VROOMBIFF: Road Redemption Funded

By Nathan Grayson on May 14th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Redemption. Usually, it’s synonymous with some form of return, comeback, or newfound evidence of worth. It’d have been kind of a shame (in a bizarre, cosmic kind of way), then, if something called Road Redemption crashed and burned before it even crossed the starting line. Fortunately, the Road Rash spiritual successor ended its funding drive with a respectable $173,803, putting it ever-so-slightly beyond its $160,000 goal. Soon, there will be much katana jousting and celebratory roadkill feasting. But first: Steam and, you know, actually finishing the game.

With any luck, we’ll be able to cry havoc and let loose the hogs of hell (and very dangerous fastness) in August of 2014. There will also be various backer betas before that, as well one open to all shortly prior to release.

For now, however, Road Redemption is attempting to race its way to the top of the ever-perilous Mt Greenlight, and DarkSeas seems quite adamant about making the cut. If it manages that feat, backers will apparently also receive Steam keys straight out the gate. But what if you despise Steam, the color green, lights, and the idea of giving literal definitions to brands and abstract concepts? Well then, you might be out of luck on the bonus front, as Road Redemption’s Kickstarter ground to a halt before hitting any stretch goals.

Still though, we now get to find out if Road Rash by a slightly less gross name (not to mention an entirely different development team) will smell as sweet, and there’s certainly something to be said for that. EA hasn’t exactly been chomping at the bit to revive the series recently, so this is a case where something is much better than nothing. And now, all that’s left is to sit back and watch the miracle that is game development run its course. Just as nature intended.

, , .

1. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Aww, there’s shooting? :(

I wanted blunt force trauma exclusively…

• MrLebanon says:

yeah.. and get this… the iconic tazer-baton is backer only

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Ugh. That’s like id making the sawed-off shotgun DLC/preorder only for their new game.

Surely they would do nothing of that sort?

• El_Emmental says:

really ? there’s mod tools anyway, no ?

that would be dumb to make it KS-backers only, just give them early access, more skins for the weapons/bikes and let’s roll…

• MrLebanon says:

All backers get wooden barbed wire bat exclusive

Then there are tier exclusive… 32 dollars or higher got backers a chrome barbed wire bat… Stun batton? Only $130 or higher backers. $130 also gets people a backer exclusive motorcycle (some high-tech prototype looking thing).

According to the devs “it’s all balanced to be fun in the multiplayer game, we just want a way to say thanks to our early supporters”

Yeah.. put a bad taste in my mouth. Stun baton was one of the most hilarious road rash weapons… and unless you chucked $130 dollars at the devs to get it, you will never see it in road redemption.

• bad guy says:

I’m sure you will get a taste of it some time.

• valczir says:

From their kickstarter: “A few months after Road Redemption launches, we’ll be releasing our full C# source code, and Unity project files to the public.”

Nothing is going to stay backer-exclusive for terribly long, because the nature of open source is that everyone gets everything – eventually. So yeah, the stun baton (or, at least, the version of the stun baton mentioned on their kickstarter page) may be backer-exclusive at first, but not for terribly long.

• jemkem05 says:

If you think Patrick`s story is impressive…, five weaks-ago my son in law earnt $8989 workin 40 hours a month from their apartment and the’re neighbor’s mom`s neighbour done this for 3 months and made more than $8989 parttime on there pc. apply the guidelines on this site grand4.com
          (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

• seniorgato says:

This is the only thing that bothers me. It almost seems like cheating. Then again, he does do the terminator 2 reloading trick, so thats cool.

2. ScubaMonster says:

I LOVED the Road Rash games. I spent so many hours with my Sega Genesis playing those it was insane. Definitely keeping an eye on this.

3. kregg says:

I keep reading this as Red Dead Redemption and then I get all ready to WALLETFACE but then I re-read the title and I CRYFACE.

4. grundus says:

Can’t help but believe it should have been called VROOMBIFF for real.

Also can’t believe the xFACE meme is still going. Was it ever that funny?

• N'Al says:

Now that you’ve referred to it as “xFACE”, yes. That’s the best of the lot, surely.

5. aldo_14 says:

Wasn’t there a rumour a while back about Criterion expressing interest in doing a new Road Rash? Or did I just imagine that?

6. Premium User Badge Colonel J says:

And it hasn’t escaped our attention there was no Kickstarter Katchup this week.

So now we need a Katchup catch-up. Chop chop!

• guygodbois00 says:

+1 for that Ketchup. Also, where is my StarDrive WIT? Chop chop, indeed.

7. Maxheadroom says:

I only backed this because with 3 days to go they were still like $50,000 short and I felt like championing a no-hope underdog (I have very fond memories of Road Rash too mind)

Bah, now it’s funded they’ll take my monies

8. guygodbois00 says:

Holy Twisp and Catsby, Batman! After watching that greenlight clip, I’m very intrigued, indeed. Will spend cold hard cash when it is done and after reading WIT, sure.

9. Premium User Badge Simplisto says:

I loved Road Rash, but this doesn’t appear to be the spiritual successor it claims to be. Not even close.

Naturally, I wish the developers the best of luck with it, but it’s not the game I’ve been waiting for.

10. EightZero306 says:

Am I the only person who gets upset when a biker uses their right hand for holding anything other than the throttle?

• jonahcutter says:

It’s very simple to rig your throttle to stay open when not held.

Now being able to accelerate without a hand on the throttle is another matter.

11. Michael Fogg says:

Red Road Redemption

12. Wonderboy2402 says:

The actual dev of the original road rashes has something brewing. That is the reason I held back on pledging for road redemption. I also do not like the idea of fire arms, drugs, felons and biker gangs being part of the game. None of these were in the Road Rash series to my knowledge.

• guygodbois00 says:

It’s like in that XCOM promotional video: “You guys like aliens?” “No.” “Exactly! You want to shoot them.”

13. Mabswer says:

>Road Rash Redemption<

14. bit.bat says:

One of the things I loved about the originals was that you had to walk back to your bike after crashing while avoiding traffic and other riders. It was hilarious and also made crashing tense and punishing.

Please no blinking back into the track!

15. Ztox says:

Hi.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just to let you guys know, it actually raised $182,791 in total. They had some problems with pledges on the last couple of days so introduced Paypal as a way to pledge, giving the same rewards.

They also made a their $178k stretch goal, but it was only for an XBLA port which I’m sure nobody on here cares about.

Just FYI