Extra Witchy: The Witcher II’s Mod Tools Are Go

By Craig Pearson on May 13th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

MEN!
I haven’t played The Witcher II, but I know at thing or two about it. The first thing I know about it is that it is good. The second thing I know about it is that it needed more content. I have today learned a third thing about it: the mod tools have been released. Hey, that might mean there’s more content available, which makes my second thing invalid, and the third thing has become the second thing, and I know less now than I did at the start of this paragraph. It’s making me dumber! Stop stealing knowledge from me, Witcher II!

The REDKit will allow modders to create new lands (including villages), quests, and even new combat rules, while draining me of essential knowledge, and possibly replacing me with some sort of simulacra – pay close attention to my eyes if you ever meet me in the real world, as I’m told you can tell evil clones by their shifty eyes. Sharing is easily done, and there’s already a mod up on the site waiting for your attention. A recent patch just dropped into the game, bringing with it a mod manager, so you can keep track of all those lovely non-linear fan quests. It is in beta, so expect bugs, and a whopping 6GB+ multipart download.

Here’s a totally inappropriately soundtracked trailer.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. aliksy says:

Oh, good. I only got through the witcher 2 by using some awkward “edit these files in notepad” changes. I hope someone adds a respec mod, even though it’ll be too late to help me.

• woodsey says:

You can respec in the third act. It’s part of a quest.

• aliksy says:

Yeah, but by the time you get there you’ve already played 90% of the game. Not a big help.

2. Dowr says:

“I haven’t played The Witcher II”
    First Dark Souls, now this. Graig: what the fuck?

felisc says:

Yeah what the hell. That man is lost.
      Careful though, we might end up with a video of him deleting the witcher 2.

• Dowr says:

If such a video is released by the (deranged) man, we shall form a mob – a very angry one! – to hunt him down and answer for his heresy.

Until then, we wait, pitchforks and wired mice in hand.

• MrEclectic says:

Can it be a somewhat orderly mob though? Last time we had way too many pitchforks and not enough torches.

• Smion says:

“What are these “video game”-things you people keep talking about?”
      -Craig Pearson, RPS

• pakoito says:

You only had one job, Craigh.

Craig Pearson says:

Does it have hats?

• Dowr says:

You can wear a hood. Will that suit?

• Dan Forever says:

Could you, would you, wear a hood?
          Could you, would you, in a wood?
          Would you, should you, wear a hat?
          No you shouldn’t, it’s a trap!

• Infinite says:

Inhuman!

AlwaysRight says:

HOLY FUCKING CHRIST CRAIG, NOT AGAIN!!!

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

He doesn’t actually own a computer. He makes his way on RPS by lucid dreaming, then drawing “screenshots” in crayon, then he sends hand-scrawled articles to Messrs. Chinly & Frankins, electronic amanuenses par excellence.

• lordcooper says:

CRAAAAAAIGIIG WHHYYYY???

• Vinraith says:

I haven’t played either of them either. They’re not top priorities, and gaming time is a precious commodity.

• The Random One says:

Damn fake geek guys ruin everything!

• John Connor says:

To be fair, this is a PC gaming website, and Dark Souls port was basically FROM saying “take your slop and eat it” to PC gamers.

Witcher 2 was fantastic, though. Optimized and fully featured.

3. Asherie says:

I can’t play The Witcher 2 or Dark Souls. I’ve tried, numerous times in fact. I just suck so bad at videogames I get frustrated sometimes and just give up. These are two that happened with in recent times. *sadface*. I’m probably the reason more games are being dumbed down for more casual gamers… sorry everyone!

• kael13 says:

With TW2, make sure you’re patched to the latest version and turn the difficulty setting down. It’s nae so hard!

• Asherie says:

I can’t remember what version it was on when I last tried but it seems ages ago so worth a go – maybe one more shot then :) thanks for the tip

• iridescence says:

This. I’m terrible at twitch-combat but even I found I could get through most of TW2 on normal difficulty occasionally dipping down to easy if I got too frustrated by a tricky boss fight. Did you try lowering the difficulty? Also the combat gets easier later in the game when you get more powers and better equipment. Also remember, potions are your friends for tough fights.

• nrvsNRG says:

Turning down the difficulty is’nt really a tip is it?

• Pray For Death says:

Maybe not, but updating the game is. It used to be extremely difficult when it first came out, but the difficulty was balanced several times through patches, and is much more reasonable now.

Aside from playing on easy, be sure to also check the option for ‘turn off difficult QTEs’.

• DanMan says:

I’m currently playing it, and it’s frustratingly hard to get out of that first town when the game keeps randomly crashing to the desktop on you.

• Dowr says:

We don’t forgive you.

• Apocalypse says:

Try harder!

• RobinOttens says:

Hey, there’s no shame in using cheats if a developer hasn’t appropriately adapted their game to your skill level. : ) Or if a game is long-winded and repetitive. Don’t know if The Witcher 2 falls in those categories though. Game was great and pretty easy on the lowest difficulty setting, if I remember correctly.

I look forward to seeing what modders do to the game’s final act.

