And Now Shadow Of The Eternals Has A Kickstarter Too

By Nathan Grayson on May 14th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Is the obnoxious watermark real, or is it all in your miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind?

Do you know what the very scariest thing is? No, no, not losing your mind and truly believing that – I don’t know – you always have to sneeze but never can. Obviously, it’s the realization that your multi-million dollar crowdfunding campaign might not reach the golden heights you originally anticipated. Which is not to say that Shadow of the Eternals is a sinking ship, but a hair over $150,000 (of a $1,500,000 goal) in one week is maybe not the most surefire start. And so, “due to overwhelming popular demand,” Precursor has launched a Kickstarter on top of the main drive, and it’s off to… well, I can certainly confirm it’s started.

As of writing, Shadow’s Kickstarter was at $23,578 of its $1,350,000 goal. That comes after 24 hours of existence, which is 247,000 years in Kickstarter time. It is, however, worth noting that this one’s set to cough its final sand grain into the bottom of the hourglass in 35 days – which is both longer than many other Kickstarters and a rather marked extension over the first funding campaign (now at 23 days remaining).

Precursor also recently released nine minutes of footage, which actually looks rather spiffy – though somewhat madly cut-scene-heavy. But maybe that’s just for show, and the final product will ease off the “moviemoviemoviemovie” pedal a little.

Well, if it ends up existing, that is. Precursor’s limbs could well be tangled in Silicon Knights’ weeping wreckage, especially given how reluctant Precursor’s seemed to talk about that rather important connection. Also, there’s the obvious matter of a rather tepid reaction to this crowdfunding attempt, but a breathless sprint to the finish isn’t entirely out of the question just yet.

It’s a complicated situation. Fingers crossed that it somehow results in an excellent game, but history says that’s probably not the most, um, plausible outcome here.

, , , .

1. Chalky says:

That target adjustment is a bit weird, isn’t it? They wanted 1.5mil to make the game, clearly decided that wasn’t going to happen so they decided to do a kickstarter for 1.35m.

Is their non-kickstarter a flexible funding thing? So they’re using that 0.15m from that to add up to 1.5mil over all? If that’s the case then I feel rather sorry for their backers since I doubt they’ll be seeing anything for their money.

golem09 says:

1.5m -150k they already collected on their own site = 1.35m
      and they clarified that the funding on their site is not flexible. If they decide so at the end.
      Well, whatever, won’t pledge. Not on their own site, and not on kickstarter.

• jemkem05 says:

If you think Patrick`s story is impressive…, five weaks-ago my son in law earnt $8989 workin 40 hours a month from their apartment and the’re neighbor’s mom`s neighbour done this for 3 months and made more than $8989 parttime on there pc. apply the guidelines on this site grand4.com
      (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

2. HisMastersVoice says:

Well, even if the demo footage looks okay, this is one KS campaign that won’t see my pennies.

It just doesn’t smell right.

Schmudley says:

Know what you mean. Would love a return to Eternal Darkness, but this whole thing seems odd.

3. killias2 says:

Four letters: A, C, M, and S

Arrange them correctly, and you can find out more about this project!

Harlander says:

I don’t get it, what’s Eternal Darkness got to do with OpenVMS?

lowprices says:

They’re making it for macs? The monsters.

darkChozo says:

The Massachusetts Association of School Committees is contributing to this project? Interesting, never knew that.

• AzzerUK says:

What cameras? Where!? WHAT CAMERAS!?!?

• RobinOttens says:

It’s an educational game commisioned by Michigan City Area Schools? (thanks google!)

• Lanfranc says:

I can only agree that getting the American Congress on Surveying and Mapping involved is a sound precaution, because this seems like uncharted territory indeed!

RedViv says:

Sam C.? Who is that person, and what did they do?

• ProtoMan says:

Assassin’s Creed: Sandwich Making? Sounds like a fantastic idea for the next installment, where can I preorder?

• WrenBoy says:

My local smac dealer knew nothing about the project and almost shot me for misspelling his job title.

• Hauskamies says:

Aliens: Colonial MarineS? Not sure what the S is doing there but I totally agree. This game won’t turn out well.

4. Kobest says:

Same thoughts here, something is not right. It’s bad enough that I recently read that article about Dennis Dyack and Silicon Knights, but when this Kickstarter video looks EXACTLY like a level from the original ED, AND it is the rumored “two-story church” preview level that was a mess back in the SIlicon Knights days, that gives me enough reasons to be worried.

