SuperMegaFistbump: An Adventure Time Game!

By Craig Pearson on May 16th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Pow! This is exciting enough for me to shed all notions of adulthood. I just set fire to a pile of bills and have squeezed into some distressingly tight shorts. Join me? Adventure Time, the ridiculously good Cartoon Network show, will finally be turned into a PC game. Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON’T KNOW!, is a sequel to the handheld-only action platformer Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why’d You Steal Our Garbage?!. It’ll be a four-player co-op game, set deep in a Candy Kingdom dungeon.

It’s not the first time an Adventure Time game has landed on the PC, though. Show creator Pendleton Ward hosted an Adventure Time Game Jam that had over 100 entries, though all of those are distinctly non-canon and hastily made, which seems like the perfect way to capture Adventure Time’s madeupness. But back to this game, which so far only exists in this paragraph below:

In a completely new storyline and adventure and featuring the voices of the show’s most popular characters, fans will have to save the Candy Kingdom by exploring the mysteries surrounding a massive Secret Royal Dungeon deep below the Land of Ooo. Select from an assortment of fan-favorite characters from the show, including Finn, Jake, Marceline, Cinnamon Bun, and more, and team up with your friends in four-player co-operative multiplayer as the Adventure Time world comes to life.

Which doesn’t tell us much. I refuse to speculate, because I can never tell what the hell is going to happen in Adventure Time. But a show that’s hugely inspired by gaming should be able to come up with something interesting to do.

Can I get a Jake gif?

Yeah.

Here’s a exclusive peek at the soundtrack.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Bugamn says:

I have seen plenty of references to this show in the internet recently, but I haven’t watched anything. Am I losing anything good?

• grundus says:

Depends on your sense of humour but if it’s “Moderately Human” then yes, yes you are. Get a Netflix free trial, download Media Hint (assuming you’re not in the States already) for Chrome or Firefox and get watching.

• Punchbowled says:

My son is seven. At the prospect of an Adventure Time game he says: “This sounds good”. So. Any questions?

EDIT: Oh. Thought I’d clicked post, not reply. Never mind.

• Winged Nazgul says:

Yes, you really are.

I was in your spot once and decided to just sate my curiosity once and for all. Now I can’t get enough of Adventure Time and I can’t wait for each new episode to come out.

• Gap Gen says:

You can of course find all the episodes on various naughty buccaneer sites, as well as possibly some on YouTube/Vimeo. Plus they’re only 10 mins so easy to gorge on.

I guess the question is: Do I like fun? Or do I hate fun? Fun. Fun.

• ThTa says:

Almost certainly, they employ a ton of different writers (and as of the latest season: animators and directors), so it’s a really varied show. If you’re lucky, you’ll enjoy all of it (which I do), and if not, it’s really difficult for a sane human being to not enjoy at least some of it.

(So as an advice on top of that: do at least watch a few different episodes before you potentially write it off.)

• AlKaPwn says:

Something that is incredibly important that no one else has mentioned is that if you expect adventure time to be only care free silliness like Sponge Bob or other “kid’s” cartoons, then you will find yourself unexpectedly hit in the feels like a kick in the nuts, the show itself is light hearted and fun, but terrible dark things lurk in the corners of the show. I had only seen like 4 episodes and all of them were funny, and then I got hit with “I Remember You” and cried my eyes out.

• JFS says:

Since when is Spongebob carefree silliness for kids? Did you watch any of it? A lot of Spongebob is fucking psycho.

• Kitsunin says:

Yeah, but it never really gets serious. I’ve seen a lot of Spongebob and so far as I can remember, it occasionally gets incredibly, disturbingly weird, but never really sad.

• vivlo says:

i’ve never been hooked by Spongebob, maybe because it was too much sillyness without something dark luring in its depths… which Adventure Times have. Just look at an episode like All The Little People, waw, just WAW !
          I admit i did not try a lot spongebob, but everyone was saying it was instantly addicitng and overwhelming by its superbness, which i never understood ; but i totally ould understand someone saying this of Adventure Time.

