describing this game as “weird” when basically it’s every dumb video game/action movie convention stuffed into one game.

“Weird” would have been if the game had no guns at all and the Saints were working to help middle-school kids stay out of gangs. Weird would have been if the leader of the Saints was now working as the assistant manager of a big-box store, married with a kid on the way, living downstairs from his inlaws and trying to stay straight and away from his previous associates. This is not “weird”, this is stupid.

And I will so play the hell out of this game. Because this kind of stupid is like crack to me.

21. Montavious says:

Seeing this really makes me yearn for a real superhero gta/sr type of game. Why hasn’t this happened yet?

• Dominic White says:

It kinda did back with Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, which was a far better superhero game than Prototype, despite being by the same studio and a much earlier game. Prototype had a problem with enemies just stunlocking you – Hulk had a grapple-centric combat engine and lots of hulk-sized enemies (power-armored soldiers) to trade punches with.

It also had the best stealth mission ever. Hulk infiltrates a military base by smashing a truck over his head and wearing it like Solid Snake does a cardboard box, complete with hulk-feet visible underneath.

• Dominic White says:

That it was. It’s also why I’m going to be harshly comparing the superpowered combat in SR4 to Hulk, because it’s been 8 years since it came out, and nobody has managed to produce a superhero combat engine as entertaining in an entire super-extended console generation.

• Nihil says:

What made that mission even better was the fact that the hulk feet under the truck left a trail of smashed concrete and ripped up turf behind them…which nobody noticed. It was so deliberately and obviously taking the piss it was glorious.

This was also the game that had a move where hulk would pick up a passing bus, smash it flat, either use it as a shield to charge at things or OR SURF DOWN THE STREET ON IT LIKE IT WAS A MALIBU BOARD THEN BACKFLIP-KICK IT INTO AN ATTACK HELECOPTER. All with you in full control.

• Dominic White says:

And to top off the stealth mission, there was nothing stopping you from just dropping the disguise and going nuts (as a Hulk do), but it was just so beautifully silly that you wanted to keep going – seeing Hulk sneaking was a rare and beautiful thing that had to be prolonged as much as possible.

22. strangeloup says:

This looks spectacularly dumb, and also like the most fun thing ever. The thing that amazed me most is that the guy doing the voiceover managed to maintain a fairly serious demeanour throughout, even sounding vaguely bored occasionally.

Definitely looks quite Prototype-y, and the aliens look quite similar to the monsters from there (also, evil aliens called Xen?) but seems to have entirely jettisoned the SERIOUS GRIMDARK tone of Prototype (and, indeed, any semblance of seriousness whatsoever) which, while actually not too bad a story, was a bit at odds with the sheer amount of entertaining dicking about you could engage in.

The dubstep gun appears to shoot Skrillex (there’s an idea…) so I’m assuming it causes death by profuse bleeding from the ears.

23. SuicideKing says:

From Polygon:

Phillips added, “I can tell you there are more people [at Volition] that want to make FreeSpace,” referring to the studio’s pre-THQ space combat series. “Every company meeting there is a question about, ‘Will there be another FreeSpace game?’”

If there is, it will have to conform to the studio’s new goals: “The player is an agent of mayhem” and “We make open world games that are connected experiences.”

I’ll probably cry if they make SaintsSpace III or FreeRow III. Not out of joy, mind you.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

That’s a really odd decision. “We would love to make a sequel to a much-beloved game that is still talked about to this day, about 15 years later, but sadly we can’t find a way to make it a sliding-tile match-3 game, and we like those these days”.

• Dominic White says:

I guess it makes sense on a purely commercial level. They’ve found a way to pay the bills. Much loved (and endlessly enduring thanks to mods and open-sourcing) as Freespace 2 is, it was a bit of a commercial flop.

• Cooper says:

They are not the same developer.

They will have had staff changes. They will have a creative team that does one thing -very- well.

It would be silly not to captialise on what you do best…

24. Cooper says:

The best recommendation I got about SR3 was to play it on “casual”. I think it was the PCG review.

The game doesn’t need to be difficult to be an absurd amount of fun…

• phuzz says:

But then the top levels of all of the skills were basically cheat modes, eg SMG lvl 1 was 25% more ammo, lvl 5 was INFINITE AMMO!

• darkChozo says:

SR3 late game was silly. You were essentially invincible. As I recall, literally the only way to die was to be inside an exploding vehicle.

25. DrZhark says:

I better be allowed to play as a hot scantly dressed chick, like on SR3, or there will be blood

26. Jupiah says:

Not sure how I feel about the superpowers. They look awesome, but they kind of seem like they’d make driving vehicles rather pointless. Crackdown got around this issue by making your leaping and running start off only mildly superhuman and grow with use over time, and by making “driving” a superpower of it’s own that makes cars become faster and tougher and grow more nitros and attached guns the better of a driver you are, logic be damned.

Hopefully Saints Row 4 does something similar to limit the superpowers in some way or to make driving more attractive or there will never be any reason to drive around one of those wonderful looking monster trucks (which it looks like they’ve finally gotten to work right, monster trucks in Saints Row 2 were damn near useless because they bounced off of other cars instead of crushing them).

27. Christian says:

Hmm: “This video is private”.

Am I the only one getting this..meaning I’m the only person in the world excluded from watching it? That would be quite sad…

28. beeblebrx says: