Heavy Hitter: Batman: Arkham Origins Gallery

By Craig Pearson on May 10th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

My brain’s reaction to Batman is to remix the music from the TV show, the Tim Burton movie, and the U2 song. Oh look, there are some new Batman: Arkham Origins screenshots! Sigh. That’ll be in there for the rest of the day now. What if I can’t get it out? What if it lodges in there, and the inevitable happens and I turn mad and, because mental illness and villainy seem to go hand-in-hand in the Batman universe, evil? Mashup sounds like a good name for a bad guy: I’ll create music from the bones of other songs. My choons will be so layered that people will be driven insane attempting to unravel each element. They won’t realise that I’ve made my music from an infinite number of songs, trapping them in a hypnotic appreciation of my DJ skills forever. I’ll replace the Bat Signal with a Winamp visualiser, and all of Gotham will be trapped by my phat beats, and my sidekicks DubStep and Autotune will steal their wallets.

Did I just create the best Batman villain, ever? I think so. I can only hope that Batman appreciates my songs as much as he enjoys punching people. I suspect with his bat ears, he’ll be even more receptive.

I’d middle-mouse these screens, as they’re bigger than most monitors. It’s out October 25th.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Bhazor says:

“I’d middle mouse these screens”

What does that….? Ooooooooh. I didn’t know computers could do that.

• brulleks says:

I just went through the same process of discovery. It’s amazing what you learn on RPS.

stahlwerk says:

Use ctrl + click, cut out the middle mouse.

Edit: wait, no, why doesn’t this work on RPS? It’s devilry, I says!

• Solidstate89 says:

Why would anyone in their right mind want to do that over middle mouse clicking?

Are you a mad man!?

• Benny says:

My overused wobbly middle mouse button would disagree with you here. The less clicks is has to do the more it can enjoy it’s aging in peace.

• Valvarexart says:

Some men keep their hands on their keyboard and LMB at all times, and in such cases it is more comfortable to ctrl-LMB than MMB.

• Hunchback says:

You didn’t know that middle clicking a link opens it up in a new tab?
      How on earth did you even browse till now? :D

• Dowr says:

My middle mouse isn’t working, the shots of screen still open in the same window.

Stupid mouse; do as I command!

• Ross Angus says:

Try middle-mouse clicking on a tab. It closes!

• nearly says:

dunno why I had to try it out on this one, I was learning so much

• empyrion says:

Then this will blow your mind: Ctrl+Shift+T reopens the most recently closed tab.

• Hunchback says:

This thread has more educative value than most IT classes in engineer school!
            Thanks RPS!11

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Ctrl+T opens a new Tab
            Alt+D puts the cursor on the URL bar and Ctrl+k on the search bar, at least on the Animal-based browser. Not Safari.

• jonahcutter says:

bleargh…

I’m on a Mac at the moment, and all middle mouse clicking does it bring up the stupid date, time, temperature overlay.

Curse you Steve Jobs.

p.s. It’s 67 degrees somewhere in LA right now.

• SkittleDiddler says:

That’s an oddly specific use for a middle-mouse click. Apple is strange.

• soundofvictory says:

Even better than middle click is, if you’re using chrome, this cool extension named HoverZoom. You just hover your mouse over the image, and BAM! It gets biggified right in place! It doesn’t work everywhere on all sites, but for the most part it works satisfactorily for me.

Fitzmogwai says:

Why is the moon so big? Maybe one of the super-villains has actually trapped it with a magnetic ray and is dragging it down to collide with Earth and Batman Arkham Origins is all about Batman trying to stop it by punching the moon.

• Ansob says:

It’s actually a Majora’s Mask/Arkham City crossover game.

• 1Life0Continues says:

An agent of the moon killed Bruce Wayne’s parents.
      It’s just watching as she finishes the job.

“Batman’s newest foe, Lunartic. She’s not just a heavenly body…”

• Justin Keverne says:

The moon is a normal size, that’s just an image of one of Batman’s finishers where he throws a goon into space before smashing his face into the sidewalk and knocking him out, because obviously Batman doesn’t kill anybody.

• HadToLogin says:

There’s a comic book “Boys” by Garth Ennis. There’s parody of Batman there, he has some problems with his libido. It ends with him saving Earth from “space object” by using his… most important tool.

• Pray For Death says:

They probably shot the scene from over 1 mile away with a Canon 800mm and 2X.

See here: http://vimeo.com/56298775

edit: just realized, this looks like a goddamn spam post

• jonahcutter says:

hmmm…

Pointing out that your post looks like a spam post thus engendering a feeling of security in clicking on the link.

The bots are getting more cunning by the day.

I AM NOT PARANOID

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Even worse, the link actually goes where it says it goes.
          MADNESS!

3. Shezo says:

Is it just me or batman’s suit got more armored/ bulky and less “comicky” ?

• TaylanK says:

Shhh… Batman used to have a little weight problem back in the day, coping with depression and all that. He’s better now but don’t mention it, it embarrasses him.

• HothMonster says:

If it’s an origin story they will probably go through the whole “normal super-awesome military grade armor isn’t good enough because it’s so bulky and it restricts his sneaky and kung-fu” and he’ll get some prototype ninja-soldier armor and trade some safety for being able to turn his head and kick people in the face.

golem09 says:

As I read, it’s about his second year as Batman, and he still only has “normal” super high grade equipment, since he didn’t met any super villain so far.

• Jerppa says:

I wonder what kind of supervillain got him to wear black speedo on top of his pants.

• MattM says:

Naw those have been so uncool for so long that they are now cool again. He intimidates criminals by proudly drawing attention to the center of his masculine power.

4. BTAxis says:

I still haven’t actually played Arkham City. I keep resolving to, but then I don’t.

• roryok says:

me (n?)either

Malcolm says:

I started playing it, but the open-worldness got the better of my completionist tendencies and I started trying to do all the gliding challenges and then got bored.

Should really go back to it at some point as Arkham Asylum was excellent.

• woodsey says:

I would recommend playing the main story all the way through, then do all the collecting and side missions. There’s never really a natural break to do the latter until it’s all over.

• MattM says:

I think most of the side missions fit in pretty well with the story. The gliding challenges are the exception and are also the hardest. If you are using a mouse it actually makes them even tougher since you can no longer independently control camera pitch and batman pitch while flying. Fortunately this was the only part of the game where that was a problem.
          I guess getting the riddler trophies also broke the flow, but I enjoyed the change in pace they provided by breaking up the combat heavy story missions.

5. Justin Keverne says:

Looking at that final image Batman has thighs larger than some people I’ve met.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Batman has bags of ferrets strapped to his thighs. Every time he walks, carefully calibrated electrodes cause the ferrets to convulse, lending strength to his stride. He really should be called Ferretman, but Marketing ruled that out straight away.

6. lord_strange says:

I finished both Asylum and City and have to say that I’m still looking forward to this even after completing the first two in the series. Both games have been a visual treat as well as being fun beat-em-ups. I gather that it’s a different development team this time around so let’s hope they don’t drop the ball. Also – Batmobile please. The gadgets in the first couple of games have been pretty well implemented but where are all the vehicles? Compare the comics, or indeed the recent Batman movies where he has a car, a motorbike, and a jetcopter type thingummy; the games haven’t let you play with any of that stuff so far. I am itching to get my hands on the batmobile wheel (batmowheel?) and burn through the streets of Gotham in a GTA stylee.

7. Stevostin says:

This seems impossibly nice looking. No moving images yet ?

8. empyrion says:

This might be a ridiculously idiotic question, but does anyone know anything about the orange-armored guy in the last image? I don’t think that’s a major character, but what is his affiliation?

• Choca says:

That would be Deathstroke, international assassin and (most of the time) nemesis to the Teen Titans.

• jonahcutter says:

A Teen Titans villian as the main antagonist?

Joker (+Harley), Penguin, Two-Face, Riddler, Bane, Croc, Scarecrow, Mr. Freeze battled in the first two games makes Deathstroke feel kind of 2nd or 3rd string.

PikaBot says:

Deathstroke’s tangled with Batman plenty of times and frankly makes much more sense as an adversary for him than he does for the Teen Titans.

• empyrion says:

Ah right. Thanks so much. So kind of a majory character after all.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I want another cat so I can name him Deathstroke. Sadly I don’t think Earl Grey would want to share Smingleigh Manor with another cat.

9. ucfalumknight says:

I like the fact that there is a pre-order option on the web site without so much of 10 seconds of in game footage. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

10. Kein says:

HOLYCRAP CLICKABLE SCREENSHOTS IN RPS ARTICLE

PikaBot says:

I’m going to be cautiously optimistic about this one, with an emphasis on the caution. I loved the previous Arkham games, but these aren’t being developed by the same studio. At the same time, though, it is being developed by the people who made the WiiU port of Arkham City, so at least they have some level of familiarity with the games.

But that doesn’t mean they’ll actually do a good job making a version of their own. I’m going to hold off on getting excited until we start getting actual reviews. Or detailed gameplay videos at the very least.

12. guygodbois00 says:

Heavy Hitter: Batman: Arkham Origins: Gallery. There, improved.

13. DickSocrates says:

I like the detail on his belt, as if he’s really carrying all his nonsense and it doesn’t just whizz around from behind.

• PopeRatzo says:

Speaking of “whizzing around from behind”, I notice his batsuit doesn’t have a fly.

It must take him forever to use the john. So note to supervillains, just wait until Bats has his onesie around his ankles – that’s the time to strike.

14. dethtoll says:

I see Black Mask! Is he going to be just another mob boss or is he going to be that super-evil torture-lovin’ misogynist they made him into in the Catwoman comic?

• Ruffian says:

As weird as it sounds, I hope so. Of course it depends on who’s writing and the era, but sometimes it seems like the joker is the only reallllly dark villain batman has.

15. Sheng-ji says:

So were these created from a “vertical slice” or the actual game engine?

16. Ruffian says:

Finally black mask shows up. Cool beans, now give Hush an appearance and this batfan will be one happy camper.

Edit: rofl, I feel dumb, apparently Hush was in Arkham City and I just completely missed him. :(