Nine Minutes Of Shadow Of The Eternals

By Jim Rossignol on May 13th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Shadow of the Eternals – which is a PC-based sequel to beloved 2002 horror game Eternal Darkness – is certainly raising a few eyebrows across the internet with its crowd-funding terms. Such commentary might well prove adverse for its prospects. Nevertheless it has already raised a chunk of its $1.5m goal, and there’s nine minutes of footage from the game now available to watch, as you can see below. Things get icky at around the seven-minute mark.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Ansob says:

Sort of odd that the footage they chose to release is mostly a remake of an Eternal Darkness level with intrusive cutscenes getting in the way of the game.

• Jdopus says:

I’m inclined to agree with you. If the amount of cutscenes in this preview is at all indicative of the number of them in the finished game it’s seems they’ve completely missed every opportunity to make the game immersive. Cutscenes are an immediate atmosphere killer for me, they have no place in a horror game.

2. golem09 says:

You call 140k in 7 days a “chunk”? These last days about 2-3k drippled in per day.
    All in all, I love Eternal Darkness, but I won’t back this. Seems like a lot of people share my mindset.

3. serioussgtstu says:

This looks very nice, in a grim Witchery way; but I didn’t understand a single thing that happened in the trailer. He was told that one of the monks had died, so he decided to look around the abbey. Then he found a book and got transported to hell, all the while two women were watching him via a motionless picture. However one of the women wasn’t watching him, but was actually watching themselves watching him!

I’ve never watched Lost, but I assume this is what it must have been like the entire time.

• Contrafibularity says:

Nothing compares to the nonsensical anti-surreal horror that is Lost. Having had my brain detrimentally affected by watching it, I don’t actually know how to phrase this in such a way as to not make it sound accidentally appealing to those lucky people who have not seen it; Lost is what you would get if a Pope got involved in screen-writing. If you want to see what the most ultra-conservative and medieval mind in all the world wants to bestow upon your impressionable mind, or if you’re not a rabid Christian but want to be, or if you’re somehow not right in the head and you want to be even less right in the head, you should watch Lost. Although you will waste 81 hours of your life on one of the biggest pieces of shit ever created.

For the sake of your and all our futures, I implore you not to do it. Please.

• Triplanetary says:

Hmm, I have Lost on my Netflix queue and I sometimes ponder getting around to watching it, but then I remember that most of my friends who loved it are the ones of middling intelligence who are more likely than the average person to believe that the moon landings were a fraud.

Also, I hate JJ Abrams.

• Bork Titflopsen says:

Lost starts off really good and you can’t deny the impact it had on tv/movies in general, but sadly it falls off quickly halfway through. They keep on piling mystery on mystery without ever resolving anything, it just becomes a horrible, confusing mess.

Spoiler!!

That show was doomed the moment they revealed the smoke monster.

• Towels says:

In my experience, LOST did just the opposite. Yes, it played with the allure of mystery and routinely introduced new wrinkles but it did so while steadily shedding light on others. The answers are there if you look for them; they’re just not all precisely spelled out for you. Look back on the show (rewatch if you must — I highly recommend it! :P) with open eyes, ears, and mind and you will get much more out of the thousands of intricate connections than you’d ever expect. While not without its loose ends, LOST is one hell of an achievement, I say.

• Ovno says:

Have to say other than the whole {redacted due to spoilers} of the last episode, and last series flashbacks, I enjoyed lost most of the way through, I would love to strip out flash backs and reorder them into chronological order but that’s just me, I want to do it to memento too….

As for this ultra christian conservative crap, didn’t notice it at all, perhaps it’s cus I’m English so I didn’t notice the American religious references…

Either way first series great, rest of them scratching around for answers to the questions from the first…

Still I recommend it for a watch but just don’t watch the very last episode, it still angers many people I know, the penultimate episode was great though…

• Towels says:

I don’t know where people are getting this “Christian conservative crap” from. LOST is very spiritual, yes; you can make connections to a multitude of religious beliefs, but I don’t remember seeing anything that specifically screams ‘AMERICAN CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIANITY IS YOUR SAVIOR!”. >_> The last episode even referenced the show’s non-specific spirituality with a stained-glass window full of religious symbols from all over the world. It’s not about any one faith; it’s about a universal spirituality that connects us all.

