Reus And Renaissance Heroes Are Things You Can Play

By Nathan Grayson on May 18th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

I think they missed a big opportunity in choosing not to call the game's resources 'Reus Pieces'.

Hey, kid. Yeah, I’m talkin’ to you. You wanna buy some- oh jeez, shush! Police and/or an out-of-touch politician! OK, phew. They’ve passed now. Anyway, might I interest you in some videogames? Oh, don’t worry: they’re real. Fresh out of the oven too, if you know what I mean. Heh. What’ve I got? You’re in luck today, kid. Yes indeed. Ever wonder what it’d feel like to be god - and also a planet, and also some manner of crab giant? Well then, Reus might just float your boat, if you know what I mean. Heh. No good? Brain too rotten from your “Call of Honorfield” murder machines? Hm, then how about Renaissance Heroes? It’s got all of the guns and none of the plausibility! Go to beauteous portions of 16th century Renaissance Europe and then blow them up! That sort of thing. Oh, you want trailers? Mr high-roller, huh? Fine, fine. Go past the break and they’re all yours. If you know what I mean. Heh.

Both are out now, and available for purchase – or lack thereof. Reus will run you $9.99 on just about every platform under the sun – most of which will net you Steam keys. If you’re still on the fence, Alec wrote up some impressions… in which he admitted to still being on the fence. Well, at least now you’ll be informed about it.

Renaissance Heroes, meanwhile, also just arrived on Steam, but it’s clad in the edgy leather jacket of the business world: free-to-play. It looks like a fast-paced old-school FPS from Quake’s mold, but I haven’t actually played it, so I can’t say how it handles. Has anybody else tried it out yet?

So yes, games! You can play them! DO IT. YEAH.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Tomac says:

I tried Renaissance Heroes last night and it is a bit of a weird one imo.

I didn’t really like the way they handle sprinting in the game. Basically when you go into sprint mode you pull out a melee weapon. With the melee weapon you can either whack people with it with M1 or throw grenades with M2. You can’t throw grenades or melee unless you’re sprinting and you can’t use your guns while sprinting, pulling out your gun will cancel sprinting.

It just seems needlessly complicated, i mean we have all of these buttons on the keyboard to make use of. I’d rather the game just moved at sprinting speed all the time, cause the normal movement speed feels slow, and then just let us switch between melee, gun 1, gun 2 and grenades.

Also, at least in the few matches that i played, the teams seemed to basically stay on their side of the map, camping the health and armor spawns, chucking grenades down the hallways and taking pot shots with the hitscan crossbow weapon. Wasn’t the most compelling of tactics.

I’m still looking forward to RotT for some modern fast paced arena fps action.

• Elevory says:

I’m actually quite fond of the sprinting/melee mechanism. For whatever reason, it comes across as intuitive to my mind. What bothers me, however, are the confoundingly powerful power-ups. I’m not sure if it’s a P2W thing, but there are players who—usually near the end of the round—trot around with glowing, dark wings, unable to receive any damage, killing the enemy team in their spawn for a minute or longer.

I mean, what the hell is that? Good game, otherwise.

2. cloudnein says:

Oh hey, every platform under the sun! You can have your Model-T in any color, as long as it’s PC. You mean “every distribution channel under the sun.”

3. staberas says:

Thanks to steam trading cards i managed to sell all my cards and invites early and bought reus.I have spend nearly 5 hours and i can say it’s addicting for something nearly repeatitive….

4. yobokkie says:

Hmmm I have played enough RH to get to level 5 so far and I’m still deciding what to make of it. On one hand it is great piece of twitch FPS gaming. But on the other hand the other mechanics are a bit strange, like the weapons only lasting for a few days unless you spend a lot of in-game money (or real money naturally). So it’s kind of obvious that they’re pushing the paid packages quite heavily, but at the same time I did have a lot of fun just playing with what was on offer for free. Felt like playing a deathmatch from one of the golden oldies. Good old brainless run-around-like-a-headless-chicken sort of thing. I doubt it’ll ever be anyones favourite game in the whole world but it’s “mostly harmless”.

5. OpT1mUs says:

Reus is great. Go play it. I bought on a whim, expecting it be shallow game, but I was really surprised at emergent complexity of it all, really fun.

6. becomingjenn says:

I’d been waiting for this game to come out since you all had previewed it before. Let me say I was not disappointed. For 8.99 US I’ve already had a delightful 2 hours thus far and there is still so much more. The developers are on the forums and taking feedback. Makes me appreciate the indie games all the more. I do not regret my purchase and I do thank RPS for the info on such a great little game.

I had more fun with the game that I did with Settlers 7 that had all the bells and whistles (and frustrated me to the point of never, EVER wanting to buy another Ubisoft title if I had to deal with Ubiplay). The game is intuitive and pretty easy to play. It’s also a different take on many of the strategy/builders/civilization games. It’s a fun game, but also remember that the game is 362 MB and so you will not get a game quite as complex as some of the AAA titles that have base games of over 5GB and multiple expansions. But there is something refreshing in not needing a huge wiki just to understand a game.

7. Shadowcat says:

Was it just me, or was there no first-person footage at all in that trailer for what is supposedly a first-person shooter? I saw the “top notch fps gameplay” quote appear at the end, and thought “WTF?”. Weird way to advertise, if you ask me.

8. Slinkyboy says:

Reus was a big waste of money and time spent creating it.

• David Bliff says:

What don’t you like? It’s not the easiest thing to learn but I think the game is incredibly compelling.

• mechabuddha says:

A common complaint I’m hearing is that the game is repetitive and dull, and some are annoyed that the only thing to do is hunt achievements. I don’t think they realize that the more achievements you get, the more depth is opened as new projects become available. I also think they’re just playing free play and expecting the whole game to open from the get go. Personally, I’m loving it the era sessions, and am finding the achievements varied enough to not make the game repetitive. I do kind of wish free play had zero limitations, but I’m not too upset with that.

• Dave Mongoose says:

I think the mix of standard and ‘specialised’ achievements help keep things interesting – things like ’600 prosperity’ are easy to get just playing an era normally, then you can go back and aim for quirky ones like Fishing Village (3 ocean tiles within village boundaries) or Aristocracy (have a successful village that only uses minerals and animals).

9. David Bliff says:

Confirmed: Reus is amazing. It’s definitely deeper and a little less approachable than other recent god games like From Dust. But it really is more open to really different games once you learn the mechanics. I did not expect this much depth or complexity, but I’ve already sunk in at least 3 or 4 hours and am not stopping anytime soon.