Neverwinter Diary: Tales From The Sword Coast Part 3

By John Walker on May 16th, 2013 at 9:00 pm.

The ongoing adventures of a man finding he’s been sucked into an MMO for the first time in years. Parts one and two are there.

So I guess I’ve finished Neverwinter. I’ve not reached the end of its content, but I’ve hit the limit of what it seems I’m going to be able to play.

That’s not as serious as it first sounds. For the first time in my life I’ve reached the level cap of an MMO – something I never thought I’d do. I’m level 60, I’ve unlocked access to the epic content, I’ve got more resources than I could ever spend, I’ve the best equipment I can get at this point – I feel like I’ve done pretty well getting here. The issue is, I’m a Trickster Rogue.

I don’t doubt for a moment that there are many veteran rogues trundling about the end-game content, who will think me a sissy or a fool, but whether it’s because I’ve specced myself all wrong, or because I’m failing to have spotted a technique that didn’t prove necessary in sailing through the previous 59 levels, the game is simply not possible for me to solo any longer. Even with a level 30 phoera companion, my class that is so specialised at taking on one or two enemies at once, just cannot cope with the overly powerful mobs that are thrown at you every step in the Whispered Caverns at this far end of the game. I’m not designed to be able to cope, despite the game’s insistence that everything but for dungeons should be solo-able. So, I guess I’m done.

Until now I’ve been really impressed with how the game’s been balanced for a weaker class like the rogue. A larger fight might pitch you against two more powerful enemies, and four or five grunts. You can AoE the grunts into a daze, and focus on the toughies with your selection from an ever-increasing set of skills, then pick off the remains. Or indeed distract the bosses with a pet or ghost of yourself, and take out the hangers-on to remove their needling attacks, and then launch your “daily” attacks on the big boys and girls. It’s very rewarding, being able to so successfully combat a genuinely deadly crowd with your gathered abilities. And with combat that involves actively reacting to enemy attacks, dodging out of attack radii, skirting around the back of bads to get a better strike, this is so much more than statically tapping at number keys.

These abilities meet their match, however, as soon as you’re facing three or more stronger enemies. And by far at their worst when competing against a full on boss, who can spawn stronger mobs to support him. On the journey to level 60, I estimate that I took on about ten “final boss” characters in each region’s last solo challenge, two of which were utterly impossible. One is becoming notorious – the giant mother wolf who is ludicrously overpowered (although I may have seen chatter that she’s been somewhat nerfed in the most recent patch). The other is a huge grumpy giant man thing at the end of a region I like to call Completely Buggered Up Volcano Land.

CBUVL is Neverwinter’s disaster. The huge game is fantastically well crafted, and incredibly smooth. Except for here. Feeling like it’s only half-finished, it contains a bunch of the dullest collect-me-do quests in the whole game, in a region where the game’s pathfinding directions inevitably lead you into giant walls of rock. For some reason the two main paths leading left and right from the starting area have been sealed off, but the game itself seems to have no idea about this. So you’re forced to run through the busy centre area, guessing at a mess of twisting passages and bridges that weave indirectly through the volcanic rock and streams of lava. There’s little fun to be had in the whole zone, the penultimate area on your journey to 60, so perhaps it’s fitting that the final boss should be such an arsehole.

In what has become a dangerous habit for me, I asked for help from the genuinely wonderful RPS guild (The Rotten Realm Of RPS – over 300 members now), and a friendly chap with an astonishing range of attack powers suited directly for large gangs of enemies helped me blitz through it. And with that ticked off the list, all that remained was a zone I literally can’t walk around. So, game over?

Although Neverwinter has quite the trick up its sleeve to keep me busy, until perhaps they rebalance things in favour of us poor fragile tricksters. The Foundry. And it’s to this that my diary shall travel next. On both sides of the fence.

The Foundry is the ever-growing repository of player-created content, both single quests and entire campaigns. Earlier forays into its offerings were a little mediocre, as you might expect from the content that had been thrown together in just a couple of days from availability. But I now fully expect to find some more established, deeper, and better crafted mini-games to play. The game’s system allows crowd voting to let the more popular content rise to the surface, so I hope to dig in and find some projects worth reporting.

And since that involves being somewhat judgemental toward amateur creations, it seems only fair that I attempt to contribute something of my own. I’ve already started work on a project, and will have thoughts on the systems by which they’re made, and perhaps even be brave enough to admit to whatever I create. And you can rest assured that I’ve already implemented the “crying” emote a number of times.

, , , , , .

1. Time4Pizza says:

And just as I commented in the previous posts: once the honeymoon wears off this will be in the dustbin like all the other MMOs not named World of Warcraft. It’s always the same, shiny new MMO is awesome! Well, until I play it for a couple of weeks. Then I realize it lacks the content and polish of WoW and I no longer play it.

From what I’ve seen, WildStar is the only upcoming MMO with any chance of having dethroning power. It looks like they poured a ton of time and money into it, and thats exactly what you need. Huge amounts of cash, and huge amounts of programmers/developers. I think from the first time you log into Neverwinter you can see they had cash and effort put into it, but nowhere near enough to rival the titans of the MMO world.

• Obc says:

i think, for gamers, atleast for me, it doesnt matter any more if a now upcoming MMO can beat WoW’s Number or Popularity as long as it can find a spot and stay there making a steady income and playing the long game. Of course publishers and/or Shareholders want big money fast and forever but overall, we as gamers, shouldnt worry wether a game can or cannot “dethrone” WoW. WoW will lose its number over time anyway. Just hope that by the time it ends a lot of different MMOs (or atleast MMOs based of different Property) have already found a niche and are doing well enough to give us options to chose from.

• Kirjava says:

You are really desperate that someone acknowledge this bit of “insight” you keep crowing about, aren’t you?

• Yosharian says:

I will acknowledge it – it’s good insight, and fits perfectly with my experience of every other MMO alongside WoW (even GW2 which I was sure would be the one to beat WoW finally).

Foosnark says:

I got bored with WoW before its first expansion. I have never, not even once, been tempted to go back.

I have a lifetime membership to Champions Online, and am approcahing my 800 day veteran reward. I quit playing it for a few months to mess with GW2 and went back to it. Now I’m in Neverwinter for a while.

I won’t be surprised if NW eventually bores me and I go back to Champions and/or GW2. But WoW? Still not tempting.

• Anders Wrist says:

My experience has been the exact same as yours, if you replace Champions Online with Anarchy Online.

I think most people get attached in some way to the first mmo they play, like I did with Anarchy, and then most of what comes after is just not as magical, for lack of a better word.

WoW introduced so many players to mmo’s, and as such, gave them this feeling.

• Slurpy says:

My first MMO was Final Fantasy XI, and I honestly thought it was the worst game I had ever played. Then I played WoW, and had to revise my opinion. Then I played Guild Wars, and put probably thirty-fifty hours before I got bored. Hellgate lasted about fifteen, because I *really* wanted to like it.

In my opinion, no one has yet managed to make a good MMO, with the possible exception of EVE – I went into it green and with no one to help, so I gave up after an hour. But from everything I read, it’s everything I want in an MMO – actually massive (not limited to 40 or 80 players), anything goes, permanent world, and completely batshit insane in scale and delivery. I wish CCP would hurry up and finish WoD, it’s the first MMO I have actually been excited about for almost ten years.

• Phendron says:

If it’s not a titan or groundbreaking, then it must be a flash in the pan and immediately snubbed.

• nrvsNRG says:

its more common knowledge then insight.

• Runs With Foxes says:

You’re willfully ignoring the many, many MMOs that potter along happily with a few hundred thousand players, maybe much less, generating enough money to keep the developers operating. Your definition of ‘dustbin’ is absurd. Surely everyone has acknowledged by now that WoW was a phenomenon that came along at the right time (not much competition, broadband connections taking off) and is unlikely to ever be repeated, even by Blizzard itself.

Judging every other MMO by its ability to ‘dethrone’ WoW is plain stupid. By that standard EVE Online is a huge failure, but in reality it’s the best MMO on the market.

• Darth Fez says:

If your measure of an MMO is “Is it the WoW-killer? Yes / No” then you’re going to be disappointed for years and years to come. For my part, I can’t imagine that any game is going to make millions of people decide to leave WoW and invest their money in it, instead.

Disclaimer: I’m one of those crazy people who plays a game because he enjoys it, or it is sufficiently entertaining to pass the time, rather than because of any perceived rivalry to another game/studio/developer.

DeVadder says:

WoW will never be dethroned. It will (and already is) slowly die and be replaced by a big number of smaller MMOs.
      And while WoW obviously has a huge amount of content (having had many years and moneys to add it), it is obviously not without flaws. In fact it invented many of the flaws most new MMOs keep to re-do.
      But there are many stable and profitable MMOs out there and there will only be more.
      I do not know about the newer ones exactly, but it is quite obviously that Age of Conan and LOTRO make good money and of course it would be stupid to not mention Eve which is still growing slowly but steadily after 10 years. While also actually still looking like a game of our current time thanks to the devs replacing the full engine 1.5 times now.

