Road Rage Turns Into Car Wars In Autoduel

By Craig Pearson on May 17th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

mmmm, blurry
I spent ten minutes walking around my flat in an attempt to make the word “carburetor” into a car-game pun. I failed. “Car-be-better” was so blindlingly ugly that I couldn’t face seeing it in big, bold letters on the front page of RPS, and “Car-berate-r” was just too surreal to go with. Still, I got a few opening sentences out of the struggle, and my fight with the English language mimics the struggle a mechanic would have when fixing a car in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Sound the segue klaxon and dive with me into some words about Pixelbionic’s newly announced end-of-the-world car-combat game, Autoduel. WaaaaaaaAAAAaaaaaa…

It’s currently a game that’s more famous for those that are working on it, with Pixelbionic grabbing Twisted Metal creator David Jaffe as the game’s Creative Advisor. What will he be advising on, you ask?

[Seque Klaxon reprise]

In a post-apocalyptic future, warriors drive to survive in their tricked-out, heavily armed vehicles scavenged from the blistered landscape, armed with a deadly array of lethal weaponry. Autoduel features team-based combat in a variety of open arenas from abandoned cities to dried-up riverbeds. Players choose from over twenty unique cars which are divided into three warring factions – the Ratters, the Scavengers and the Techies. The cars can all receive a wide variety of upgrades, from mechanical modifications to the drivetrain and suspension, to a broad array of powerful weapons and protective armor which can be bolted onto the vehicles. Additionally, players can extensively customize the paintwork and add decals in order to show their allegiance and express their unique style.

It’s actually been a while since a silly car combat game was attempted. There’s no mention of an MMO-part, just multiplayer, but I’d be surprised if this was made without that sort of permanence planned. I would quite like a game about driving across awesome landscapes with friends. Something like Fuel, but moreso.

I wonder if it has anything to do with this?

Now that’s a game, back when turning meant selecting one of six angles, and music had individual notes respectfully waiting for each other to finish before making their requisite noise.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. McDan says:

Oh Craig, you should really be putting puns out on automatic by now…

2. Gap Gen says:

I loved that part of Car Wars where they escape the Car Destroyer and then blow up the Death Car.

3. Shinwaka says:

I would so work in the Spice Mines of Kessel for an outstanding remake of Autoduel.

4. ZIGS says:

Wasn’t there a car combat MMO that died in like a year? Can’t remember the name

5. Corporate Dog says:

The vague description of this new game doesn’t sound very much like the world of Car Wars that I know (which featured a very mild post-apocalypse that the world had mostly recovered from). The original board game (as well as the original computer game) was perhaps more ‘Mad Max’ than ‘The Road Warrior’ in feel.

I’m also wondering why you’d pay for the rights to use IP, if you’re just going to use vague terms like Ratters, Scavengers, and Techies to describe your factions.

So I’m thinking that perhaps they AREN’T licensing the Steve Jackson IP (which would, in turn, put into question their usage of ‘Autoduel’ as a title).

6. surlyben says:

I doubt it’s directly related to the Autoduel game from the 80s. Apparently Steve Jackson Games let the trademark expire in 2005. (via this this thread on the gameat the sjgames forums…)

• Shuck says:

That explains it, though it’s kind of unfortunate. A proper new Car Wars/Autoduel game has been well overdue for quite a while now.

• Tacroy says:

Steve Jackson Games is gonna launch a Car Wars reboot Kickstarter campaign soonish; they just need to get closer to fulfilling the Ogre Kickstarter first.

7. Infinitron says:

Little known historical tidbit – for a brief period of time in the late 90s, a virtual reality Autoduel game was in development. Then they repurposed it into an MMO, and then they cancelled it.

8. wodin says:

Darkwind…closest to car wars out there…Superb racing turn based mechanic..

9. wodin says:

Steve Jackson should def look into doing a Car Wars game..top down turn based or WEGO..following the game rules as much as possible..design and build your own car..then bring in the biker gangs and the Mondos…

yeah I owned Car wars, Truck Stop and Sunday drivers…

10. Phasma Felis says:

Wow. So they just ripped off Steve Jackson’s name like it’s not even a thing? Fuck these guys, and fuck their game.

11. Michael Fogg says:

Told my girl I had to forget her
    Better play me some more Carmageddon

12. Chizu says:

I do love a good car combat game. Too bad so many of them are not GOOD car combat games.
    Hope this one goes well. It’s been a while.

13. Invid says:

OMG finally! This is by far my favorite game from the 80′s PC era. There were tons of games from the 80′s I loved but this sat atop the heap. It’s been almost thirty years since I played this on my Commodore 64c.

14. The_Great_Skratsby says:

I still love Interstate 76′ so I’m going to have to give this a look. Have to.

Comment on this story