Space Cubed: Infinite Pixels

By Craig Pearson on May 15th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Dat anti-aliasing
There’s a scene in Anchorman where it’s pointed out that Ron Burgundy will read out whatever’s written on the teleprompter. I am like that with RPS posts and open-world space games. I see a space game and I immediately whack open WordPress, ready to point out the many ways in which the game will allow you to play. Right now it seems like it’s a particularly fertile genre: the past few months has given me plenty of reason to hit the CMS and make words at your face holes. Today’s Pavlovian response post is about Infinite Pixels, a space game with elements of Minecraft and bits of the Garry’s Mod gamemode Space Build. Come check it out with me, space fans. And just to get it out the way, there will be links to IndieGoGo and Greenlight in the post. But also a cool video.

More and more I find myself wanting a game where base-building isn’t abstract, like an RTS, but where you have to put thought into the buildings and their functions. So I might’ve squeed just a little at seeing the water and food buildings being settled onto the planet’s surface, and the player plucking individual plants from the growing racks. I want to build a little colony on a floating rock with friends, then go off and explore, and have it all part of one big map. I want to have reasons to leave the planet that have nothing to do with fighting and everything to do with exploring, visiting new planets, finding anomalies and interesting worlds.

I could’ve written all that without having watched this video of the game in action. It really just reminded me of the game for me. And Infinite Pixels might not even be that game, but there’s a lot here that I want to try out.

There’s some odd leaning thing going on with the character, and some people might not want to play another game that’s clearly been inspired by Minecraft. I’m cool with that, to be honest. As an aside, I can’t think of a game with a bigger impact on other games than Minecraft.

The Greenlight page is here, and there’s an IndieGoGo page as well.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. RaiderJoe says:

I lost interest when I read the caption “speeded up” @ 2:45. Anyone who can’t be bothered to use correct grammar in their pitch video definitely isn’t getting my money.

2. Luringen says:

It’s made by two people with previous experience as minecraft modders, the game isn’t too interesting yet and the indiegogo page apparently says the game will be delivered complete in July. I doubt there will be much content here.

3. abandonhope says:

I stumbled onto their Greenlight page yesterday. It looks fairly interesting, but Indiegogo increasingly seems barely viable for games. Also, flexible funding. This is probably a look but don’t touch for me.

4. amateurviking says:

Super Minecraft Galaxy?

5. Flavioli says:

I’m anxiously awaiting the first ever indie game that doesn’t have the word “Pixel” or “Zombie” on the title. This may never happen though.

• Phendron says:

do not not eat

• phelix says:

In no particular order: Terraria, StarForge, Minecraft, Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy, FTL, Magicka, Lone Survivor, Trine, Superbrothers S&S EP, Dear Esther, Audiosurf, Waveform, Killing Floor (technically), Botanicula, Bastion, Overgrowth, Braid, Darwinia, Evochron Mercenary, Penumbra, Amnesia, LIMBO, Prison Architect, Kerbal Space Program, Sanctum, Don’t Starve, Torchlight, Proteus, Antichamber, Kinetic Void, Mark of the Ninja, Dungeon Defenders, Hotline Miami, Awesomenauts, Kentucky Route Zero, Anna, Sang Froid, Little Inferno, et cetera ad nauseum.

I completely agree, I too have yet to see any indie game not bearing the magic words ‘zombie(s)’ or ‘pixel(s)’!

• diamondmx says:

I’m anxiously awating the first indie game not to use those cliched vowels. Everybody’s doing that and it’s gotten tired. And don’t think that ‘y’ gets a free pass here – guilt by association.

6. sk2k says:

I knew i saw this game “template” somewhere else. Infinite Pixels aka Diversitas aka Frozen Nightmare. They really trying to get your money, instead of finishing ONE of their games. I call it a scam.

Looks similar?

Their site is http://frozennightmare.com. The site title is “Infinte Pixels|a space survival…blabla”. The first article is called “Diversitas”.
    It looks like they lost the overview over their numerous projects.

