The RPS Bargain Bucket: Carappropriated

By Lewie Procter on May 11th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

GREETINGS Bargain Bucketers! As my hangover is taking shelter in the house that SavyGamer built this morning after my shenanigans at the Bit of Alright conference in London, Lewie has let me, Dame Cara of Ellison, loose on this here Bargain Bucket to do you a wee intro to this week’s bargainfest. I thought I’d tell you a little tale about a man and his game that I gathered at the Game Developers’ Conference this year.

Yes. I’m going to tell you the story about a man who set Simcity on fire.

Sitting in the back of an Uber Car in San Francisco on the way to the Moscone Center, dreadfully hungover and slightly bewildered Cara was trying to deal with the morning’s sunlight with the grace of a newborn vampire. I was flinching at the driver’s chatty demeanour, and dreading the inevitable question: “So, what brings you to San Francisco?”

“Oh, videogames,” I reply, slightly lazily. And then I realise my manners, internally screaming for water. “There’s a videogames conference on.”

One always dreads the public’s reaction after this explanation.

“Oh videogames?” the driver replies, in a jolly manner. “I love videogames!”

I sigh with a wistful air. Of course he does. But please, Mr Driver, my body cannot cope with your lively manner. I need silence now. I need silence. Please stop talking. (But Cara cannot abide silence and she gives in.)

I say weakly, “What have you been playing recently?”

“Oh, the new Simcity,” he says, as if he has not just dropped a conversational grenade.

Oh dear, I think. He goes on.

“I bought the new Simcity, and it’s just terrible. Awful. The map size is an abomination. Everyone on the forums is in outrage. They have ruined the game – Simcity 4 was much better. They’ve changed all the systems and it’s just gone wrong. It’s just unplayable.”

He seemed primarily angry about the map size, no mention of any server issues at all. He couldn’t care less about the server issues. It’s all the freaking map size.

HE CONTINUES.

“I just thought it was an outrage. I took my copy of Simcity and drove to the Maxis HQ. Then I set it on fire and threw it at the building.”

You what. YOU WHAT.

“And then I left a little note – ‘You can keep your free DLC‘.”

There is silence in the car.

“You set it on fire?” I said.

“Yes.”

He then looks at the meter and tells me that will be fifteen dollars. But this story is fucking GOLD DUST.

Here’s Lewie with this week’s bargainy bargains:

Brütal Legend, Costume Quest, Psychonauts & Stacking – $8.03/€6.19/£5.23
Or pay any price to just get Costume Quest, Psychonauts & Stacking. Registers on Steam.
I’ve been replaying Brütal Legend recently after picking it up in this bundle. I’ve got a big soft spot in my heart for it, even if it’s a fairly flawed game. The things that are amazing about Brütal Legend:
Jack Black’s performance. I often find him to be kind of hit and miss, but he’s absolutely perfect for the role of roadie-turned-heavy-metal-superhero Eddie Riggs, it’s a genuinely funny game, and that’s as much down to his delivery as it is the writing. The rest of cast is quite good too.
It’s Metal as fuck. The whole world looks amazing, like the cover a Heavy Metal album you can explore. It’s not just the visuals either, it’s dripping in Metal-esque lore, and has a hell of a soundtrack.
Things that are not so good:
The combat is relatively basic and not that interesting. Although you do get to decapitate guys.
Several hours in it pulls the rug from under you and turns into an RTS. This isn’t a bad thing, per se, but it’s a great example of a game that subverts your expectations in a way that many gamers might not be too happy about.
A lot of the sidequests are dull.
The car physics is pretty wonky.
All in all, worth the price of admission here, I reckon. The PC port is solid, and it should be considering how long it took. Mouse and keyboard controls aren’t awful, but it felt more natural with a controller to me. My money is on them adding either The Cave and/or Iron Brigade to this bundle at some point, too. RPS opinions on Costume Quest, Stacking and Brütal Legend.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – £7.12/€14.20/$14.20
Apply coupon “elder-geek.com”. Registers on Steam.
This is some sort of card battling game, right? I get so easily confused. Best consult with Alec’s review.

Every time Bethesda reveal a new game, one of the first queries they have to deal with is how big its world is compared to previous games, with the general onlooker sentiment being that their open worlds are shrinking with every new generation. I can promise you that Skyrim is an enormous game, perhaps Bethesda’s biggest yet in my perception of it, and that isn’t anything to do with landmass (of which there is a vast and wonderfully varied amount). It’s because there’s so damned much to do. Hours fly by, great adventures are embarked on, and it barely dents what’s on offer. The thieves’ guild questline alone, the closest thing my time with the game had to a fixed purpose, offers more than do most other big-budget games’ singleplayer modes.

More here.

Hitman Absolution – £3.23
Registers on Steam. This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
An appropriate price for a sequel that seemed to disappoint so many? Perhaps. Here’s wot Adam thought of it:

Whatever your approach, whatever you did up to the point of the kill, it’s all flushed away in a cutscene starring a giant sack of hammers who is more Hulk than human and a 47 who screws everything up. It’s not the only time the game takes away control and forces a contrived conclusion to a hit – and for what? An escape sequence that owes more to Uncharted than Hitmen past, followed by a long run from the law. There’s a lull, several hours long, before 47 rediscovers his anonymity, and until then every mission begins with his identity known and his iconic weapons replaced by a noisy peashooter.

More here.

Dead Island: Riptide – £17.39/€19.95/$25.90
Registers on Steam. This is a European serial, and I’m not sure if it’s region locked to only work in the EU. Play-Asia also sometimes take their sweet time sending out Steam keys. It may take a few days.
CARA HERE. I have had a week playing the abomination that is Riptide and I can tell you that it is not even worth the £17.39 that you’d be paying for this reheated swampjuice. The new boats are bobbing frustration, the combat on PC is like trying to slap a zombie to death with botoxed arms, and I’d rather die than ever hear another terribly voice-acted bark from the 10th time I play through Horde Mode. If you want a game that disrespects your time and your wallet and has basically presented to you a copy of the previous buggy game, only this time they have put in rain effects, well, I guess go ahead. On the other hand, you could just buy four copies of Left 4 Dead or Left 4 Dead 2 and have four happy friends who actually enjoy co-op together. Riptide is just pretty cake-topping my friends. Take it from the gal who still has all the limbs on her union jack bikini. Back to Lewie.

Deal of the week
Dishonored – £7.12/€14.20/$14.20
Apply coupon “elder-geek.com”. Registers on Steam.
This was my favourite game of last year that wasn’t Hotline Miami or REVENGEANCE. High praise indeed, although oddly when I started replaying it recently I didn’t get as much enjoyment from starting again from scratch as I had expected. I think it pulls the same trick as Deus Ex where as much as I intend to, I simply can’t allow myself to vary my playstyle. It’s a proper stealth game, a proper stabby shooty game, and it’s got lots of climbing on rooftops and freerunning to places that you’re not supposed to be allowed. You’ll also see some of the most beautiful game environments around as you sneak or shoot your way through Dunwall. It’s a triumphant return to what we loved about these sort of games in the 90s, whilst using modern hardware to give you large, beautiful environments to play in. I say you should get it. Read wot Adam thought here.

Also of note:
To The Moon – £2.60/€3.07/$3.99
Incredipede – £2.60/€3.07/$3.99
Scratches: Director’s Cut – £2.60/€3.07/$3.99
Botanicula – £2.60/€3.07/$3.99
Machinarium – £2.60/€3.07/$3.99
Resonance – £2.60/€3.07/$3.99
Primordia – £2.60/€3.07/$3.99
Gemini Rue – £2.60/€3.07/$3.99
Blackwell Bundle – £3.90/€4.61/$5.99
The Longest Journey – £2.60/€3.07/$3.99
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey – £3.90/€4.61/$5.99
Miasmata – £3.90/€4.61/$5.99

SavyGamer is still there for all your cheaptastic game buying needs! Games might be a fickle lover, but SavyGamer is always there, your constant. Ciao for now RPS!

1. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Im confused. Who does the recommendations here? Who types the text that follow the game and price?

Also, I would of been terrified of that Taxi Driver. I just have a scary image of the sort of mad man who drives up to a building (still in his taxi) lights a game on fire, with a note, and chucks it at the revolving glass doors before peeling away, thinking, “That will show them”.
    Nutterbutter.

2. SquidgyB says:

I think someone should just take this simcity and just… just flush it down the fuckin’ toilet.

3. LionsPhil says:

System Shock 2 seems to have finally shown up on Steam, too. Surprised to have not seen mention of it on RPS yet (since the “going to happen” months back; maybe I’m blind).

I’m not sure I entirely approve of this (where does the money go?), but it’s a classic.

• Fumarole says:

Currently on sale for $6.99

• MattM says:

Some people take the attitude that you shouldn’t buy it since the studio that created it isn’t in business anymore. I think that is ultimately a bad idea. If we didn’t allow game developers to sell the rights to their games we would be eliminating most independent studios. Developers like Insomniac, Crytek and Doublefine would be forced to raise all their own money for every game since a publisher would be unable to pay them to create a game for them. Even most of the publisher owned studios got their start as independent studios working on projects funded by publishers. Furthermore banks would be unable to loan money to studios since the one asset of value that they have (their finished games) would not be able to be used as collateral. Making game rights non-transferrable would hurt artists by forcing them to become primarily businessmen and fund raisers. It would also make collaborative projects a huge cluster-**** since every contributor would own a portion of the product. A game would be owned by over 100 people.

• donmilliken says:

On the Steam store page, Irrational is listed alongside Looking Glass under the developer listing. The publisher is something called Night Dive Studios. Not sure who they are or what connection if any they have to Irrational or any former Looking Glass personnel, but judging by their website I’d say they don’t seem like anyone I’d be too worried about giving my money too. Seems they intend to use it to get the rights to bring the NOLF and other abandoned games to GOG and Steam.

• fish99 says:

Interesting point. The original publisher (EA) and the primary developer (Irrational Games) are still around (although of course it was very much an Irrational/Looking Glass co-lab), but since the publisher on Steam is listed as Night Drive Studios (who sell abandonware) I wouldn’t be surprised if none of the money goes to Irrational or EA.

There’s also the question about whether the Steam/GOG version is using the latest patch (it surely is because the game is unstable on multi-core systems without it), because I doubt they have the rights to distribute that patch since the last I heard no one even knows where that patch came from. That patch is a significant part of the reason these games (SS2, Thief, Thief2) are now on GOG/Steam.

• MadMatty says:

Am i the only one who loved 1, but didnt like 2? the atmosphere, the hacking mini game…something was amiss, and i left SS2 after only like 2-3 hours

4. iGark says:

Dilemma. Skyrim for that price or wait for sale on Legendary edition?

I’m probably going with Dishonored for that price either way.

Anthile says:

Truth is, you will always get a better product for a better price if you wait. Except for bananas.

golem09 says:

Wait. I mean, if you haven’ t played the game until now, you can wait the extra bit until the Oculus.

• Ross Angus says:

Yup: I have the same dilemma. But as I bought New Vegas this week also, I think I’ll wait. One open world at a time (plus New Vegas was on sale and had all the DLC too).

• SkittleDiddler says:

Gamers Gate ran out of keys for the Bethesda sale almost immediately after it started. Apparently they restocked at some point today, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they run out again. Just a heads up.

• Cytrom says:

Bought dishonored today, got a key almost instantly, despite the disclaimer about the keys being gone.
        Not saying its the rule, could have been an exception… just saying.

In any case, even if you don’t get a key right away, they WILL send you one in a few days, so the bargain price is still real, even if it doesnt have immediate effect.