• Time4Pizza says:

It is common knowledge, and that is the point. How come everytime we see some underdeveloped WoW clone come out the reviews heap praises upon them? How come the fact that it is a WoW clone is never mentioned? How come the summary doesn’t end with “yes, it is a new game and time was put into making it. But in the end we’ve seen this before and I doubt it will hold anyone’s attention very long.”

I haven’t played WoW in about five years, so in no way do I care if it is a better or worse game. Just pointing out the obvious on this game. It is a particularly grevious offender of the WoW clones, with almost no effort to differentiate itself. Someone has to say it, because the reviewer didn’t…

We’ve seen this one before, and it has been done better.

Bitter says:

There might be some weariness on the part of those who read your comment because we’ve heard this before. “You only think you enjoy this game. You won’t later, which means you don’t actually like it now and it’s no good.” And that’s followed by, “But this other game that isn’t out yet will be totally awesome and eclipse all others!”

I remember sitting in Rift and being told by such Very Knowledgeable People that it was terrible, and everyone was foolish for liking it, and it wouldn’t last, and just wait until Star Wars: The Old Republic came out! We’d see then what a real MMO is! Look at which game went free-to-play first.

We saw that about Guild Wars 2 as well – it would be the nirvana of MMOs, all other games were pointless. It’s not bad, certainly, but it’s no promised land.

So Wildstar might or might not be All That. But statistically, SOMETHING has to live up to the pre-release hype eventually! You keep trying, and I really do hope Wildstar is that good (I’m serious – it certainly does look good to me).

Meanwhile, people who are having fun with Neverwinter will have fun with Neverwinter. The knowledge that they might eventually tire of it doesn’t mean they can’t have fun long enough to get their money’s worth (from a free game, natch).

• Time4Pizza says:

Very true, I agree with all you said. One thing about this Neverwinter game though that I really despise is that they slapped the D&D title on it. I’ve played D&D, 2nd through 4th edition, and this game is nothing like D&D.

I suppose they have this foundry thing, and we will see how that works out. Personally though, I get nothing of a D&D feel from this game. To market something as a 4th edition D&D game, then create a WoW clone… I don’t know, that really rubbed me the wrong way. At least with SWTOR and GW2 you had sense that you were hopping into your typical cookie cutter MMO. I anxiously followed Neverwinter, hoping it would implement the D&D ruleset in some measure and invoke that tabletop feel. Then I started playing… and there was little if any D&D playstyle. They gave us a WoW clone, and slapped D&D marketing on it. QQ.

Martel says:

That is a bit disheartening as I’m playing a rogue right now. I’m leveling a lot slower than you, so maybe I’ll get lucky and they’ll have things ironed out by then.

I’m finding the game to be a blast so far, the combat is great. Hopefully that keeps up. I do have another guy that is leveling a lot slower that is my “group” character that i play with friends, so I suspect that’ll keep me going even if the rogue doesn’t get fixed for the endgame zones.

• Obc says:

The few stuff i read on the official forum says that in group/dungeon/raid situations the rogue rocks hardcore. Most of the times its the rogue doing most of the dmg on the boss while the rest is send out to take care of the adds coz he does the most Single Target DPS. (Wizards doing the most AoE DPS)

Though i am only lvl 22 so far on my Guardian Fighter, i am still seeing this in the 2nd Dungeon the game has to offer.

3. blcpl says:

I’ve had a pretty similar experience myself – got to level 60 with my Rogue, mostly via the (horribly broken at higher levels) PvP and, even with the full gear gotten via the Glory rewards, I can’t really manage much progress in the last couple solo areas. Everything does ridiculous amounts of damage, and every boss seems to be accompanied by endlessly respawning mobs – and the basic, non-store bought companions don’t really help much at all.
    I had lots of fun with how quick and enjoyable the game was overall at lower levels, but now I’m kinda stumped.

4. Phendron says:

I have a rogue as well, but I was brought in to the game by a group of friends and therefore have never had to solo. We are well coordinated and there’s very little to stop me from having my way with bosses.

We’re in mid 20′s now, so I guess I’ll see if our dynamic stands the test of higher levels.