• abandonhope says:

Wait. This is kind of critical information.

So, three flexible-funding projects currently on Indiegogo.

Diversitas aka Frozen Nightmare by Frozen Studios – Miami (dev listed as being in Nicaragua)
      Data Travelers by Frozen Studios – Nicaragua
      Infinite Pixels by Team Somnio (or Frozen Nightmare?) – Nicaragua

Multiple YouTube accounts. One project on Desura, one on Greenlight, one removed from Greenlight.

Something’s off. Beware.

• KDR_11k says:

Perhaps they’re also a deposed prince of Nicaragua?

I think for block based spacecraft building I’ll look at Zooptek’s Avarice, the demo seems interesting and well thought out and their previous game was fun.

• The Random One says:

Maybe Nicaragua just has a thriving but surprisingly derivative indie community.

7. FriendlyNeighbourhoodMurderer says:

I just contributed. 12$ for alpha + full game seems very nice (and low risk) for me. I hope late 2013/all of 2014/beyond will be a golden age of gaming. I’ve contributed to over 20 games and they will soon start to trickle in :D

8. Damien Stark says:

I wish there was a way to filter RPS so that it only showed me games which already exist. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about RPS. You chaps are doing valuable work and should continue to do so.

The problem is on my end. I am simply frustrated by seeing so many stories and thinking “wow, that looks great!” only to learn “well yes, it might be, if and when it’s released, two years from now.”

9. Devan says:

Hmm, it seems to me that any planet has only six smallish areas where placing buildings actually makes sense. How would you even walk around the rest of the planet? It would be too jagged.

10. Wurstwaffel says:

I’d like a space-walking exploration/mining game, but not like this. Not with textureless blocks

11. scatterlogical says:

There’s like half-a-dozen attempts at games like this on Desura. They all look like soulless ripoffs of Minecraft set in space. It’s kind of like a new take on the modder’s AK47 model – a cliche attempt at badly imitating a very popular concept. Why this one deserves RPS coverage when it clearly doesn’t have anything interesting to offer, I don’t understand.

12. BurningPet says:

I see nothing wrong in taking the voxel world mechanic and implementing it in another game and setting as long as it serve the game mechanics. when it actually gets in the way, it feels like just a poor attempt at hoping to grab minecraft fans and success. people who try to emulate minecraft’s success must acknowledge that its huge success is due to it being an all family game, centered around kids. it might started otherwise, it might never aimed for that, it might diverge from that with the help of certain mods and it might have some minimal parts that go against it, but the vanilla game is a family-kids centered game.

With all due respect to minecraft and i have tons of respect to it, the impact it has will have on other games is no where near other games such as Dune2, Doom, Super mario and lots of others.

13. Ricochet64 says:

I wish that voxels would stop being such a fad. It’s a great idea if used correctly, for destruction, but a lot of the time its just being used as “style” to attract fans rather than an actual innovation. It seems like the players are the ones who actually have great ideas now a days.

14. Katorone says:

Have a look at Blockade Runner… It looks and feels 10x better. :D

15. Chaz says:

So that’s what the surface of Molyneux’s Curiosity looks like.

16. Noise says:

I’m starting to get the impression that people think voxels look good. Can’t be true though.

17. teamsomnio says:

the game has a voxel look (what most of you call minecraft look) because with such an ambitious concept we require low quality 3d models and cant afford professional 3d modelers.

regarding co-op
    there is a new gameplay vid showing the co-op mode

• pysiu says:

So, i will repeat my concern here , since as i can see you have removed this game AGAIN from the greenlight.

Did you stop the development on this game as well already (as you did with Diversitas on Desura/Indiegogo?).

Are you going to keep your promise with keeping your old supporters up to date with access to this game in case it is developed further after all?

Regardless of your promise i can see i am already left out (you didn`t provide me with any update more recent than 0.3. You also stopped responding to my emails…)

Comment on this story