This is by far the deepest discount dishonored ever had (despite that its a 50% deal, compared to the 50€ regular price that it had a few days ago, 7.12 £ is more than 75% off)

• SkittleDiddler says:

Yeah, it looks like they stocked up fully this time. Gamers Gate certainly seem to handle it a bit differently than Green Man would have.

• HadToLogin says:

You don’t look in right places to know your discounts. Two weeks ago it was in Scandinavian online shop for 10 euro, with additional coupon that would take it down to 8 euro. They also had Skyrim for less than 5 euro.
          And there’s always GamersGate mistake, when they sold Bethesda games pack for around $30 (which probably meant $3 per game, or even less; it had Elder Scrolls, Fallouts, Brink, Dishonored and more).

FriendlyFire says:

Small unknown stores with absurdly deep discounts? Avoid.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. There’s a lot of shady sites that use stolen credit cards to mass buy serials and redistribute them at bargain price. I’m taking no part in this. Reputable sites are safer.

• HadToLogin says:

It isn’t small unknown shop. It’s quite big, but it only sells to people from Scandinavia. So you either need to have few friends there (lucky me :P), or try using some proxy/VPN/etc.

There’s also muve.pl – they wanted to make a Spring Sale, prices turned out to be so good whole world started proxing and VPNing just to buy few games (like Borderlands 2).

FriendlyFire says:

I bought it yesterday and they didn’t have keys then, but this morning it generated just fine.

• pertusaria says:

I went with Skyrim at that price, partly on the basis that most of the DLC hasn’t added much (except for the last one), so a GOTY seems unnecessary. Still, it probably will get cheaper, just not by an awful lot.

5. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

:-D Cara man woman, stop holding back with your critique and I take it you don’t recommend Botoxing the old bingo wings…..

6. Liudeius says:

If Hitman is the only one that is US only, why is it also the only one only priced in pounds?

7. nrvsNRG says:

I got Kindoms of Amalur with both Dead Kell and Teeth of Naros DLC, for £14.99 from Gamefly yesterday.(activates on Origin)

• SkittleDiddler says:

Holy crap, EA screws you Euro guys again. They’re charging a third of that over on the US side of the pond.

• nrvsNRG says:

You can get the main game + both DLC’s for (equivelant) £5?
        edit: right ok,just seen other post.

8. Fumarole says:

Trials Evolution Gold on sale on Steam for $14.99

9. Silver says:

Well, at GMG Shogun 2 and Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai are for 6€.
    I believe there is also a coupon for -20% somewhere

10. povu says:

For those with Playstation 3 boxes there’s a good discount on the HD collection of Shadow of the Colossus + ICO.

• baby snot says:

Heretic!

So basically if The Last Guardian is confirmed for PS4 then it looks like I’m buying my first console ever.

• Karl says:

Or get it for free in June via PS+ EU.

11. Teovald says:

If you don’t already own them, do yourself a favor and buy the Double Fine bundle.
    These are some ridiculously good games for a very low price (I would recommend to at least put 10$ in order to do not be a dick & get Brütal Legend in the pack).

• MondSemmel says:

A heads-up: “My money is on them adding either The Cave and/or Iron Brigade to this bundle at some point, too.”
      Neither of the PC versions for these games was published by Double Fine themselves, so the chances for that are low. In fact, they already ruled out one of them. I think it was The Cave.

12. Skabooga says:

I had assumed “Yes. I’m going to tell you the story about a man who set Simcity on fire.” would indicate the story would be about someone who played with the disaster settings in Sim City, but the actual story was much, much better.

13. SominiTheCommenter says:

I tried to buy Hitman on Amazon with a fake address but they rejected my card nonetheless. Worth pointing it out. If you really can buy, give us tips here in the forums.

Martel says:

Hilarious story Cara

15. Fenix says:

To everyone here that hasn’t played To the Moon yet: you have no excuse now. (well you didn’t regardless, but come on it’s even cheaper now!)

• Zwebbie says:

@Fenix: If it weren’t for your incredible persuasiveness, I’d have been three euros richer at this very moment. It better be worth it!

16. Abattur says:

I think there should be article about Darkwood started a crowdfunding at indiegogo, (http://www.darkwoodgame.com/)

17. tossrStu says:

Just a quick heads-up, Tesco Finest pea & ham soup is currently 2 for £3.

Gypsy23 says:

I’d like to add that, Gamefly is having an EA/Origin bundle sale. I picked up Kingdom of Amalur+2 DLC for $7.99, as well as Syndicate/Bulletstorm for $7.99 as well.

FriendlyFire says:

I’m ambivalent about Amalur. On one hand, it looks generic as hell and merely competent at best, but on the other hand the gameplay looks enjoyable enough.

Bulletstorm is a ton of fun though, worth the price for that alone.

• fish99 says:

Amalur definitely seems to be a marmite game (you either love it or hate it). Personally I loved every second of it, finished it, and did every side quest. Great cinematic music, beautiful world (especially in stereo 3D), nice combination of an RPG and GoW style action combat. Has it’s issue for sure – consolized interface, random fights become too easy, magic is OP, a few bugs, and the voice acting is hit and miss, but overall I had a great time with it.

• nrvsNRG says:

Some ppl just wont be able to get past the massively generic nature of it all and will give up, but if you dont mind it, there is a lot of game to be had in that deal.

• fish99 says:

TBH I found it less generic than say Elder Scrolls.

• MadMatty says:

im in the “too generic” club…and ooooo boy has there been a lot of stinky generic shite lately. I barely make it past the cinematic trailer for most games these days, especially the american Matrix-y-wannabe ones. Oh lordy, how the kids dissapoint me. Technically proficient, but without a single original idea in sight….for miles.

Indie´s no better-
            “Hey i finsihed all my classes, ima programmer/artist/designer! i can finally make games! i´ll make a…..uhhh…. duhhh.. erm… Physics based 2d platformer?”

• HadToLogin says:

It’s better game than Skyrim for sure. Too bad it doesn’t have mod tools.

FriendlyFire says:

You can have another 15% off with GFDMAY15 on GameFly by the way.

19. The Random One says:

Cara! Where have you been! I missed yooooou ;_____________;

There seems to be a lot of great bargains today, but they are all games I either already own or wouldn’t buy even with that discount. I have a feeling that most of the RPS readers (or at least commenters) will be on the same boat.

20. Aardvarkk says:

I was leery at first when seeing the full page of reading in front of me, but trusting Cara to spin a good narrative I persevered and at the end agreed with author that yes, the story was dusted with a heavy yellow metal of great value.

21. El_Emmental says:

hehe excellent story there Cara :D

Maybe we should organize our own “auto-da-fé” or at least put a garbage bin, rally up the media, and throw our discs in the pit in front of the camera, then deliver it to the publisher’s HQ. If we could get at least 1000 copies, that would be enough to make a nice pile. Brief the people going there, choose one spokesperson, to prevent “journalists” from writing “dumb kids are mad at video games”. And let’s not forget to make sure the pile of plastic dvd cases and discs are later sent to a recycling center.

The PR war isn’t going to win itself, we should totally do this if we want change.

22. Lanfranc says:

Please note that the Blackwell Bundle games is an excellent series that receives my unqualified recommendation, and which you should totally get right now.

23. Deviija says:

Cara <3!~ And I completely agree about Riptide. Completely!

24. LennyLeonardo says:

Butbutbut… didn’t REVENGEANCE come out this year? It is good enough to be in last year’s top 10 as well, though.

25. Proxybition says:

Wow, the Dishonored price differences are really huge. Could someone affirm, that the codes purchased though the English site work in the Central-Eastern European region? I’ve had some bad experiences with region locks recently.

• jaronimoe says:

can confirm. switched to the british version of gamersgate, paid the 7.11 or what it was, and redeemed the code on steam without a problem.
      the poor souls who paid 15€…