Turn Your Monitor Sideways: Raiden Legacy Out On PC

By John Walker on May 16th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Schmups have never been a key skill of mine, but not for want of trying. Well, not for want of trying at Xenon 2: Megablast on my Atari. Oh my goodness, the animations on that game remain wonderful.) So it is that I’m completely the wrong person to tell you that a collection of Seibu Kaihatsu’s Raiden games has just been released by Dot Emu.

The pack contains Raiden, Raiden Fighters, Raiden Fighters 2, and Raiden Fighters Jet, all of which were previously put out as an iOS/Android collection a couple of months back, and are now back on their ancestral home: the great, huffing, puffing home computer. (No, what? I’ve never heard of an “arcade”? We didn’t have such things in Guildford, thank you.) It’s currently €8 via Dot Emu’s site.

Here’s a trailer for them all, including all the freshly added new features:

And here’s Xenon 2: Megablast:

, , , .

Hodge says:

Ahh, Xenon 2. I still hum that theme music in the shower.

• Ross Angus says:

… where the water rains down like bullets.

• Memph says:

An all-time classic theme, as was the Bitmap Brothers’ way. Even without a sound chip the music beat playing with sound effects.

• secuda says:

Have always wonder why it looks so different compare to the first one?
      newer then less its a good game.

• brulleks says:

I’m similarly foxed by that. I remember playing the first Xenon on the spectrum, and watched the video expecting a stab of nostalgia, but it looks nothing like it. Oh well – to Youtube!

hermitek says:

I only recently found out that Xenon 2 theme is just a remix of Assault on Precinct 13 theme music.

• Antsy says:

Yeah it was the mighty Bomb The Bass’s Megablast.

Dunno if it was the first time a band had done game music but I seem to remember a massive Amiga Format article about the phenomenon while previewing Xenon 2.

• Samwise Gamgee says:

If I remember correctly it wasn’t written for the game but it was the first time a digitized music sample was used in a computer game

• Phasma Felis says:

Neuromancer did it the year before, with lyrics and everything. Granted, it was like a 30-second loop on the title screen (of a Devo track), with the in-game music being a chiptune version of same, and on the C64 at least it was hilariously scratchy and lo-fi, but Jesus, it was mindblowing at the time.

• Antsy says:

No the tune wasn’t written for the game but the Amiga Format article featured an interview with Bomb The Bass about the process of translating the tune into a game.

felisc says:

Alright, who else is going to spend the evening listening to john carpenter’s soundtracks now ?
    Also, this raiden legacy thing is quite tempting.

3. Vagrant says:

What, no Raiden Trad? That’s one of my all-time favorite shooters.

4. Snids says:

I want to, but it keeps falling over!

Also:

Atari?! *scoff*
    *pets nearby Amiga lovingly*
    No, I won’t let it go.

5. Michael Fogg says:

ALIBABALEEEE!!!

6. squareking says:

The original Raiden series is a bit long in the tooth, but the Fighters series is a literal and figurative blast. Not as manic/bullet-curtainy as your modern shooter, though the trademark snipers are there in droves. But learning how to chain the medals and uncovering all the little secrets is guaranteed fun if you’re open to the genre.

7. sabrage says:

Me gusta.

8. Dominic White says:

Xenon 2 is an unbelievably awful game with great music and cool art.

Also, the word is ‘shmup’, it’s an abbreviation of shoot-em-up, so I’m not sure where that errant C is coming from.

9. marsilainen says:

If you like these type games, try tyrian 2000 (free from GOG) or Raptor: Call of the Shadows. (GOG couple bucks)

Remember to go through dos setups for awesome music!

• Dreforian says:

Love both of those. Tyrian is especially similar to the first 4 minutes of xenon 2 I just watched.
      Mountain Kings, who made Raptor also went on to make DemonStar which is very similar to the Raiden games gameplay wise (not as graphically rich in my opinion, but clean).

• Ultra Superior says:

Raptor is AWESOME

welverin says:

GOG also has the Raiden Legacy collection, so a one stop shop if you will.

• Arona Daal says:

Tyrian has a opensource,crossplatform Version:

10. wererogue says:

Joke’s on you – one of my monitors is *already* turned sideways!
    Oh Visual Studio, you’re so much taller this way.

11. bVork says:

There are some weird issues with this collection. Selecting slave ships in RF doesn’t seem to work. The autofire is strange and busted at the default settings and messes up some of the more interesting weapons. The lives are locked at 5 per credit, which means it’s based on the overseas version and not the Japanese one – with no option to change it. The music sounds a lot nicer than MAME, but that’s about the only improvement. The inability to select slaves is the real deal-breaker IMO. They’re nigh essential for scoring. All legal arguments about emulation aside, you’re better off playing these in MAME (and best off playing the Xbox 360 port of the three Raiden Fighters games).

• Jason Moyer says:

From everything I’ve heard, the collection is actually using MAME. Which is why Raiden 2, which doesn’t work in MAME, isn’t included.

• bVork says:

Unless DotEmu is incredibly stupid, they’re not using MAME: that would violate MAME’s “no commercial use” clause. But I’m sure they’ve studied MAME while coding their own emulators. I agree that MAME’s lack of Raiden II and DX (due to unbroken encryption) is the reason why we don’t see them in this compilation. Well, that and DotEmu’s lack of ability or interest in coding a PlayStation emulator to make use of that system’s ports of the two games.

12. Ultra Superior says:

I feel you, John. I love shmups since childhood, though the only one I’ve ever finished was radiant and it was quite recently.

13. Corb says:

arcade? who has one? I thought those went the way of the dinosaurs and only existed in museums!

14. Spacewalk says:

I guess with the absence of Raiden 2 it means that nobody has cracked the emulation issues on that still.

15. 8bitbeard says:

Actually, I wouldn’t mind one of those monitors that you can lift up and rotate 90 degrees. It would be handy for a lot of things.

16. barney says:

Knock knock; writing police!

Oh my goodness, the animations on that game remain wonderful.)

You got so excited with the literary masterstroke of dripping faux-naïf nostalgia that you totally forgot you never actually opened any parentheses!

• The Random One says:

It’s an emoticon of a dazzled nostalgic smile, the eyes lost in the past.

17. lucky jim says:

Hm, I might get this just to say I have it, and then continue to use shmupmame. I’d be surprised if whatever emulation they’re using is as lagfree as that.

I’m also surprised they wouldn’t just add Raiden IV as part of the package. As I understand it, anything on a Taito Type X or X2 arcade is pretty much a PC game already, as that system runs Win XP Embedded. It should be ridiculously easy to repackage the game as a proper Windows app.

Also just bought a stand to be able to flip one of my monitors into portrait mode. It really is glorious for these kinds of games.