A Zombie Is You: Ray’s The Dead Trailllllerrrr

By Craig Pearson on May 17th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Sometimes a pun appears that is so bad that it manages to elevate all other culture. I’ve tried and failed many times to create such a pun in my lab, and the many RPS comment threads are probably ground zero of several pun epidemics that have taken their toll on the world. It’s over. We failed. I’ve discovered a pun so grotesquely awful that even Simon Cowell’s TV shows and celebrity biographies with the word “Dream” in the title have just taken one step up on the culture-o-meter. Ray’s The Dead, a Pikmin-like strategy game about a zombie called Ray and his undead friends, has just made the world a better place.

It is pretty cute: driven by Thriller-like ’80s synths, powered by a lightbulb in his brain, you’ll play a newly risen undead Ray as he avenges his death. He’ll create an army as he wanders through town. It’s a sort of puzzle-stealth-action game where you’re re-enacting moments from zombie films from the zombie’s perspective. Ray is the central zombie general, turning his undead friends from the cemetery into stormtroopers and puzzle-solvers: every kill you make is a potential ally in your shambling army, and you can turn them into difference classes for further puzzle and attack options. You can even raise zombie pets.

If it sounds a bit like Stubbs the Zombie, then that’s because the developer Rag Tag Studios was co-founded by Stubbs developer Chris Cobb. If it sounds a bit like Pikmin, well let’s just go with it. Compare the two with this trailer.

It said at the end of the trailer there’s a Greenlight page, but it didn’t note that there’s also a Kickstarter.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. frightlever says:

Absolutely loved Stubbs. Short, sweet game.

This looks great, although the story in Stubbs was a bit better than boring old vengeance.

2. Beernut says:

I like the concept of the game and its art style. TB did a video of this game at PAX btw, if anyone wants to have a look at some more gameplay::

3. Nixitur says:

I’m dead set on keeping my eye on this game. It promises to be an amusing brainteaser.

4. Shadowcat says:

Looks shiny. I trust my quad-corpse CPU will be up to the task.

5. CrispinFister says:

Ah! Another zombie game, just what the gaming world needs. I love it when people think outside of the box and come up with interesting and unique ideas like making zombie games. It really gives me faith in the gaming world that people are so reliable and predictable that way.

Can’t think of an idea? Zombies. Can’t think of an interesting character? Zombies. Need a hand across the road there, old woman? You’re not a zombie so I hate you and you should die and become a zombie BECAUSE ZOMBIES.

• Beernut says:

I think the idea of making the player PLAY a zombie, turning humans into zombies and accumulate your own little zombie army in order to solve puzzles is different enough from the tried and true concept of putting you with a gun in the midst of zombie hordes to kill them, or just survive by running away.

6. mr.black says:

Ahh, I see the night of the punning thread has started!

7. RagtagChris says:

Thanks for all the kind comments! I think I love RPS readers. :)

Really glad people are excited about the game! Oh and some great puns up there, heh.

8. Lamb Chop says:

Fans of this sort of punnery, if you’re ever in America’s capital, check out the restaurant Ray’s the Steaks.

Comment on this story