The RPS Bargain Bucket: Hit Back

By Lewie Procter on May 18th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Don’t go scavenging all over the internet to find the best deals, I’m hear with my usual round of the best deals for you to conveniently consider at your leisure. There’s some cracking deals this week, so you’ll not want to miss out. Of course you can rely on SavyGamer.co.uk throughout the week for all your discounted gaming needs.

Sleeping Dogs – £4.99/€6.24/$6.24
Registers on Steam.
Solid Hong Kong open world drive/shoot/punch ‘em up, where you’re a goodie pretending to be a baddie. And undercover cop. Here’s wot Alec made of this back at release:

Who was I? An undercover cop, infiltrating the Triad and bending both sides’ rules in the process. An unfaithful lover. A martial artist. A race expert. A crack shot with a pistol. A man caught between the lure of the law and the lure of adopted family that just so happens to also be a crime cartel. The plot is all over the place, repeatedly offering compelling setups in terms of both grey-area morality and supporting characters but tending to default to catch’n’kill, which coupled with your unremarked-upon freedom to kill whosoever you wish when bombing around between mission, entirely robs the game of any sense of being caught on the horns of an overarching dilemma.

More here.

Deadlight, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Iron Brigade, Mark of the Ninja & Toy Soldiers – £6.56
Here’s a bumper pack of games from indie studios, published by Microsoft. I’ve not played Deadlight or Toy Soldiers, but I’d say Mark of the Ninja, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet & Iron Brigade are all easily worth the price of admission. Mark of the Ninja is one of the most fun stealth games I’ve played in a while, giving you a fair bit of scope of comical hyper-violent mischief. The level designs aren’t quite enough of a sandbox for my liking, and it’s a shame that it’s not quite designed around you fully ghosting through the game, you are forced into direct combat a few times. But it’s still brilliant. Here’s RPS thoughts on Mark Of The Ninja, Deadlight and Iron Brigade.

Batman: Arkham Asylum [Goatee Edition] & Batman: Arkham City [Goatee Edition], PC – £7.48/€8.85/$11.49
Both of the excellent Arkham games for not very much money at all. This pack includes all the DLC and trimmings too. I still think the first game is the tighter of the two. As Arkham City scaled up the environment to give you almost a city to explore, it became a little flabby. The Batman Simulator meets Metroid formula of Arkham Asylum worked a little better for me than Arkham City. They’re both great though, and I have high hopes for the upcoming third entry in the series, although I worry whether seemingly making it a biennial series will impact the quality. RPS Arkham Asylum thoughts here, and Arkham City thoughts here.

fren-ze – £2.03
Leave Home – £2.03
qrth-phyl – £2.03
Three games from the hugely talented Hermit Games, all at throwaway prices. These have all got Hermit Games’ trademark neon infused artsyle, with bright colours on top of a dark background, and an incredibly stylish use of minimalist compontents. fren-ze & Leave Home are vertical and horizontal scrolling shmups respectively, whereas qrth-phyl is a contemporary reimagining of Snake, with loads of graphics. These are all excellent, and discounted for a limited time, so snap them up whilst they’re cheap.

Deal of the week
Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition – £4.87/€5.77/$7.49

Dark Souls for a fiver. Bit of a stellar deal. Here’s Adam explaining why:
For all the game’s complexity, if you understand that it is better to dodge an attack rather than be struck by it, and that heavier armour and weapons will make leaping and dodging more difficult, then you will make progress, slow but sure. As for the more complex systems at work, they make sense in time and the weirdness of the game always seems an intentional part of the murky lens through which it is viewed rather than evidence of poor documentation. It dares the player to explore and to learn and it will more quickly bite off his/her hand than hold it. That feels liberating. You’re in a fight from the start, not a dance, and that means it’s OK to hit back however you can. Once the tutorial is complete (and even that will probably kill you) the world is open and there are no warnings and no signposts. Go, see, suffer.

Suffer indeed. More here.

Also of note:
And Yet It Moves, Eufloria, Spirits & World of Goo – Pay What You Want (In Bitcoins)
Borderlands 2 – £8.16. Apply coupon “GMG20-LLASD-D8WBQ”. Registers on Steam.
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare – £4.22. Apply coupon “GMG20-LLASD-D8WBQ”. Registers on Steam.
Quantum Conundrum – £2.37. Registers on Steam.
Dead Island: Riptide – £12.99
Metro: Last Light – £21.99. Registers on Steam.
Grid 2 – £17.99. Registers on Steam.
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee – 48p/€0.57/$0.74. This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus – 48p/€0.57/$0.74. This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee – £1.07/€1.26/$1.64. This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent – £1.95/€2.30/$2.99. This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
Bioshock, Bioshock 2 & Spec Ops: The Line – £6.50/€7.69/$9.99. Registers on Steam. This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
Binary Domain, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit & Viking: Battle for Asgard – £6.50/€7.69/$9.99. Registers on Steam. This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition & Dragon Age 2 – £6.50/€7.69/$9.99. Registers on Origin. This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
Dead Space & Dead Space 2 – £5.20/€6.15/$7.99. Registers on Origin. This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
Battlefield 3 – £6.50/€7.69/$9.99. Registers on Origin. This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
Mass Effect – £3.25/€3.84/$4.99. Registers on Origin. This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
Mass Effect 2 – £3.25/€3.84/$4.99. Registers on Origin. This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
Mass Effect 3 – £3.90/€4.61/$5.99. Registers on Origin. This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.