Also, please don’t believe any of that crap about Erzsébet Báthory. Historical facts, my ass!

Edit: “Killing as many as 400 young women in her obsessive quest to retain her youth.” Talking about the winners writing history, eh?

5. ZIGS says:

I’ll eat my hat if this gets funded

• BobbyDylan says:

If this does, and Jaggered Alliance doesn’t, I’ll join you.

• jonahcutter says:

Careful with that:

• RobinOttens says:

I’ll buy myself a hat and eat it if they manage to make the game they’re pitching for that kind of budget.

I assume most of that 9 minute gameplay demo is stuff they built back at Silicon Knights, and no way are they gonna be able to build a full game with those production values for only one-and-a-half million. I’d love to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, but that pitch is unconvincing and I don’t like how no-one’s even mentioning the whole Silicon Knights mess.

• Triplanetary says:

What do you say about it? It’s hard to put a positive spin on “Yeah, we shamelessly ripped bits of Unreal out and stuffed them into our ‘own’ engine, and then had the gall to sue Epic as if they were the bad guys.”

6. Apocalypse says:

I watched about 10 seconds of the original ign video, than I realized that I do not want to hear someone from IGN talking and closed the website.

Sorry dudes, maybe your game rocks, but I hate Mr. Moriarty.
    Oh, and your kickstarter video is about 3 eternities of boring and interchangeable talk, maybe not the best way to create some hype for your game.

• Brun says:

Don’t blame IGN, blame the console players for needing someone to tell them what they should be thinking during every trailer/reveal/preview.

lowprices says:

Crikey. While I’d love a sequel to Eternal Darkness, this gets dodgier every time I here something new about it. No sale.

Thurgret says:

Shoddy, dodgy funding practices are a really good way to get me to take no interest in a project at all. Others too, presumably. Surely these guys must have known this when they were planning it all?

9. Convolvulus says:

I wonder if they plan to secretly divert resources to an X-Men game.

10. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Can we just get a kickstarter to shut kickstarter down it has become a breeding ground for crappy concepts to get greenlight bypassing Steam Greenlight!

• Triplanetary says:

That’s a strange non sequitur. Steam Greenlight doesn’t directly fund games, nor does Kickstarter guarantee acceptance to Steam, so I don’t see how one is a replacement for the other.

• PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

What I am tryng to get at is a LOT of these projects are using Kickstarter as its way less hassle than going to a publisher who will take a LOT more money from them….so Kickstarter is their only option or try to get a Steam Greenlight & self fund guarantees a large audience.

If the game is any good that is. Most are pretty average so Kickstarter is their lifeline right now Publishers want sequels/prequels/known IP’s not indie hit or miss leftovers like so many of these games are!

11. Triplanetary says:

Ha, when I looked yesterday morning, the FAQ page of Precursor’s site said that they weren’t on Kickstarter because Kickstarter isn’t available to Canadians.

Now here he is on Kickstarter, with a location of Hamilton, Canada, no less. I smell bullshit.

• thegooseking says:

I think they can’t pay the funds into a Canadian bank account, but they can pay it to Canadians who have a US bank account. Or something like that.

I’m not 100% sure, but that was my impression.

strangeloup says:

I can confirm that this is indeed the case. Kickstarter requires a bank account based in the US or the UK, but does not necessitate the company in question being resident in either of those countries.

A friend of mine wanted to fund an art project, but as he lives in Canada and would be funding it from a Canadian account, he had to use IndieGoGo, which seems not to get anything like the attention Kickstarter does, and thus far has unfortunately not seen an awful lot of pledges. (That and I suspect prices in Canadian Dollars might as well be in moon coins for a lot of people.)

12. Maxheadroom says:

I dunno, that Road (Rash) Redemption kickstarter was only asking for £150,000 and up to 3 days before the final bell that had less than 100,000 yet they still pulled it off.

Never underestimate the last minute push

• Bhazor says:

A kickstarter follows a U.

Large initial growth for first three days and then a three week lull then a final push. However, it’s almost always a U shape and the initial rush is the same as the amount in the final push. Point being, the first few days show how big a push the project can expect.

In this case? Not much.

phlebas says:

Minimum $50 pledge to get the whole game? Hrm.

14. Bhazor says:

A rare example of a Kickstarter sequel being damaged because of the involvement of the original creator.

I mean Dyack is… well… a bit shit.

15. RProxyOnly says:

Can you please give some background on things like this before promoting it?

The guy running this (or heavily involved at least) isn’t very trust worthy.. so basically you are promoting an unsure project and shady past practices at the cost of your integrity towards your readership?

That’s not very good. :< Please show some responsibility in future.

ffordesoon says:

I’m not sure saying that he hopes it is an excellent game, but finds it improbable that it will actually be one is a ringing endorsement on Nathan’s part, let alone RPS’.

• RProxyOnly says:

He’s giving it airtime (where MANY deserving projects get none) without also reporting on the behind the scene facts.. People will just read that RPS has an article about it and automatically take it as an endorsement… People do tend not to read fully/properly/at all.

It’s not a very good position to take, and it certainly wouldn’t be the first time that this site has failed remarkably to report the whole truth and/or the actual facts.

Morangie says:

No, he’s right. I only read the headline and was so excited that RPS 100% endorsed this (and also used their voodoo mind powers to take away my free will) that I sold both my kidneys and gave all the money to Precurser. Its only now, as I wait for the dialysis to finish, that I’ve seen the shady background to this game and realise that I should actually look for myself at what I spend my money on.

THANKS RPS.

• Geewhizbatman says:

Ah–To go back to the old days where news outlets acted as gatekeepers. Don’t just tell me something–Tell me only the things that are “good” for me and tell me only things that I “should” know.

But snarky comments aside, I think that the amount of hate that this man’s name attached to a project is getting is part of why he believes that forum culture is an evil storm brooding over us. I’d just argue that it isn’t forum culture, it’s anytime that you ask large number of people their opinions. You have to expect the majority to be full of the complexity that makes humans–humans.

He isn’t Lex Luthor. He isn’t sitting in his chair plotting ways to make shitty games and screw people over. All legal troubles are much more complex than they seem from a distance. Does this excuse past behavior or performance? No. Should this be enough reason to downgrade the hard work of many people essentially just doing their job and trying their best? I would argue no, but that’s my personal standard. Just because Dyack is involved doesn’t promise that it’s going to be a shitty experience and I would just generally argue that anytime that sort of thinking is involved (polarized thought of one apple can spoil the bunch and the like) it can evolve into something unhealthy. If what you’re saying is that you wish this man would disappear from his life long line of work, that has awarded him considerable prestige and influence, and just go wither in a hole somewhere—I would say that’s a little unreasonable. If you think it’s unfair that he has been awarded such life experiences given past troubles, I would argue that sounds like a really harsh world to live in. If I had to switch careers/homes/partners/hobbies for every time I made a regrettable mistake or life choice then I would be a gibbering mass of self-doubt.

If you’re not going to support the game, then don’t. But giving this man the power to sway your opinions about things that are essentially massive group projects seems a little heavy handed. I know I’m not going to fund the project. That’s because I actually agree with Dyack and don’t think unfinished products should be judged by uninformed masses (see: me.) I’m not a critical game designer and so my opinions are relegated to “Ooo pretty—Boo too shooty-stabby.” Not exactly an opinion I’m willing to back with money, let alone my own.

• Triplanetary says:

All legal troubles are much more complex than they seem from a distance

Reduced ad absurdum, this kind of argument basically ends up saying that you can never criticize either side in a lawsuit, because hey, you never know, it could be more complex than you realize!

It probably is. I’ll admit I skimmed over some of the 47 pages of the judge’s summary of Silicon Knights v. Epic, but between that and the news articles I’ve read I still feel like I have as firm a grasp on the case as a layperson who wasn’t present can. And Dyack’s behavior was, to my perception, pretty unambiguously shitty. To call it a “regrettable mistake” introduces a degree of ambiguity in terms of his actions and motivations that just isn’t there. If there’s some perfectly reasonably explanation for what he did, he’s never come forward with it. And no, that’s not “guilty until proved innocent,” because he’s already been proved guilty, albeit of a civil rather than criminal offense.

Furthermore, based on the whistleblowers’ description of working for Silicon Knights, I think it’s fair to say that no, Dyack does not deserve to be in a position of authority. Not that I’m in any position to enforce such a judgment, nor should I be, but I’m certainly not going to pay him to employ people to make a game.

It’s kind of amazing how many words you expended completely sidestepping any specifics of the situation. All your vague platitudes about second chances just don’t apply here.