• ProtoMan says:

Modern spongebob is a corpse that Nickelodean keeps taking to parties with sunglasses on, puppeting him so that he sips his drink and says bad puns and makes his hands into guns and says something stupid like “BA-BAM!” And Nickelodean thinks it’s a funny Seinfeld situation, while everyone else thinks it’s grotesque.

• Cloudiest Nights says:

I just about shed a few tears from reading that synopsis alone. I didn’t know that the show touched that far into the dark…

• RedViv says:

Oh, there are surprisingly adult things in there. Done in a way that kids can understand, but without talking down to them. Gender identity, relationships, senility, coming-out, understanding others… This show is just wonderful.

• Winged Nazgul says:

Yeah, that episode hit me hard in the feels gut too and I might have bawled like a babby a bit. On that topic, I present some pretty amazing cosplay:

Also, there better be some B-Mo in that game. Just saying…

2. amateurviking says:

Bacon pancaaaaaaaaake!

3. boe2 says:

Amazing how little information the article contains about the actual game.

“There will be a game”, ok thanks :/

4. darkChozo says:

From what I’ve heard, the 3DS game is actually pretty good, so, well, this is promising.

• RedViv says:

It’s a solid platforming action adventure, very much inspired by Legend of Zelda II.
      Expanding that to something akin to Castle Crashers seems totes rhomboid.

• Ansob says:

It’s also ridiculously short, and obviously aimed at younger players – which is fine, but obviously for the likes of us it’s more than a little unsatisfactory.

I really, really hope this is good, because Adventure Time is fantastic.

• KDR_11k says:

The main complaint I’ve read is that it’s too short.

5. Faldrath says:

I can almost hear the groaning of Youtube’s servers when that 10 hour video was uploaded.

• Gap Gen says:

I’m sure whatever optimisation code YouTube uses laughed heartily and stashed it with the other 10 hour videos.

6. The Dark One says:

I hope the developers institute some kind Valve-ish commentary system. And then invite John DiMaggio to riff in the background during the entire thing.

7. megazver says:

I have a feeling it’s going to be a beat-em-up.

• Gap Gen says:

It should really be an open-world adventure game where you can go off and find weird monsters to fight / problems to solve, or just dick about with your friends.

• ThTa says:

Or, you know, a dungeon crawler, as the “takes place in a dungeon” implies.

8. Gap Gen says:

SCHMOWZOW!

9. McDan says:

This is seriously mathematical news, I don’t have a DS or 3DS or whatever it was that the first game was on so missed out, but this I’ll definitely be hitting up. If you haven’t watched it you’re missing out one of the best tv shows in recent times, never mind that it is a cartoon, it’s for kids and adults. Go Watch! And thanks Craig!

10. Yosharian says:

Mathematical!

11. kingkongfive says:

A tweak.

12. Rad says:

Oh. My. Glob.

13. gmale9000 says:

This one is where it’s at:

14. JimboDeany says:

Oh my glob this is going to be amazing. I’m 29 and I still find this programme hilarious. I’m hoping the game is just more of the same!

15. Thunderkor says:

Oh my lumping glob! I foresee more father-son co-op goodness with my boy. I just hope Ricardio and Tree Trunks are in the midst somewhere, because they creep out my wife and I find that amusing.

16. uh20 says:

adventure time should be classified as adult humor alongside nearly every other kids show thats being made today.
    where went to things like good-o’l Spongebob, or even Chowder, which had more clean and friendly humor.
    its sort of like comparing family guy to simpsons.

the videogame just might turn out O.K. (like no other television video game seems to have managed lately) but the T.V. show associated is still as wierd as, well…

• Kitsunin says:

I don’t recall Adventure Time having anything inappropriate outside of subtext. I guess if you don’t want your kids to watch something that gets serious or involves minor romance like kissing, you might have a problem, but even the older shows (That were actually good) like Spongebob got just as or even more potentially disturbing, if you ask me.

• Ansob says:

Yeah, anyone who says older cartoons were “clean” clearly didn’t watch Ren & Stimpy or even the Rugrats.

• Chris D says:

Spongebob is an older show now? When the hell did that happen!

What’s the world coming to? Kids of today, no respect for their elders, going around reminding people of their own mortality and the grim march of time.

In my day we…ok we did that. But only to old people! You can’t do that to me!

• Kitsunin says:

Sorry, I only said Spongebob because he already did :9

How about I say replace that with Animaniacs and we call it a day?

• gotno says:

i’ve been lurking these comment threads for probably a couple years now (hi! i think you folks are great!), and i finally felt the need to register and say something.

i agree with Kitsunin here. it gets a little weird, but in all five seasons there’s never been anything but subtext on adult themes (although that ultra bizarro David O’Reilly ep was maybe a bit over the top). i’m thirty years old, and it’s probably my favorite tv show ever, but my two year old neice loves it too, and even though it gets weird, it never freaks her out. maybe i’d be a bad parent, but i don’t see any reason for any aged kid not to watch it.

• MadTinkerer says:

There is some occasional adult subtext, but one of the themes of the show seems to be deliberately filtering that sort of thing through a childlike perspective. For example: kissing girls on the lips(shock!), and especially kissing princesses, is considered one of the naughtiest things possible in that world.

There are numerous references to things that actually could be far naughtier, if the characters weren’t completely oblivious to such concepts. Since the world is completely devoid of actual adults who understand that kind of thing, there’s no one around to explain that this or that character that they are skirting the invisible, and to children, often arbitrary as heck, edge of “adult naughtiness”. Does the Ice King want to have sexual intercourse with any of the princesses? Of course not: he only wants to marry them. And after marriage there’s kissing or whatever. Something.

The whole series is written with that kind of mindset.

• ThTa says:

Er, I can think of one episode where every single one of those things (save for the IK thing maybe) is disputed (Burning Low). In it Finn (properly) kisses a princess (which nearly destroys the world but okay) and Jake talks to him about how hugging is “tier 1″, kissing is “tier 2″ and then walks him through some of the other tiers, when prompted about “tier 15″, Jake acts all shocked and forbids him from doing it. (The original storyboard also had “And then you’ll make it to tier nine! On that one just make sure you have a comfty place to sit in the next day. Cuz uh… You’ll need some time to reflect on what you did.”)

Jake ends up having impregnated his girlfriend just a few episodes later.

17. realitysconcierge says:

Man that first game really bummed me out though…

18. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Maybe we’ll finally see a new era of rainbow sparkles ushered into the grimbrown darkbads of gaming.

19. wodin says:

My daughter got me into this cartoon…superb oh and I’m 42 this year..

20. Jason Moyer says:

I really hate cartoons where the writing is more important than the animation. I guess I’m going to hate games too, since that’s the direction (writing is more important than gameplay) everyone wants them to go in, as well. To be fair to the Adventure Time guys, at least the show is usually funny unlike Family Guy or the last 20 seasons of the Simpsons or something.

• wodin says:

Don’t like family Guy or American Dad nor keen on South park…

Adventure Time, Amazing adventures of Gumball are my fav’s at the moment.

• JackShandy says:

But good animation and good writing help each other. There’s no moment when the developers are sitting around a table going “Well, here’s the scene – do we want the animation or the writing to be good?”

• RedViv says:

“To be fair” to them? Are you suggesting that Adventure Time is badly animated?

• TheBigBookOfTerror says:

Agreed. It’s not badly animated. It is drawn simplistically, and I like to think its a deliberate move to encourage creativity. It makes it easier for te audience to draw the characters at home.

• MadTinkerer says:

“I really hate cartoons where the writing is more important than the animation. I guess I’m going to hate games too, since that’s the direction (writing is more important than gameplay) everyone wants them to go in, as well.”

I have some FANTASTIC games to recommend to you, then:

Ultima IX
      Dragon Age 2 (first one had too much good writing)
      Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2
      Mass Effect 3 Unpatched (if possible, stick to the original ending)
      Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite (to be fair, actually good games IMHO, but you will completely miss the flaws!)
      All of Battlefield, Medal of Honor, and Call of Duty series.
      Every Madden game
      Duke Nukem Forever

21. Homercleese says:

Has anyone seen any of Bravest Warriors? It’s from the same guy, Pendleton Ward. Um, it’s pretty amazing.

Also I am 32 and feel an irresistible urge to start watching Adventure Time.