Throw Me A Clone: The Swapper Releasing This Month

By Nathan Grayson on May 17th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

'Dad, where do babies come from?' 'Guns.'

If I could clone myself infinitely at will, I’d probably just spend all my time meticulously arranging dramatic horror movie reveal moments with some unsuspecting stranger realizing that everyone in a town is exactly the same. Bartenders, businessmen, old ladies hobbling across the street – you name it. So it’s probably a good thing I didn’t make The Swapper, because we’re instead getting a game of brain/quantum particle entangling puzzles and ruminations on the nature of the human soul courtesy of Penumbra’s Tom Jubert. It looks utterly fascinating, and every in-game object’s apparently handmade. Oh how I long for it, in the same way wannabe dystopian overlords long for soulless clone-based organ farms. Fortunately, the long and short of the situation is that my period of longing will actually be pretty short. Turns out, The Swapper is coming to Steam in just two weeks.

The atmosphere seems exceedingly desolate and secluded, an otherworldly cavern of echoes and reflections. Guess that’s just how it goes when you’re forced to be all alone with yourself – and quite literally, at that. I suppose it’s true what they say: infinity really is the loneliest number.

For those in need of a refresher, here’s what The Swapper’s all about:

“The Swapper is an atmospheric puzzle platformer set in the furthest reaches of space. Players wield an experimental device able to clone the user and swap control between them. Dropped into a character and world as mysterious as the workings of the device itself, The Swapper is a game of exploration of a very personal nature.”

It’s coming out on May 30th, which is so close that you’ll probably still be alive by then. If that’s not something to be excited about, I don’t know what is. The game, I mean. Life is… you know. It’s whatever.

, , .

1. Jams O'Donnell says:

What lovely graphics — I love this kind of 2.5D presentation. It does however make me lament that the excellent Shadow Complex never made it to PC.

2. Crosmando says:

Is it going to be on GOG too? This is important.

3. killingbutterflies says:

Looks great, that. Shocking name though.

4. TJ says:

We’re hoping to release on other storefronts at the same time, or shortly after, the Steam release. More details as they’re confirmed.

5. Nathan_G says:

Moody as fuck, looks badass.
    The sound design seems pretty tight, who’s done that Tom?

6. TJ says:

Sound and music is awesome – it’s taking the same sorta found objects and everyday materials motif as the art – ambient alien soundscapes constructed out of household appliances (and some instruments).

Designer is http://carlocastellano.cc/

There’s a blog going up about the sound design shortly, and a current post from me talking about the narrative design, over at the facepalm games blog: http://facepalmgames.com/

7. Tssha says:

Sadly, I will be flying to Vietnam when this game comes out.

…does it work on laptops?

• o_h says:

Hi Tssha, The Swapper dev here! I’ve mostly used a HP Pavilion DV7 to develop the game. It’s running at smooth 60fps most of the time. Gaming laptops are ok but don’t expect it to run on anything with an Intel GPU!

• justicarphaeton says:

Will this be available on Mac, and will there be a non-Steam/DRM-free version available for purchase somewhere? This game looks absolutely incredible and looks like it truly captures the essence of classic 70′s sci fi. I’m really looking forward to it!

• TJ says:

It will be available for Mac, on or shortly after release. It will also be available DRM free from non-Steam stores around the same time, details to be confirmed.