• Geewhizbatman says:

And that kind of argument is a slippery slope and if you’re claiming to want to use fallacy chitter chat in your argument you’ll understand why that’s bad form. Just because I’m saying that legal troubles are more complex than is often given credit =/= that I think that one cannot form opinions based off of legal battles and their conclusions.

I’d love to go and explain some of my points but given that it’s kind of amazing how many words you expended completely sidestepping any specifics of the situation. All your vague platitudes about second chances just don’t apply here shows you’re happy to use ad hominem, specifically in poisoning the well by implying that my writing style is superfluous, that by not addressing specifics of the situation in Dyrack’s life is equal to not addressing issues regarding this specific case of gaming crowd sourcing as an inter-personal medium that also is connected to Dyrack and that my comments are vague platitudes make it pretty clear that isn’t going to go very far as you’ve already decided. Just like most people seem to have already decided what they’d like to do about this game just because a single man is involved.

Harlander says:

Right, that’s it, I’m deleting the Wikipedia page on informal logical fallacies.

• Triplanetary says:

and if you’re claiming to want to use fallacy chitter chat in your argument

It’s cute how you say this, and then a couple paragraphs later try to toss the phrase “ad hominem” back at me without actually having any idea what it means.

• WrenBoy says:

To be fair, he clearly was last week.

ffordesoon says:

Too Human.

• Triplanetary says:

Oh, Dyack’s shittiness extends well beyond “he made a shitty game once,” I assure you.

Too Human is really bad, don’t get me wrong. But I can forgive a good developer making the occasional bad game. Dyack is not a good developer. Further, he is not a good person.

• derbefrier says:

Am I the only person on the planet that really liked Too Human? It wasn’t perfect and was waaaaay over hyped but I still thought it was a good game. It was way to short though.

ffordesoon says:

Care to elaborate?

I realize he’s been a dick on podcasts in the past, but I can forgive that. You seem to be speaking from a position of more comprehensive knowledge.

• deadpan says:

Posted in the other Eternal post’s comments:

• Triplanetary says:

In addition to deadpan’s link, look up Silicon Knights v. Epic. Essentially SK sued Epic because the Unreal engine was, according to SK, so broken as to constitute a contract violation.

That they filed the suit doesn’t offend me. What offends me is that, over the course of the lawsuit, it came to light that SK had been deliberately ripping chunks of code out of Unreal and using it in “their” in-house engine, in violation of copyright and trade secret laws. When Epic started digging into this, they tried to cover it up, but ultimately failed.

SK had even gone so far as to claim that Unreal’s brokenness had been what drove them to turn to their in-house engine instead, which made it pretty galling when it turned out that that in-house engine had been built using chunks of Unreal code.

strangeloup says:

For:
    * I have played through Eternal Darkness more times than any other game I can readily think of
    * I actually really liked Too Human even though basically nobody else did, and played through that about 3 or 4 times as well
    * Now it’s on Kickstarter I don’t have to worry about the money being taken out for over a month, and even then only if it reaches its target
    * $25 (the pledge tier I’m looking at) is about £16 and I’ve easily spent more than that on pointless crap or things that have turned out to be rubbish

Against:
    * Denis Dyack is a bit of a cock

So I think I’m going to support this. It might turn out not to be the best move I’ve ever made, but then again I feel like throwing $25 towards a successor to one of my favourite games ever in the hopes it’ll recapture some of the magic balances out the cynicism I’ve been feeling towards a fair bit of recent gaming news.

Edit: Also, I was just reminded they did the Gamecube remake of Metal Gear Solid, which was pretty damn good when I tried a friend’s copy. It goes for about £40 second hand now though, so I doubt I’ll ever play it all the way through unless it gets a rerelease.

18. lordbain says:

Wow! another game I could care less about

19. Strangerator says:

Well, I doubt this kickstarter will succeed. Kind of a shame, but maybe Nintendo will finally get cracking with the real Eternal Darkness license. They need some decent exclusives anyhow. Also my friend owns a Wii U.

20. orient says:

Ew, so basically Precursor (who totally aren’t just Silicon Knights in a new building) wanted nonrefundable cash up-front to get themselves off the ground, having burnt every other avenue of funding, from government to publisher. So they take the $150,000 when they realise their campaign is dying in the arse, then throw it up on Kickstarter — because they pretty much have to so they don’t look like bandits — knowing fine well that they probably won’t make it.

Oh well, if there’s a sudden $150,000 jump near the end of the campaign, just put it down to Psycho Mantis.