Will It Be Any Good? We’re Still In The DARK

By John Walker on May 16th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

It looks rather light to me. And purple.

Kalypso Media describe a vampire as “the ultimate killer”. Maybe I’m being picky, but I’d say the ultimate killer is one who doesn’t die if he sees the sunshine. Or if a cocktail stick pricks his chest. Or if his head is cut off. I mean, those are some pretty severe weaknesses. I’d argue “the ultimate killer” would be one who can go outside whatever the weather. But, DARK (presumably it’s shouted?) insists otherwise, and tries to prove it will a new trailer showing off your skills.

Kudos, I say, for any game that uses the word “obfuscation”, let alone has it as a skill. (Even if they do seem to be using the word entirely wrongly, it remains just as much of a pleasure to say out loud.)

It seems safe to say that his primary skill is eating necks.

Oh, will it be the Deus: The Masquerade Ex our naive desires wish for? Or the rolypoly action game the trailers make it out to be? We should find out on the last day of this month.

, , , .

1. baby snot says:

It looked crap before. Looks even worse now that it’s been cell shaded. I like using the word obfuscate but i never feel comfortable using it out loud.

2. greg_ritter says:

Looks awful.
    Also, is it a WoD game? Because skills are named clearly after the skills in WoD books.

3. Ansob says:

Even if they do seem to be using the word entirely wrongly

Well, no, they’re using it in the exact same sense as Vampire: the Masquerade uses it. Ditto Presence, so there’s quite a bit of an, er, “homage” going on here.

4. MarcP says:

Dude crouching behind a crate, “press A to cover” prompt, objective marker. That’s an unfortunate video thumbnail.

• greenbananas says:

Or perfect because it tells you everything you need to know about the game without having to watch the trailer.

5. Echidna says:

Why are they using the most mainstream disciplines. If they are using VtM as a reference (If not, they should) then why don’t they showcase obtenebration (Way better than obfuscation), thaumaturgy ways, necromancy. Even their auspex is boring. Right now Jensen is a superiour killer, let alone my tremere from bloodlines that could boil blood. And chimerstry, please, someone out there give me Ravnos.

6. povu says:

What’s being obfuscated is half the bloody screen with that big red circle.

7. tobecooper says:

Maybe it’s an acronym? Durable Atomic Renegade Kittens!
    Also, Dumb Angels Reek of Ketchup. But if they were going for a gamey title, it will surely be Dark Angry Revenge Killers.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

Durable Atomic Renegade Kittens

I think you just invented the next Facebook/iPhone/Android smash hit of a game and the according memes.

8. barney says:

You’re impressed by the mere use of the word obfuscation, to the extent that pronouncing it is exotic to you! But you still have enough of a hunch about it to feel it appeared to have been used ‘wrongly’ (as opposed to ‘incorrectly’, ‘mistakenly’, or ‘inappropriately’): and, being someone who picks up on unusual word usage, you must be doing so yourself here, suggesting there’s something morally or ethically dubious about its usage. But of course not; you had an intuitive notion as to its meaning, and picked the wrong words to express it. But what did you think it meant, I wonder, seeing as the masking or making unclear of something seems to be exactly what’s happening in the video?

The English language starring games journalists versus games writers — the tritest of sports, with RPS its arena!

• barney says:

PS: I’m an angry troll that just came up from under the bridge of a long meeting of people talking to fill space with no critical thought, and I took it out on the nearest piece of potential relief. Ignore me — I’m being a churlish, pedantic prat.

9. Hmm-Hmm. says:

The gameplay may or may not be all that, but that footage was positively cringeworthy.

10. DestructibleEnvironments says:

Uhm, have John Walker played vampire the masquerade bloodlines? I dunno why you mention Deus Ex when VTMB is deus ex with vampires. DARK looks like a sequel to VTMB. Let’s hope they can match the writing excellence of that one.

• Xzi says:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say no, neither the writing nor gameplay will be on par with VTM:B. This trailer was just god awful.

Has Kalypso ever made anything decent? They seem to mostly produce budget games. Or what appear to be budget games.