Also, I loved the last episode. T_T

4. Triplanetary says:

Eternal Darkness is in my top 10 favorite games, and I’ve wanted a sequel very badly for a long time, but this trailer is doing very little to get me excited.

I mean, I’d buy a HD, PC-compatible remake of Eternal Darkness, if that’s what this was, but it’s not, so why am I seeing the exact same abbey? How about some new ideas?

5. Discopanda says:

Is that a two story church interior I see?

6. gschmidl says:

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT give any money to Denis Dyack.

• deadpan says:

It’s like watching people repeatedly put their hands on a hot stove, because they remember that one time eleven years ago when it was nice and cool.

• 2helix4u says:

Pretty much this, I was interested because it wasn’t Silicon Knights. Then you find out Dyack is the Lead Creative Officer.

Its pretty similar to if the Disney Star Wars movies had George Lucas directing.
      You go from “Its got a better chance of being good now its with new guys” to “Oh, never mind,”

• Towels says:

George Lucas hasn’t directed a bad movie, so I’d be pretty excited to hear he was directing the next Star Wars! :P Having said that, I respect what J.J. Abrams is all about so I’m sure he’ll do a great job, and he’ll do it in such a way that people will be less likely to go berserk for fourteen years straight hyperbolizing and nitpicking and generally making fools of themselves trying to convince every living soul that movies which simply weren’t what they wanted them to be are the greatest sacrilege ever committed and witnessed, given that he and Disney are likelier to mimic the simpler and more adventurous original trilogy style than the more complex and brooding political and social tapestry that was the prequel trilogy. :D

• derbefrier says:

why not?

7. strangeloup says:

XEL’LOTATH NAROKATH SANTAK PARGON PARGON

Okay, that’s better. This, um, looks really neato. And is that Erzsébet Báthory with whatever they’re calling the Tome of Eternal Darkness?

It looks like it’s in a pretty far along state as it is, and the footage (unlike other folks above) has made me feel pretty enthusiastic about the game. I liked the little detail that the button prompts looked like the Wii buttons, as a neat little continuation to the Gamecube original.

I think I’m going to see how the campaign comes along, and if it’s looking healthy nearer the end, I’ll pledge then. I hope it gets made but I doubt that the fairly small amount I can afford is likely to make much difference.

• Ansob says:

Why are you casting anything with any rune other than Mantorok? Chump!

• Jumwa says:

Agreed on all but one point.

I’ll be ducking out from the kickstarter campaign, Silicon Knights didn’t do anything worthy of note after they parted way with Nintendo. But if the game comes out and I hear it’s not terrible, they’ll have my money then and there.

I’ll probably buy it on my WiiU for old time’s sake too!

But yes, at this early stage of development it doesn’t surprise me that they’re sticking to showing cutscenes. That’s just easier to do at that point and looks better than watching someone hack at things in an early game build.

8. DavidMG says:

How the hell has no one noticed the misspelling at the beginning? “Edgar Allen* Poe” it says. It’s Allan! Starting countdown until someone calls me a “grammar nazi.” Yeah, go ahead while I try to show that I care for the spelling of one of the greatest authors in the English language.

9. wormguy says:

Come on RPS! Why no mention of Denis Dyack / Silicon Knights’ extremely shady business history? It seems like the kind of thing you’d like to point out before telling people that they can give their money to this project.

10. sabrage says:

The way they’re running this Kickstarter is unbelievably shady. I’ll buy it when it’s a real thing.

11. WJonathan says:

Is this not a complete rehash of the early monastery level of ED? It seems disturbingly similar. Same camera angles, same character models; only a change in voiceovers, resolution, and the boring netherworld breakaway. This could easily be a mod done by someone with access to the original game code. Waaay to much time spent panning around the character in each room. I see no “gameplay” on display here…something scammy about this whole presentation.

12. ripper_hugme says:

Multiple insane ramblings follow:

No combat or magic system on display? That’s a deal breaker for me.

Maybe getting a publisher will limit the amount of crazy under Dyackolth.

‘Alexander 2.0′ should have said “this cannot be happening”, sounds more ye olde that way.

Also the fact the lass and her ‘mistress’ appear to be the framing device saddens me a tad, since the time period depicted likely means no modern day sections. I had a whale of a time using a magic/insanity/blood (or power?) sawn-off shotgun in the Edward Rovias chapter.

Comment on this story