All He Ever Wanted Was To Be Set On Fire

By Jim Rossignol on May 13th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Tomorrow will see the release of another Borderlands 2 playable character, this time hailing from the howling cast of its deranged bandit antagonists. Krieg The Psycho – whose scenery-gnawing behaviours can be seen below in a video I borrowed from VG247 – is a character who is supposed to emulate all of the absurdly dangerous attack actions the bandits perform in Borderlands 2. So expect to run screaming toward your enemy with a big rusty sharp thing, while on fire. Being on fire, of course, is central to his skill tree. Not sure if that will be worth $10, but I will probably take a look tomorrow and see.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. kerbal says:

“This video is private” arghlll…

2. pakoito says:

Staring abs

3. Frisky Dingo says:

Love the new character but I don’t think it’s worth picking up as all my buddies have moved on to other games. Maybe if they had released a few news chars at once it would have given us the incentive for another playthrough. Singleplayer is just no fun.

• Vorphalack says:

I play single player exclusively because none of my friends are gamers. Honestly, I enjoy it. It’s mostly dumb, occasionally clever, and very polished shoot ‘n loot. Great for killing those odd afternoons when you can’t think of anything else to do. Not a game to try and mono-game alone though, it would get boring fast.

4. TheBlackBandit says:

The central design decision behind this is great: “Just let the player take on the role of the psycho”. Borderlands lends itself so well to insane behaviour that this seems like a natural step.

5. bleeters says:

Much like the mecromancer, I’m going to imagine this new class was just hanging out in a train car further back during the intro, wondering what all the noise and slow motion was about.

6. Waswat says:

Is the guy in the video playing with an xbox controller? He can’t seem to hit much. :/

7. Kaider says:

Watching a developer play with near invincibility on at max level is really making this offer all the more enticing.

8. Jabberslops says:

How many people are actually still playing Borderlands 2? They took so long to release a level increase patch that I stopped playing everyday around mid February. I still play maybe once or twice every 2 weeks, but I haven’t even gotten halfway to 61 yet. I also barely even touched the season pass DLC . I’ve only played about 1/4 of Captain Scarlet and played maybe 10 minutes of Torgue.

The only reason I haven’t played the DLC much is that I was going to save those for the XP when the level cap was increased, but the developers decided to add in another even harder game mode, which basically ruined my plans to only play the DLC to reach the new level cap. I think it defeated the purpose of having the Season pass. Pretty much everyone who made it to level 50, got there by playing the main game only and never touched the DLC.

I like Borderlands 2, but lets be honest about the situation. How many people really want to play through the game 3 times on every character you started to reach the level cap?

• Ross Angus says:

I’ve only just bought it (and not started it yet). It sounds like you’re treating it like an MMO (I’m not saying this is wrong!). I assume I’ll play through it over the course of a couple of months, and then set it aside, sweating slightly, with a faint grin on my face.

• Jabberslops says:

I played Borderlands 2 mostly as a single player game and have fun playing with friends in co-op, but because my friends were waiting for the level cap increase, they stopped to save the DLC for the XP just like I had done. I just don’t have the drive in me to keep playing like I did when Borderlands 2 was released. The combination of life getting in the way as well as other games to finish or start, I haven’t really wanted to play since the level cap was increased and the harder game mode introduced.

True, I don’t have to play the harder mode, but If I want to play with friends that are still playing, I have do another play through the main story and any parts my friends haven’t played yet if I want to play co-op.

• Ross Angus says:

Hmm. I see what you mean. Perhaps you’ll feel nostalgic, in six months! (and then your friends will be playing something else).

• grundus says:

Me, actually… I’ve put 450 hours into the game (according to the Steam counter, which is almost definitely wrong) but lately I’ve moved on to other things, however the urge to return is never far from my mind. I’ve only re-capped Zer0 but before the increase I had a lv50 of everyone except Axton (because I started a synced co-op with a friend who hardly ever plays), for some reason I even have two lv50 Salvadors… I also have a few characters around the lv20 mark to use as banks, except I don’t do much hoarding any more as the benchmark has moved, obviously.

I haven’t played the Hammerlock DLC yet for some reason, I haven’t really felt the urge to, but I will eventually. I still love the game, I just felt like I got stuck in a rut and stopped finding other games interesting. I think I’ve cured that now, though.

• TomxJ says:

I’m still playing; it scratches that shoot and loot itch noting else can.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I’ve only owned B2 for a few months, but I don’t think I’ll be playing it as long as I did the first game — the glaring lack of overall variety in comparison to B1 makes it hard for me to imagine paying $10 for yet another playthrough. It doesn’t help that True Vault Hunter Mode is an unbalanced mess for single players like me.

9. soco says:

So this character comes with 200,000 health that rapidly regenerates? Seems a bit overpowered to me =P

Watching the vid I saying to myself; “I remember having to take cover a lot more than that.” Then I glance down at the health bar. “Oh, that’s why.”

Gearbox, have you not learned your lesson from ACM? Don’t show things not in the game. =P

10. Danda says:

Is that guy wearing a Dash Kappei t-shirt?

11. Skabooga says:

In reference to the article title, that’s not necessarily a bad strategy: http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/4p15/

12. Nicodemus Rexx says:

Just out of curiosity, am I the only person who loves the new mechanics they’re adding with this character, but is completely turned off by the fact that he has the same voice as all the other psychos?

13. Vorphalack says:

Hopefully we will get a sale on all the DLC next month when the last piece of season pass content is released. If you are interested in this it might be worth waiting a few weeks to see what happens on steam.

14. Morph says:

Definitely picking this up. I’ve played over 240 hours so I feel like I owe them more money.

15. Aardvarkk says:

At 0:42 it sounds like someone received an email..

16. sabrage says:

In other news: Consumers who don’t hate themselves still waiting on the Borderlands 2 GOTY Edition.

• Iliya Moroumetz says:

That would be me. Liking what I’m seeing, but I’m enjoying all of the stuff from Borderlands 1 in the meantime going through all four classes and the DLC.