For more of that cheapness you crave, hit up SavyGamer.co.uk.

1. rapchee says:

are you really “hear”? :3

2. Yosharian says:

Motherfucking Metro:LL for 22 quid! Bastard I just paid 31 quid for that game a few days ago! I suppose it isn’t the pre-order edition so I can take solace in that.

Has anyone played Grid 2? Is it neato? I remember seeing destruction derby videos of the original and thinking it looked pretty fun.

edit: fuck borderlands 2.

• Bostec says:

Hey at least you can play “The Way Its Meant To Be Played” and Grid 2 isn’t out until the end of May but I am looking forward to it.

• Revolving Ocelot says:

Just last week you said you had zero interest in Borderlands 2. May I ask what’s prompted the change of mind?

• Yosharian says:

Schizophrenia? Boredom? Dunno.

edit: yeah watching a few quick gameplay videos of B2 has reminded me why I am not interested in this game

Thurgret says:

The £21 Metro: Last Light is, as far as I know, the pre-order edition — at least if “limited edition” is what they named the pre-order version.

• Yosharian says:

Well, shit.

• Chorltonwheelie says:

It is. Post-pre-order limited edition for £21.99.
        I bought it yesterday, dead easy.
        Get it while it’s hot

3. Ianuarius says:

Shipping steam keys is too expensive to outside of US.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Have people made fictional US billing adress’? I though part of the validation process was matching the Card No. to the address!

Does seem they get the cheap deal mind!

Malibu Stacey says:

I’ve used it a few times, once for that very same deal posted 2nd in today’s bucket the first time it was available & I live in the UK.
        I think you might get refused depending on your card issuer but it’s worked fine for me with Santander & First Direct.

• Ansob says:

Exceptionally, for Amazon digital game sales, Amazon doesn’t bother to match the billing address you list for the card to the actual card. As far as I know it’s the only time they do this.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

I put my address as Facebook’s and used to work, but a few weeks ago they stopped accepting the cards. I’m in Portugal, so YMMV

4. MOKKA says:

Buy Dark Souls!

• rei says:

Okay!

• MOKKA says:

Well that was suprisingly easy.

• rei says:

I may have been favourably predisposed already. Still, your commanding presence certainly was a factor.

I just hope I don’t have trouble with GFWL, although I almost certainly will. I still haven’t played Bioshock 2 thanks to GFWL crashing it upon launch.

• Fiyenyaa says:

I just reinstalled windows recently, and having played 30 or so hours of Dark Souls the past couple of weeks I was itching to get back into it. It now refuses to launch since it updated Games for Windows Live after I started it the first time. The best thing is I cannot for the life of me remember how I fixed it the first time around. Woe!

• roninnico says:

Infuriatingly its already sold out.

I didn’t have time to get it yesterday, but i thought a few hours wouldn’t make a difference. I was a fool…

• bVork says:

The Amazon sale lasts to the end of the month and Dark Souls is one of the games that is supposed to be discounted for the whole duration. Keep checking back, I’m sure they’ll restock their keys before the sale ends.

• derbefrier says:

yes buy darksouls I need more noobs to invade :D

also dont forget the mods :

DSfix to fix the resolution http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfixand

DSCfix so that summoning your buddies for jolly cooperation a hell of a lot faster (it gives your friends list priority or something)http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/334//?

5. TODD says:

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is 50% off on Amazon (was 75% yesterday when I picked it up). It has proven to be a really fun game to play online with friends, very much in the casual style of Mario Kart with its ridiculous random power ups and race-winning weaponry.

$25 for BF3 premium, which includes all 20 new maps and the accompanying game modes (the most recent DLC added motorcycles and capture the flag!), is also a great deal.

And I shouldn’t even have to mention that a Psychonauts Steam key for $1 through Humble Bundle is probably the best bang for your buck you’ll get this year.

6. Liudeius says:

I was planning to avoid purchasing games for a while, but Dark Souls for $8? I’ve been waiting for a good sale on that since it released (I already own the PS3 version, but wanted to buy the PC version for the DLC).

