Showtime: Show Me The Indie Game Sales

By Jim Rossignol on May 14th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

We all like a cheap game or five, and so it is with some pleasure that Positech sends word of it having corralled thirty-two cheap games in one place. Not a bundle, no, but thirty two indie games are for sale on their site, including the pretty and amusing Voxatron, the blistering Infested Planet, the lovely IGF-commanding Darwinia (who doesn’t own that already? YOU ARE HERETICS), the fulsome Revenge Of The Titans, the satisfying Space Pirates & Zombies, the mercilessly updated Evochron Mercenary, and a bunch of other games I have never played, but all have videos and money off over on the site. All the money in this sale goes directly to the developers. No middlemen, no “others”. That seems like a good way operate to me. But then I would say that.

Four days until the sale is up.

Why did you click down here? That was the end of the post. Ah well, watch this:

1. Guvornator says:

Good ol’ Birdy Nam Nam. Shame they’re pimping themselves out to Skrillex/A$AP Rocky these days.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

That hand switch sure looks like a plasmid

• belgand says:

No, visuals like that call for elaborate, pretentious prog-rock, not some sort of electronic music for children to ingest drugs to. Roger Dean would be very upset I suspect.

• jemkem05 says:

If you think Patrick`s story is impressive…, five weaks-ago my son in law earnt $8989 workin 40 hours a month from their apartment and the’re neighbor’s mom`s neighbour done this for 3 months and made more than $8989 parttime on there pc. apply the guidelines on this site grand4.com
      (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

2. AngoraFish says:

Man, that’s one damn ugly list of mostly pretty old games that should already have had every last cent wrung out of them after previously featuring in half a dozen different bundles, sales and miscellaneous giveaways.

princec says:

You’d be surprised… of my own stats, I can tell you that Revenge of the Titans is so far owned by less than 0.5% of the Steam userbase alone. The market for these games, as far as we’re all concerned, is effectively infinite… the trouble is just getting people to even know they exist.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

That’s a crying shame. Revenge of the Titans is a tower defense that hasn’t fallen into the same rut as all the rest.

• belgand says:

You mean the fact that they’re all little more than knock-offs of an already exceedingly simple and rather dull game?

It’s not a genre, it’s a single game and a large number of “me-too” games that ape it.

• crunchyfrog555 says:

That’s terrible sophistry at it’s worst.

It IS a genre, whether you like it or not. Video Games by their nature are iterative, but Tower Defence is CLEARLY a genre of it’s own.

However, if it’s not, what genre would YOU say they fall under? The fact that you haven’t said speaks volumes.

Look, I get that you don’t like the genre, but please don’t belittle or cast slights on something which deserves it’s place as much as any other game. Personally, I dislike CoD-style military brown shooters, as they’re as dull as dishwater to me, but they deserve their place too.

So, if you don’t like ‘em, fine, but don’t spout nonsense to try and make yourself a bit superior.

princec says:

Possibly coz it’s an RTS that just looks like a TD.

• MattM says:

I hear “If people were going to buy it, they would have already done so.” a lot in forums. I don’t know that I have seen much evidence to support it though. AAA games with $10-$100 mil ad campaigns seem to sell most of their copies in the first few months, but some (like blizzard or maxis games) have really long shelf lives. Indie games tend to have a much more drawn out sales period. Minecraft still sells 10k per day despite “everyone” already owning it.

• sinister agent says:

Yeah, that concept depends on the notion that everyone always buys everything they will ever want within a few years of its creation. There are so many holes in it that it’s barely worth pointing them out.

• crunchyfrog555 says:

That is certainly true when you’re talking of AAA games with marketing budgets that make your eyes bleed. However, one of the foibles of such indie games is that directly down to their lack of marketing they become “sleeper hits” of sorts.

It’s not too dissimilar to certain indie records (back when they were truly indie records).

Of course, there is also the similarity to the situation with Rocky Horror Picture Show. Although that was a film of a stage show, it flopped massively at start, until someone hit upon showing it at midnight, and it found a receptive audience.

Sometimes indie games are a little too “out there” for many who may be more used to sticking within their “comfort genres”, but they can gradually grow on you.

Anyway, more of the same as far as I’m concerned. It’s kind of nice that such studios can get a nice fairly constant dripfeed of income this way too.

