DC Miniverse: Scribblenauts Unmasked Is Really Real

By Nathan Grayson on May 16th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Does 'being a dinosaur' count as a super power?

Or at least, as real as tiny god people from the bottomless depths of mute rooster boy’s imagination can be. But yes, the oft-rumored DC edition of 5th Cell’s boundless bowl of alphabet soup – titled Scribblenauts Unmasked – is now official, and it looks to be quite the thing. Adam expressed concern that attaching an official license to Scribblenauts might leave players with a world they can’t truly own, but this one has far more up its sleeve than DC’s tried-and-true roster of people who don’t understand how underwear work. On top of boasting every hero ever (incredibly obscure ones included, of course), you can make your own from a veritable toy factory of bits and pieces. Leap the break in a single bound for the debut trailer.

SO MANY BATMEN. And soon, you will be able to create fat Batman (Fatman), angry and/or 1960′s Batman (Madman), and baseball Batman (um, still Batman). Oh, the possibilities.

According to Kotaku, 5th Cell cracked open the DC Comics Encyclopedia and siphoned out over 2,000 characters – including every single Green Lantern (even a puppy!) and someone called Microwave Mom. There will also be plenty of locations to match, running the gamut from Gotham City and Metropolis to Atlantis and other planets.

Throughout all of that, the game will generate side-missions known as “heroic feats” based on various context-sensitive factors. These come on top of story objectives, so I don’t imagine you’ll be at a lack for things to do.

It may sound like a glorified expansion pack (and, quite frankly, it probably will be), but I’m still pretty excited. Scribblenauts is always a playground of dumb “what if” shenanigans, and my imagination’s already quite tickled by the sheer potential of a superheroic slant. I’m sure I’ll put it down after a chuckle-filled ten or so hours, but oh what a joyous ten hours they’ll be.

Scribblenauts Unmasked will be out this fall.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. c-Row says:

A Batman who fell from a very tall building (Splatman)?

2. blind_boy_grunt says:

do yourself a favour and don’t google for microwave mom, just saying.

• lowprices says:

Your warning made me so curious that i had to google it. It was… you were right. Now I need a hug.

• Gap Gen says:

Real murder/manslaughter case aside, I’m not sure the people who came up with the character understood how microwaves work. Unless her superpower is making people’s eyeballs/testicles explode. Or maybe interferes with their phone signal. Then again, it’s a superhero thing that doesn’t have to make any sense so eh whatever.

• lowprices says:

You could be her nemesis: Actual-Science-Gender-Non-Specific-Person.

• Geen says:

Concept: Superhero who’s sole power is exploding people’s testicles
        Additional Concept: Sneaky Bastard, who’s power is just being a sneaky jerk who replaces the frosting in oreos with toothpaste.

3. abandonhope says:

No Marvel heroes? I guess they need to be careful about using characters they don’t have the rights to.

• NyuBomber says:

…That would be the point of partnering with a specific company to get access to the license for their character catalog.

As for DC and Marvel ever collaborating on anything ever again….hahaha no. Sadface. :(

• abandonhope says:

Yeah, I know. This was supposed to be a reference to the Keyboard and Nyan Cats lawsuit. Clearly I’ve done a poor job.

4. Gap Gen says:

I’m not sure what can beat FAST JETPACK and FROG COSTUME, but it’s nice they’re trying.

• Solidstate89 says:

Jetpack?

Pffft. The adjectives you should always use are “Superpowered” and “Fast”. Maybe “Immortal” if you feel like getting into a fight with God.

5. Baron Mercury says:

Harley Watch, day 422: Still in terrible costume, DC show no signs of remorse.

• NyuBomber says:

- I’m fairly certain they’ve confirmed that you’ll have access to classic Harley outfit.

- Harley’s classic costume is available as DLC in the Injustice fighting game.

• Urthman says:

And that terrible Captain Marvel (sorry…SHAZAM) redesign looks even worse on Black Adam.

6. Solidstate89 says:

I wonder if you can still force NPCs to commit suicide.

7. CobraLad says:

I like how Darkseid, space god of evil with his own planet, stands behind Joker, a mobster boss with skin condition.

8. Discopanda says:

Cannibal Superman. MUAHAHAHA.

9. RProxyOnly says:

I thought DC were strict about issuing licenses on their comic ip’s for the reason of verisimilitude?

This is just a mess.. what’s the point of this?

10. newprince says:

I will buy this day 1 if it has Dayman and Nightman.

11. phlebas says:

They included the cast of Hero Hotline? Goodness. Guarantee me Ambush Bug and the Young Heroes In Love and I’m in.

Comment on this story