5. Nickypoos says:

I was enjoying the game so much at the start, so much so i spent 50 euros or whatever on the guardian pack. 50 levels in and I’m so tired of it, every boss fight is the same (boss-adds-avoid red circles) but aggro for tank/healer is so broke it ends up being an episode of Benny Hill with either the Cleric or Mage running around with adds stuck to them as everyone else is too stupid to burn the them down when they pop. I realise it’s in beta but many other games have done the same and not felt like such a mess with the seemingly constant disconnects, random dumping from skirmish/dungeon queues and my personal favourite the missing divinty at will buttons that have; I’m guessing some Divine reason; vanished from my taskbar after a respec (and no you can’t drag and drop them, again for no reason those 3 buttons aren’t possible to drag back to the taskbar!). Still no response to those of us with this issue going on for over a week now. My advice, if you want to play it do it for the first 30 levels or so then leave it and come back when it’s actually playable.

6. aliksy says:

Meh. I don’t understand people. I found the game to be incredibly boring and disappointing in every way. Unresponsive combat, minimal choice in character development, no plot to speak of, boring “quests”. Played it a few times over a week, and it’s just not very good.

• Eldiran says:

You’re not alone. Except I wouldn’t necessarily call the combat unresponsive, it’s more just not very engaging.

It seems to me like a very high quality, modern, but typical MMO. Unfortunately ‘typical MMO’ = what you just described.

• ghiest says:

I wouldn’t say the Combat is unresponsive, therer are some other things that I would change (like not having to stand still to do some attacks).

But I will mirror allot of what others are saying, it was ok for a week or so but it got so repetitive and the community is so combattive and insulting I find it difficult to even bother logging in. And when i do log in I instantly have to set my chat channels to display combat only. Alas just like GW2 this could have easily been a single player game rather than a cash grab (although Neverwinter is far worse than GW2 on the cash shop side).

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Yeah, I guess MMO’s are just not my cup of tea!

7. Rokeshin says:

I’m playing a rogue too, but I’m not going to sweat the endgame much. I have a good balanced group to play with and I don’t really plan to solo much.

8. RProxyOnly says:

One man’s meat and all that, I suppose.

I had a go this simply because this site said it was good, and found it to be an abysmal shadow of what I know a D&D experience to be (not just pnp but crpg too), even the ‘land’ itself is sickeningly overused. It’s as if Faerun was only made up of one small piece of land. While I do acknowledge that Atari only have right to Neverwinter,it’s no real excuse for us to get bloody Neverwinter AGAIN!.. Atari just need to stop making games based on D&D, they didn’t support the franchises they had, why should we give a toss when they’re scrambling for cash and this is the only thing of notice they have to fall back on.

Glad you’re having a good time though… but it’s certainly not for everyone, or dare I say, even people familiar with D&D. It’s just too generic and samey, with nothing that ‘says’ D&D except the label they’ve stuck on, it could be set anywhere.

• Phendron says:

I’ve been playing pen and paper rpgs for about 12 years now, and I quite enjoy this game. There’s no doubt it’s a shameless mmo, but at least they have stats and powers to match 4E, and the foundry to at least give you a semblance of that planned campaign feel.

Personally I find it ludicrous to compare a game like this to a tabletop experience.

• RProxyOnly says:

Do you know what I find ludicrous? The fact that people can’t read a post properly then have the gall to start smacking their keyboard like a brain damaged monkey.

• nrvsNRG says:

thats a bit harsh innit?

• Phendron says:

“an abysmal shadow of what I know a D&D experience to be”

This is primarily what I took away from your rant. I’m not interested in whether the IP is a cash cow to be milked, I’m just confused that you would use the “D&D experience” as a rubric for game quality.

• aliksy says:

It has no D&D feats, a threadbare skill system, and very few powers. I’d call that a shadow of D&D.

• tyren says:

The thing is, this isn’t even an Atari game, they sold Cryptic and the rights to Neverwinter to Perfect World. (Or maybe they just included a license for that specific game with the sale of Cryptic, I’m not sure.)

Lacero says:

For what it’s worth I had no problems as a 60 rogue. I built my feats for perma stealth, and extra damage while stealthed, or as close as I could get.

The cycle is to stealth, do the hundred hand slap move while the stealth timer runs out, then fire the stealth refresh skill just before it goes and do it again.

Then I’ll use the AOE stun smoke bomb and do another hundred hand slap whilethe stealth bar is refilling. And then another stun attack where you jump and hit them, this is only aoe with a very small radius so it might not hit ll of them. If not you neeed to roll around a bit while the stealth bar refills and you can repeat the cycle.

If you keep getting hit and the stealth bar doesn’t refill naturally the refill skill will be up again and you can use that to get a partial cycle going.

It’s not perfect and takes some player skill to avoid things, but most fights become entirely unfair where I’m always stealthed and they never even try and hit me.

If it looks like a big one or something goes wrong I use the lurker daily before the first stealth, which double damage and gives free stealth as long as it lasts, and refills the stealth bar once it ends.

I’m trying to work out how to use gloaming strike to get actual perma stealth but I’m not sure it’s realistic except in groups with wizard aoe almost killing adds. the above is good enough for most things.

10. Mana_Garmr says:

“One is becoming notorious – the giant mother wolf who is ludicrously overpowered”

Is this the wolf at the end of the Icespire Peak quest chain? I had to fight her today.

Attempt 1: Tank companion dies when he runs further in than I intended to go and gets mobbed, I get run down and killed pretty quick.

Attempt 2: Managed to kill one of the smaller wolves first. Big wolf comes out into the small room before the room she spawns in does some weird leap-attack or something and falls down a chasm where she, evidently, dies. I wander off out of the dungeon having done maybe 10% damage to her.

I’m not sure whether to think it’s a good thing that the game took into account that the fall would be fatal, or a bad thing that a boss fight can end like that.

Funny though.

• Dukkha says:

I fought the motherwolf at icespire peak yesterday evening. First time I died with my TR outside a 5-person dungeon. It took me four tries to defeat her, but I was really happy that the game finally offered some challange to my TR who had felt unstoppable up to that point.

Really enjoying the game so far, I have a character of each class between level 25-51, and all of them are fun to play. First mmorpg since lotro that I’ve played this much.

yoggesothothe says:

Hey John, if you’re reading this, it’s Kyrie from the guild. I think once you hit late Hotenow or Whispering Caverns the game really wants you to run epic dungeons to gear up. I couldn’t really solo the instance missions there either on first reaching 60 with my guardian. Anyway, the point being, always looking for good DPS on epic dungeon runs, if you’re interested in running them. Good DPS is surprisingly hard to find, and so, so necessary.

Send me a mail if you want to try to organize a time (preferably during the dungeon events).

12. TWChristine says:

I’ve really noticed in the past week or so the amount of guildies on has dropped dramatically. I would say it could just be the time I was on (Canada), but I’ve been making an effort to level my crafting so that I can use the stuff I make, and have thus come on at all manner of hours.

I don’t really have anything else to add other than that..I just enjoyed listening to the guild banter. :)

• notenome says:

Personaly the amount of time that I´ve spent logged on has dipped greatly simply because I´m spending so much time in the foundry. Took about a week to get my first foundry quest out the door (Shameless plug: The House on Hubert Hill) and the second quest is prob going to take two or three times as long. Something about the foundry tickles the Dwarf Fortress part of my brain that has made the actual game much less appealing.

Also, are you the guildie who left his message as ´From the fabled land of Canadas´ ? Because if you are, you rock.

• TWChristine says:

I want to try your map actually.. I’ve heard you talk about it several times. And nope, I haven’t left any guild messages. I still rock though :P

13. Uthred says:

Maybe RPS could take a look at the games rather extortionate monetisation policy, excellently summarised here – http://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/1dry0g/neverwinters_f2p_model_what_you_need_to_know/ ($160 for an end game enchant is unjustifiable)

• unangbangkay says:

What is and isn’t “justifiable” is entirely up to personal thresholds. $160 for an endgame enchant sounds like a lot, but the Redditor’s math was flawed in assuming that players would pony up 100% of the cost to pay for those fusion success-boosters.

As ever the the trade is money vs. time, and everyone has a ratio they’ll find tolerable. It’s only “extortionate” if the facts were hidden, and they’re plain as day in-game for someone who’s paying attention.

The way this works out is that as the economy stabilizes (NW has far more farming opportunities for Astral Diamonds than STO or CO do for Dilithium/Questionite, the rough equivalent) and some players will opt for a mix of paying real money and time (via the exchange). I might be wrong on this one, but I believe you can sell Wards on the auction, so players with high farming skills can get away with just paying for those on the auction, just as skilled/rich EVE players buy PLEX with their earnings or Old Republic players auction off Cartel Market goodies.

darkChozo says:

Honestly, when I saw that on the forums, it didn’t strike me as exploitative so much as a reasonable equivalence between time and money spent. If something takes forever to obtain in-game, then it makes sense that it would also take a lot of money to obtain right away — it being cheaper would probably be more exploitative, if anything (though the AH and Zen-AD exchange makes that math a lot fuzzier). Probably helps that I don’t care at all about PvP, so I’d compare the enchants more to bonus gear in a proper RPG and less to gold ammo or whatever.

