Road Rage Turns Into Car Wars In Autoduel

By Craig Pearson on May 17th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

mmmm, blurry
I spent ten minutes walking around my flat in an attempt to make the word “carburetor” into a car-game pun. I failed. “Car-be-better” was so blindlingly ugly that I couldn’t face seeing it in big, bold letters on the front page of RPS, and “Car-berate-r” was just too surreal to go with. Still, I got a few opening sentences out of the struggle, and my fight with the English language mimics the struggle a mechanic would have when fixing a car in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Sound the segue klaxon and dive with me into some words about Pixelbionic’s newly announced end-of-the-world car-combat game, Autoduel. WaaaaaaaAAAAaaaaaa…

It’s currently a game that’s more famous for those that are working on it, with Pixelbionic grabbing Twisted Metal creator David Jaffe as the game’s Creative Advisor. What will he be advising on, you ask?

[Seque Klaxon reprise]

In a post-apocalyptic future, warriors drive to survive in their tricked-out, heavily armed vehicles scavenged from the blistered landscape, armed with a deadly array of lethal weaponry. Autoduel features team-based combat in a variety of open arenas from abandoned cities to dried-up riverbeds. Players choose from over twenty unique cars which are divided into three warring factions – the Ratters, the Scavengers and the Techies. The cars can all receive a wide variety of upgrades, from mechanical modifications to the drivetrain and suspension, to a broad array of powerful weapons and protective armor which can be bolted onto the vehicles. Additionally, players can extensively customize the paintwork and add decals in order to show their allegiance and express their unique style.

It’s actually been a while since a silly car combat game was attempted. There’s no mention of an MMO-part, just multiplayer, but I’d be surprised if this was made without that sort of permanence planned. I would quite like a game about driving across awesome landscapes with friends. Something like Fuel, but moreso.

I wonder if it has anything to do with this?

Now that’s a game, back when turning meant selecting one of six angles, and music had individual notes respectfully waiting for each other to finish before making their requisite noise.

, , , .

1. McDan says:

Oh Craig, you should really be putting puns out on automatic by now…

• Inverselaw says:

I just hope this game will have good AI. I love a well Auto-mated system.

• Craig Pearson says:

I had to save them up for the next post.

• McDan says:

You could have been firing them out with all cylinders… or is that too far now.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Webber you like it or not Del Auto know good carb puns to reach the Zenith of punning, Holley shit man, your stuck on idle. Solex just forget about this and you stick to getting rich with the the valve floatation and other such venturi otherwise you will just get the needle and choke!

Edit: Vacuum advance!

2. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

I loved that part of Car Wars where they escape the Car Destroyer and then blow up the Death Car.

3. Shinwaka says:

I would so work in the Spice Mines of Kessel for an outstanding remake of Autoduel.

4. ZIGS says:

Wasn’t there a car combat MMO that died in like a year? Can’t remember the name

• Craig Pearson says:

Auto Assault, but it wasn’t very good.

• Harlander says:

There was a small outfit that did a vaguely Car Wars-esque game, where the only bit you did in turn-based 3D was the races.

Can’t remember what it was called, though.

• wodin says:

Superb..there is or was talk of them making a Darkwind 2 going the Kickstarter route with offline campaign play etc..

• The Random One says:

Hey Craig, stop knowing stuff. Your only job here is to not know anything, and you’re making it really hard for us to be mean to you.

• Whosi says:

Well I’m one of the few that liked Auto Assault, but kudos on digging up Origin’s Autoduel, that was a great game and nice take on Steve Jackson’s Car Wars.

5. Corporate Dog says:

The vague description of this new game doesn’t sound very much like the world of Car Wars that I know (which featured a very mild post-apocalypse that the world had mostly recovered from). The original board game (as well as the original computer game) was perhaps more ‘Mad Max’ than ‘The Road Warrior’ in feel.

I’m also wondering why you’d pay for the rights to use IP, if you’re just going to use vague terms like Ratters, Scavengers, and Techies to describe your factions.

So I’m thinking that perhaps they AREN’T licensing the Steve Jackson IP (which would, in turn, put into question their usage of ‘Autoduel’ as a title).

6. surlyben says:

I doubt it’s directly related to the Autoduel game from the 80s. Apparently Steve Jackson Games let the trademark expire in 2005. (via this this thread on the gameat the sjgames forums…)

• Shuck says:

That explains it, though it’s kind of unfortunate. A proper new Car Wars/Autoduel game has been well overdue for quite a while now.

• Tacroy says:

Steve Jackson Games is gonna launch a Car Wars reboot Kickstarter campaign soonish; they just need to get closer to fulfilling the Ogre Kickstarter first.

7. Infinitron says:

Little known historical tidbit – for a brief period of time in the late 90s, a virtual reality Autoduel game was in development. Then they repurposed it into an MMO, and then they cancelled it.

8. wodin says:

Darkwind…closest to car wars out there…Superb racing turn based mechanic..

9. wodin says:

Steve Jackson should def look into doing a Car Wars game..top down turn based or WEGO..following the game rules as much as possible..design and build your own car..then bring in the biker gangs and the Mondos…

yeah I owned Car wars, Truck Stop and Sunday drivers…

10. Phasma Felis says:

Wow. So they just ripped off Steve Jackson’s name like it’s not even a thing? Fuck these guys, and fuck their game.

11. Michael Fogg says:

Told my girl I had to forget her
    Better play me some more Carmageddon

12. sinister agent says:

Berate a car?

13. Chizu says:

I do love a good car combat game. Too bad so many of them are not GOOD car combat games.
    Hope this one goes well. It’s been a while.

14. Invid says:

OMG finally! This is by far my favorite game from the 80′s PC era. There were tons of games from the 80′s I loved but this sat atop the heap. It’s been almost thirty years since I played this on my Commodore 64c.

• Phasma Felis says:

Shame, then, that it has no relation to the original and they just ripped off the name.

15. The_Great_Skratsby says:

I still love Interstate 76′ so I’m going to have to give this a look. Have to.