• Aaax says:

I checked ROTT and I think art direction was really good, environment art was great, but I found game mechanics somewhat lacking. So I feel it’s how fun the games are is what limits sales, rather than marketing.

princec says:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say the mechanics in RotT are lacking… it’s probably one of the deepest RTS games out there.

Vesuvius says:

I’d consider it a mechanics problem that you could effectively get into an unrecoverable situation in the game by having purchased the wrong upgrades- creating an impossible to win scenario- and yet there was no easy way to roll back or respec, and they never communicated clearly the benefits of many of the purchases you could make.

princec says:

It’s trivial to roll back on the level selection screen. No level is impossible even with totally the wrong technology. There’s an Endless game mode you can play with the tech in to your heart’s content. There’s a button you can press to make the game easy – even trivially easy, if you’re stuck. Apart from respec – which is coming in the next patch – what more could one possibly want?

Vesuvius says:

I haven’t touched it since the late beta- it’s possible they fixed my gripe- but at that point you really could get stuck.

princec says:

Ah yes – it’s almost a completely different game now.

• Aaax says:

It’s a long time since I played it, so I can’t offer anything more concrete, but I remember not being too fond of the cross mission permanence of credits and barricades. I never knew how much I would need later, so I tried spending as little as possible, sometimes spending too little resulting in numerous mission restarts.

But then, it might be me, since I haven’t found any free-roaming TD game really fun. And most fun TD imho is Kingdom Rush, so I might be wierd…

I wish you did something like RTS in Red Alert 2 vein in the same universe, that would be awesome.

• TechnicalBen says:

Ah thanks, I got it a while back (I forget if in a bundle or direct with Steam key?), and I found the dynamic leveling made it near impossible to beat the end. Spamming everything just seemed to get obliterated instantly. Even with my best arrangement+infinity of towers. :(

Loved the art, characters and everything else though! Even the music has a nice vibe to it. :)

• benkc says:

Wait, Revenge of the Titans is an RTS? I somehow had it in my mind that it was a Robotron-like (or whatever you want to call that genre). I think I actually own a copy from a humble bundle, I’ll have to check it out.

• dE says:

Really? Old? When a lot of them aren’t even done yet and are basically preorders? You’ve got an odd definition of old.

Buzko says:

That video was very cool. Like an animated version of the old Heavy Metal comics.

• vivlo says:

If you say this, it’s that maybe you are not aware of this ? https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lOQvqkyP30
      (i feel a little ashamed to link the full movie, buuuut seen as it must be not that practical to get it today, and seen as it’s one of the first research result on YouTube…)

edit : this is a 2000 thing, it’s probably preferable to watch the original : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMNjdCel8L8 (trailer only that time, but you’ll get the idea)

• Guvornator says:

Their video for “Goin’ In” is even better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44xUwId9AgM

• Convolvulus says:

I think it’s a nod to Moebius, one of the founders of the original French magazine. There’s some Fantastic Planet in there as well.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I bet Craig hasn’t got Darwinia. He spends his days playing shove ha’penny and wondering why he’s asked to write about these electromonical games.

• Ross Angus says:

Be a good chap, Craig, and delete play Darwinia.

• JackShandy says:

I do like the idea that Craig has never actually played a game, and spend all his time reading everything he can about them, in constant terror that someone will realize.

• Kobest says:

Dammit Pearson, you’ve gone too far! You’re off the case!

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

CP: I don’t care. I’m going after Mendoza. I quit!
        Chief: You can’t quit. You’re fired.
        CP: You can’t fire me. You’re fired!
        Chief: Uh, I don’t think you quite know how this is supposed to work.
        CP: I’m going to have to ask for your badge and your gun.

• Dowr says:

He probably doesn’t know what a game is. He just heard someone say it in the context of computer games, now he uses the word hoping it’s right.

strangeloup says:

I had a look at this the other day (via Savygamer, I think?) and was vaguely disappointed to find that I already had most of the generally-acknowledged-as-good ones, and the demos for the ones that I’d not heard of but looked kind of interesting ended up being rather unimpressive. Oh well.

6. lomaxgnome says:

While I like the idea of buying directly from the devs, very few of these sales qualify as “cheap” (most are only 50% off or less) and almost all of them have been available cheaper or in bundles previously.

7. Dowr says:

I have to go listen to more Birdy Nam Nam songs, now.

Be right back.