IMO, paying for respecs is far more problematic. I could see the sense behind a barrier to respeccing (enforces character persistence, is a bit more faithful to the D&D roots), but $6 or whatever is way, way too high. I’d be happier if there were an alternative (say, you can respec one power point + one feat point a day) and that the paid version was a shortcut. Or even make the paid version much cheaper (a dollar or so), so there’s still incentive to avoid unnecessary respeccing without making it so sillily expensive (seriously, a respec shouldn’t cost more than two character slots).

14. aircool says:

Your situation is to be expected as it is the first time you’ve reached the level cap. At this point, the levelling content becomes far too easy, but the endgame content proves difficult. Now the game is all about teaming up and getting your build perfect and the right gear to support it.

This can be a tiresome bore, as the endgame so often is. That doesn’t mean that you should quit. I found enough entertainment in RIFT and Champions Online (being the first few games in which I actually reached the level cap) to keep me coming back from time to time, but I’ve never experienced an MMO which can attract your constant attention after a few months of play.

15. ZephyrSB says:

I found both dwarf areas (Icepeak and the Volcano) to be far and away the weakest in the game. They’re ugly, boring and confusingly laid out, despite being a straight line. Not to mention a very long straight line when you have to ride all the way back from the final solo dungeon. Through terrain that’s still confusing. And littered with overly-strong unavoidable groups on the path that you have to fight through just to move around. (no, I’m not going to use my precious AD on return scrolls :p)

Thankfully, the bracketing drow areas are some of the better in the game, although I do have the advantage of being a Guardian Fighter built to simply not die, so encounters are more a matter of time rather than risk.

I’ve generally liked the solo content upto the end, barring those dwarven hiccups, it’s just a shame the current endgame is based totally around dungeon parties. I’d love to continue playing in the solo dungeons with epic level opponents. Kinda like the what the foundry is for, but I miss the bosses and general lootables.

16. defunct says:

I’ve been enjoying NWO, as well. I rolled a cleric. I can solo the areas, but I’m basically out of content at this point, too, at 60. I find many people asking for partners in the 52+ level areas, too, because it makes it manageable for them.

I have an extremely hard time of doing Foundry stuff at 60, because many are designed with multiple adds attacking at once. It seems to be the entire premise of the game, though, so I don’t fault them. I had been hoping the Foundry would be a fount of endless content, but no. I tried a remake of the Keep on the Borderlands, and got my bootie kicked hard, although I did manage to finish it solo. Another one (I don’t remember the name) I had about 20 adds chasing after me, and I had no where to run. Kiting was impossible. Eventually, I couldn’t even continue because an add aggro’d from the other side of a door I couldn’t open, because I was in combat. I had to leave, but even THAT was difficult, because I was stuck in combat!

I find some dungeons ridiculously hard, too. Or just very long and annoying. So I’ve been avoiding them, as well. I’ve actually gone back to my single player games at this point. I log in to do some crafting, or do it through the website, which I think is cool as heck, but that’s about all I’m doing with my cleric.

I started a guard, actually, too. It’s the only other class I could tolerate after playing the others for a bit. He’s only 27 at this point, though.

Oh, nice guild, too. People were really polite during the peak time for Europeans, but I’m actually an American, and found the evening crowd (our time) to be a little disappointing.

17. Whelp says:

God this game sucks. Class design is just BAD. Everything is simply designed to make you spend money.

It looks like the designers went all the way to implement every mechanic possible to make the game addictive in order to get weaker minded people to pay up, while leaving the actual game design and mechanics to a single, unpaid intern whose idea of MMO design comes from playing WoW once for a week in 2004. Their Chinese Overlords probably made them do it.

Think your TR is useless at 60? Try Guardian Fighter. Unless you have a very specific pure DPS build and awesome gear, forget soloing anything. Not to mention getting invited to groups.

Most groups run with 2 clerics, CWF, TR and CW anyway, since the tanking is massively broken in this game. Tanking skills and powers might as well not exist.

Then again, maybe the reason why your TR seems underwhelming is bad a spec. Have fun shelling out 20 bucks to respec. I’m done with this game.