• derbefrier says:

i conquered Dark Souls more than once but for some reason I hate the way combat works in the Witcher games. I own both 1 and 2 and have never managed to play either for more than a couple hours. I imagine i’ll do the same with TW3 sigh…

darkChozo says:

I’m in exactly the same spot. Love Dark Souls to death, but hate the combat of W2 and don’t find the story interesting enough to sustain me more than about halfway through.

For what it’s worth, I feel the same way about DA:O.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

You are clearly playing it wrong!

• db1331 says:

Have you tried using a 360 pad for both? It’s practically a must for Dark Souls, no matter how many people tell you they do just fine with M+KB. It’s also a huge help for The Witcher 2 as well. I tried playing with M+KB and was more a bumbling idiot than a master swordsman. Then I plugged in a 360 pad and I went from terrible to God Mode in an instant. I didn’t even have to check the controls. I just instinctively knew what did what. Now I could never go back.

• aliksy says:

Witcher2 has stupid-movement similar to dark souls. You push left and your character turns left instead of moving left. No sidestepping or backstepping, just rolling (and double damage received when rolling)

darkChozo says:

I can’t speak for W2 (it’s been a while), but Dark Souls has dead standard third person action-adventure controller movement controls. They’re pretty identical to 3D Zelda controls.

• aliksy says:

If they’re standard, the standard sucks :p I want to be able to sidestep and backstep with WASD and re-orient myself with the mouse. Or left stick/right stick if I have to use my gamepad still. I’ve died too many times from backing up (hold stick down) until I was out of lock on range, then suddenly I turn around without changing any inputs.

• Arglebargle says:

Dark Souls is too much a hair-shirt game for me. Never played those abysmally awfully difficult console games as a kid, not interested in doing so now. ‘Die until you figure out the trick’, and ‘replay the level over and over’ just don’t cut it. Not particularly interested in controller optimized games either. If your interface is a continual pain in the ass, I am opting out. Witcher 2 releasing with bad screen support, and no invertable mouse meant it was a no go for me (and I really liked Witcher 1 and the books). I’ll pick it up for $5 now, rather than at release, as I’d intended.

• nrvsNRG says:

That would be a good point if it was actually true.

• aliksy says:

Dark Souls’ movement controls are kind of bad (same as witcher2, actually), and some of the checkpoints are annoyingly far apart, but it’s not really trial and error. I mean, you’ll probably get killed a lot, but it’s not trial in error in the same sense that guessing a combination to a lock would be. Most of the challenges have clues (subtle or otherwise).

I think some players are used to easier games with paper tigers, so when something like a mage lightning-blasts them off a ledge they go “Bullshit!”, even though the mage was clearly visible if they’d looked slightly up and to the left.

4. gritz says:

Dude.

Play the Witcher 2.

• Ross Angus says:

Yeah. Let’s not shout about this. Craig, please play The Witcher 2: Witch Harder.

5. kirby2112 says:

I remember this game! Playing it on lowest settings at 25 frames per second and deleting all my other games to hold its 20 gigabytes of data. :v good times.

• pakoito says:

So you have high-res textures running on low specs at a constant 25fps. Cool.

6. Discopanda says:

WHAT NO WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO ROCHE, GERALT?! D:

7. foda500 says:

“The second thing I know about it is that it needed more content”

CDPR themselves (mostly)adressed this a while ago.

8. Michael Fogg says:

Hot Mead: Geralt and Triss edition.

9. Cytrom says:

While this is awesometastic of them, I don’t think there are that many people still actively playing the witcher 2 (thus smaller pool of modders to begin with), and its not a hundred+ hour game where eventually you’ll need to switch things up by some modding magic.

Also the world is tightly crafted, so you can’t just seamlessly and relatively effortlessly insert stuff into empty areas (like in the elder scrolls games). You’d have to craft a whole new little world (which is a much biggert investment obviously.. thus less likely to get finished by a hobby modder), or alter an already complete world, likely decreasing the overall quality in the process to make additional content.
    I just dont think there’s gonna be a significant modding scene (either consumers or creators) for the witcher 2.

However, if they release similar modtools for the witcher 3 early on, (which will be a lot more open ended), that game could be legendary.

• ghost55 says:

I actually just replayed the game about a month ago, and I am downloading the mod tools as I type this.

Jonfon says:

Given that the main game already has full nudity and nekkid Triss within the first 5 minutes or so does this mean this will the first set of Mod Tools where Hawt Full Frontal Nudes won’t be the #1 Mod on the Witcher 2 Nexus?

Or will it just start at full frontals and head downwards (steady) from there?

Pity it’s taken so long really. I’d imagine a lot of potential modders have moved on.

11. buzzmong says:

While I’ll probably never use it, I very much applaud CDPR for releasing mod tools.

Although, I wonder what they’ve got an internal bet on for how long it takes for someone to make a sex game out of it.

12. Hahaha says:

” haven’t played The Witcher II, but I know at thing or two about it. The first thing I know about it is that it is good.”

How can you know that without playing it?

13. TheRAIDER says: