Fiddle With Nvidia’s GraphicsFace Features

By Craig Pearson on May 13th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Eyes of Staring
It feels like it was only, ooh, 1 month and 24 days since we last risked our collective sanity. We stared into the cold, shark-like eyes of the technological advancement of NvIdIa’S FaceWorks and lived. But at what cost? Back then, we were given a peep into the future of GraphicsFace with Digital Ira, a sadly uninteractive demonstration of what gamefaces will be like in the future. It looked impressive, but with the caveat that it was shown on stage and running on a Titan, Nvidia’s mahoosive card of graphics. Well the tech monolith has just released the demonstration for everyone to play with. If you fancy making a high-fidelity head gurn, then your fetish is well catered for.

I have a GTX 580, and the gurn tech still runs relatively smoothly, so you don’t need the terrifying teraflops of Titan to try it out. There are several settings to fiddle with, enabling you to pull off horrible things to that poor man’s face. You can make him scream pre-canned phrases for your own amusement, you can alter lighting, or you can peek under the hood at the mesh below his skin. It was actually at the extreme edges that the demo impressed me. Forcing the camera in to his eyeball showed off scratchy veins and slight imperfections on the eye’s surface. The pupil didn’t react, but it was still impressively detailed. Grab it now, or watch the video below and lament your AMD-buying ways.

Via Kotaku.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , , , , .

1. Revolving Ocelot says:

Do you know how long it takes to repair a soul every time you post an article like this? Much longer than a month, I just found out. Damaged beyond all repair now, and I don’t have the money for a replacement. I shall be reporting RPS to the appropriate authorities both for soul-sundering and Typical Bolshevik Rhetoric.

• DrScuttles says:

You can never fully repair a soul. Sure it’s possible to work wonders these days and almost get it back to as-new condition, but something is always lost.

• tobecooper says:

Just patch it thoroughly, and you’ll be all right.

• cowardly says:

I’m not sure they’ve released the patches yet, but you’re sure to find a suitable mod lying around the internet somewhere.

• DrScuttles says:

It’s thanks to modders that I’m even running this soul with my incompatible body. Got a tattoo on my arse that reads Human Vista, if that’s at all relevant to my woes.

• Iskariot says:

Don’t worry. The soul is a human fictional construct.

2. bonglord420 says:

WARGRAPHICS

3. Spoon Of Doom says:

I wish I could afford a 3D printer, just so that I could creep people out with my collection of printed, staring, soulless 3D heads. Much better than the only mildly soul-crushing dead eyes Nvidia offers.

4. Lawful Evil says:

“lament your AMD-buying ways.”

What for? The tech might be impressive, but it is far from usable. NVIDIA’S PR is just doing their job though.

5. Graves says:

I really can’t face the reality that this type of thing makes headlines these days.

• Low Life says:

Who knows how big this’ll get, Nvidia’s always had a nose for future trends.

6. Dowr says:

Oh, please stop crying my little 7970 snooky wookums!

• Sakkura says:

At least your 7970 produces almost as many points as a GTX Titan in Folding@Home, with the new beta core.

7. oyog says:

Oh sure. This is gonna be so much more efficient than Skype. Absolutely.

8. Eincrou says:

I tried this out after reading the article, and recorded a few minutes of me playing around with this demo.

╞WQHD╡[NVIDIA FaceWorks Demo] GPU Destroying Facial Rendering (2560×1440)

The animation is pretty impressive and the high-res textures hold up well — even close up at 2560×1440.

The video is also 2560×1440. I recommend watching it at “Original” quality, even if you have a 1920×1080 monitor or below. You’ll still benefit from a clearer picture due to the higher bitrate.