The Ludum Dare Haikus

By Nathan Grayson on May 10th, 2013 at 9:00 pm.

Minimalism
Ludum Dare 26 theme
Haikus: fitting, no?

Leaf Me Alone

One part Wind Waker
Stir in a whole lot of Fez
Oh, and potatoes

Dream Fishing

Advice-giving fish
In a world of nothing
YOLO, basically

Funky Lincoln Saves The Day

Abraham Lincoln
Type jump to jump, slide to slide
Bad timing is death

simpLify

Musical machines
Solve puzzles by building songs
Too adorable

The Sentient Cube

Hey, cubes do not roll!
Unless they’re katamaris
Who turned off physics?

Be The Wind

You are the wind, see?
Wind wind wind windy wind wind
Sow seeds; you are strong

Telekinetic Minimalist Cult 5: Packrat Nightmare

Minimalist cult
OH GOD GARBAGE EVERYWHERE
Good thing you’re psychic

People

People all around
Side-by-side, worlds divided
Turn up your volume

Beyond Minimalism

White walls, find nature
Antichamber, is that you?
[Suspicious glancing]

FOLD

Haikus aren’t needed
When fewer words will suffice
Proteus for birds

The Road

The circle of life
Sure does kill lots of people
George Broussard made this

(R,G,B)

Metroidvania
Light and dark and nothingness
Save us, colorball!

Nod

Ask out a real girl
Nod or die (of awkwardness)
Next level? Headbanging

Geneva Convection

Minimalism?
Fuck that, death rays (and challenge)
BLOW UP LUDUM DARE

Naked Shades

Twine: now online
Comprehend ecosystem
What’s a lamia?

i need to lie down

Looks like kiddie scribbles
Looks are often deceiving
I’m gonna be sick

This is not a minimalist game

Ack, you broke the world!
Fix it fix it fix it [breathes]
Fix it fix it fix

, , , .

1. Bhazor says:

“Leaf me alone”

I wonder what that’s a bough. But then I woodn’t mind a bit more of Fez. I guess I’ll tree it out.

Hmm, those puns were terrible I guess I’ll stop before you get sycamore.

2. Michael Fogg says:

We are in this period when young devs regurgitate they NES/pixely art style they know from their childhood in their projects. Personally this makes me feel alienated; can’t wait till we graduate to early 3d/PS1 period.

• Grey Ganado says:

3D is for rich people.

• Shookster says:

I can’t say I miss the blocky weird figures running around my screen, but I grew up on 16-bit games, so that may just be proving your point.

I will say though that I think this: https://thegameage.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/super-mario-world-2.gif

is infinitely more attractive than this: http://www.gameswin.biz/mr/figuras/quake2.jpg

Edit: Geez, major HTML fail on my part.

• Premium User Badge DrScuttles says:

While I have a great nostalgic fondness for the early 3D era (Saturn, PS1, PC requiring dedicated mother fucking VIDEO CARDS to output an image on my eyesbox), it hasn’t aged well. In fact, I’d say that the Quake 2 picture right there looks like great unwashed balls in comparison to Super Mario World. But then art design is a huge factor as well, which is why Zelda: Wind Waker looks absolutely amazing still.

• Shookster says:

I actually agree on all counts. To be fair, I picked two extreme examples from an art direction standpoint. But my main point, and the one you made, was that while 16-bit has aged well (mainly because it wasn’t trying for realism), the 32/64-bit graphics aren’t as attractive today.

Also, yes. Wind Waker still looks incredible! Again, they didn’t shoot for realism and got something that ages pretty gracefully.

• fish99 says:

Infinitely?

• Pliqu3011 says:

Don’t forget that this “pixel-y, retro”-artstyle isn’t only chosen out of nostalgia, going 2D with a pretty low resolution is one of the best ways to get very nice graphics at a relatively low budget. Getting 3D to look good is often far too expensive.

• ChrisGWaine says:

Can’t be long before affine texture mapping will be in vogue.

• Focksbot says:

I don’t think a love of pixel art is necessarily down to nostalgia. When I read Retro Gamer, I love all their big page spreads of games from before I was born. Well-done pixel art is enjoyable because it’s highly representational – your mind does part of the work in ‘reading’ the image.

I mean, I like good modern art styles too, but the majority of 3D shooters, say, are just variations on pseudo-realism, still climbing out of a hideous uncanny valley. As soon as the newest engine comes out, last year’s lot have almost nothing to recommend them visually.

• p14c3b0 says:

Well, lowpoly in games is alredy starting to become more popular.

3. Fitzmogwai says:

Here’s a Ludum Dare game that actually has haiku in it. Declaring my interest – it’s me doing the voiceover.

4. Focksbot says:

Chaps, these are senryus, not haikus. No season words!

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Lol. I got the same scolding from my Japanese teachers. Ah well:

Writing 5-7-5
      Not as easy as it looks
      Kudos Grayson-San

• The Random One says:

Fix them by changing each title to read [Game Name] in the [season].

• Focksbot says:

No, no, you don’t name the actual season – you use a word that’s associated (sometimes rather strangely, imo) with that season (and not just in the title!). There’s a list of these words floating about somewhere.

Just call them senryu – it’s a longer tradition in Japanese poetry and much wider in scope.

5. Fred S. says:

Rock Paper Shotgun
    Title says Herring Marmalade
    Sounds fishy to me

6. vanilla bear says:

I write about games,

But only in poetry.

What a massive ponce.

7. Mr. Mister says:

Genova Convenction ios much fun, and so pretty. The minimalism is on the artstyle, what with all those parrallelepipeidesidontknowhowthiswordisspelledinenglish.

• realitysconcierge says:

agreed. I just can’t figure out how to keep everything working :/

8. thesomethingcool says:

i need to lie down is rather accurately named. Play it, but make sure you have a large soft surface nearby.

• JigxorAndy says:

I’m glad you like the name! I hope people find the game interesting!

9. Premium User Badge TheCze says:

Awesome to see our game “Funky Lincoln” on that list. I am working on Version 1.5 at the moment which will include a way to play the game in fullscreen and add some bonus levels plus other features. I hope to have the update released this weekend and it will be available via our Ludum Dare Page aswell.

10. japtar says:

Awesome! Not only is my game, The Sentient Cube, is listed, but it’s screenshot also is part of the cover image! I’m really honored, guys. Thanks a lot!

11. Dances to Podcasts says:

Clearly lamia are lama labia. Obviously