• Lagwolf says:

If that is what they are willing to show off, imagine how bad the rest of the game is?

• Wisq says:

They produced the entire Tropico series, I believe? Which is a big plus in my books. But yeah, I don’t recall them doing anything of note outside of that series.

• Rumpel says:

any street cred they may have gained, the blew away by killing jagged alliance with that atrocious back in action bullshit. burn i say. burn.

11. lord_strange says:

I share the general scepticism. Having loved VTM:B back in the day (although I never finished it, I got stuck in some house I could never find my way out of and got a bad dose of camera nausea, iirc) I would be all up for a good vampire game. But this doesn’t look like it’s going to be it. Deeply dull and formulaic looking gameplay, unappealing art style. I’m much more hopeful about the World of Darkness MMO that the EVE people are supposedly doing, but haven’t heard anything on that for a while.

• diamondmx says:

It looks like it’s slowly working on the back burner for them – I suspect they’re spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to really capture the WoD feel in an MMO. This brings me great hope in it being good if/when they ever manage to release it. But I also suspect it will be a while.

12. strangeloup says:

It doesn’t look very good, does it?

Also, they’ve pretty much ripped off Vampire: The Masquerade (and/or The Requiem) for their power names. Obfuscate and Dominate are powers in both versions that function more or less as shown in the video, and Presence was a VtM power that I can’t remember the equivalent of in VtR, if there is one. Even ‘vitae’ is a commonly used, slightly euphemistic term for blood, in VtM at least, and the Shadow Grip power briefly shown in the power wheel is probably going to be Obtenebration.

As massively derivative as it is, I’d be prepared to give it a shot when it inevitably drops below a tenner in a steam sale, probably within a month of release.

13. Soldancer says:

I think it’s weird to try to mainstream-ify something as generally weird as VtM, which this seems to obviously be doing. I love the idea of playing as a vampire, which is a woefully underused idea*. I guess I’ll still have to wait. :\

I think a super-hero type game like Infamous, Protoype, or Dishonored would work pretty well as a vampire game. It just seems they are trying to do more the Dishonored route, but failing.

*The two VtM games? Sort of Darkstalkers? And I guess you can count (lol) Blade games and Bloodrayne, though they are Dhampiri and not true vampires. Any I missed?

14. Wonkyth says:

I’m gonna go with the popular sentiment and say that it looks a little…coarse.
    On the matter of interesting words, I always thought DX:HR should have had a skill labelled Sycophant amongst the other social skills. ^_^

15. Bugamn says:

I feel that it looks like Alpha Protocol without dialogues.

16. ChiefOfBeef says:

Real vampires do not crouch behind cover. Real vampires do not take cover when they get shot at.

Vampires aren’t real, but I know a real vampire when I sees it and that ain’t one.

17. misterT0AST says:

I say it doesn’t look bad and it’s probably going to be a fun little action-stealth game, with bad AI and a ridiculous plot.
    Nothing outrageously horrible.
    I don’t mind the graphics.

18. diamondmx says:

I get that it’s an homage to V:tM, but do they really need to blatantly steal every discipline, name for name?

19. Sardukar says:

I’d be more impressed if they used, “obtenebration” in the trailer. Also because murdering people with shadow-tentacles is fun.

Now, hopefully someone else will buy and review this game so’s I don’t have to give into my constant WoD-vampirey need. If only we had such a gaming review site nearby.

20. Geen says:

…Wait, shouldn’t a vampire just turn into mist or a bat or something rather than hiding behind metal crates like goddamn Adam Jensen?

21. Phasma Felis says:

I like the part where he slowly tiptoes up behind a guy, gets spotted 30 feet out and targeted with a machine gun, so he spins around and…slowly tiptoes back the other way while bullets tear through his flesh.

I mean, I guess vampires can take that sort of thing pretty well, but it can’t be fun, can it? Put some pep in your step there, guy!

22. Iskariot says:

The change in visual appearance shocked me to be honest, but it could still be a reasonable game. I so much want a vampire game that I will keep my hopes up until the reviews come in.
    I want a vampire DLC for GTA V. I would pay the price of a full game for that.