This is the second time though that I’ve noticed a Amazon US only deal is listed in pounds (and nothing else).
    That amount probably isn’t even accurate because I doubt it takes conversion charges into account.
    If you’re going to list it in only one currency, wouldn’t US dollars be more logical?

• trjp says:

It’s showing 3 currencies for me – but as Lewie is in the UK (this is mostly a UK-based site) it’s not hugely surprising he’d focus on £s

As for exchange rates and fees etc. – I’d hope people reading this would already understand things like that, explaining them in every deal would be tiresome for everyone involved.

In particular, going through the whole “how to buy from Amazon US” thing would be stultifying…

• Liudeius says:

It’s the Mark of the Ninja bundle which is only in pounds.
        I realize that RPS is at least partially in the UK, I just find it odd that every item has pounds, euros, and dollars EXCEPT for the only which can ONLY be purchased in dollars (which is listed in pounds).

7. lamiamistral says:

Minor correction: the copy of Mass Effect 1 on Amazon does NOT activate on Origin and states as much on the page.

• Entalyan says:

I’m an idiot, should have read the comments section, the entirety of the Amazon page and/or the Origin FAQ: Mass Effect does not register on Origin. And I just bought it to move all my Mass Effect stuff to the service, so I wouldn’t lose it. Which happened 2x to my original Mass Effect box already.

Guess I’ll keep track of it through Amazon now. Or just buy it again through Origin.

8. qweqwer2 says:

google

• Ross Angus says:

Thanks for the tip.

• fish99 says:

A lot of digital sales don’t show up on google shopping.

• Mctittles says:

More and more I find when I search google for something I end up on a forum post where someone replies telling them to search google.

With enough idiots doing this google will turn into nothing more than endless recursion.

9. JeepBarnett says:

Also, Counter-Strike: GO is doing a ‘free weekend’ and half off till Monday:

10. cptgone says:

i think i spot a typo here:
    “[...] robs the game of any sense of being caught on the horns of an overarching dilemma”
    surely, Alec meant “lama” instead of “dilemma”? no wait, lamas have no horns either. maybe it should read “being caught by a horny lama”?

• malkav11 says:

No, that’s not an error. That’s what the expression is. “horns of a dilemma”

• cptgone says:

Haha, thanks for letting me know! you anglophones and your weird idioms ;)

11. Fanbuoy says:

Has anybody tried simplycdkeys? Is it kosher?

• mwoody says:

Nope, absolutely dripping with sizzling pork fat.

Matchstick says:

As a more serious response, I ordered Metro:LL from SimplyCD last night and it worked fine once I noticed there was a confirmation email sent to my PayPal address that needed a response before they would send the key.

After I did that the key turned up in 30 seconds and worked fine. Interestingly despite not being mentioned on the page, the key came with the Pre-order bonus digital comic and Ranger DLC.

Thurgret says:

I purchased Last Light from it, and it works, if that counts. It took a while to realise that they sent an email to the address I use for PayPal for verification– different from the one I registered on their site with– and it ended up in the spam inbox there. Can’t say I’d want to hand over credit card details to these people, or whoever runs their payment system, so I just have to be content with jumping through PayPal’s hoops.

• Alk15 says:

Simplycdkeys is the same company as simplygames. Probably the best place to buy games from, been using them for years. I got Metro from them and had the key instantly, paid by card and not PayPal. You have to do the extra e-mail bit as PayPal requires more security checks.

But they are completely legit, just a smaller company like Grainger or 365games.

strangeloup says:

My bf picked up their Bioshock Infinite deal (£20, but this was a few days ago, so it might not be available anymore) and had absolutely no problems with it. They seem to be pretty legit.

12. pakoito says:

Craigh, you have no excuse now.

Earl-Grey says:

Oh Craig already owns Dark Souls, the swine. He just brazenly refuses to listen to sense.
      …but we still love him, bless him.

RobF says:

The Hermit Games stuff is truly excellent. If you’ve not grabbed them elsewhere before, do grab ‘em whilst they’re cheap,

Bugamn says:

Anyone got any thoughts on this http://www.indieroyale.com/ ?

Personally I was not interested, but it’s not every day that I see some games about ironclads.

RobF says:

It’s not a great selection. Alien Shooter 2 is a once reasonably fun shoot-everything-with-upgrades game ten years ago getting yet another needless expansion/sequel that fails to make it any more fun or even look much better than it did in 2003.

Droplitz is merely OK as that sort of puzzley-nonpuzzle thing goes. You can do a lot better.

Plain Sight is OK but it’s been dead for years and a dead multiplayer game isn’t really much use to anyone. I never quite felt the love for the movement RPS did but I can see where the appeal lies.

Burn Zombie Burn is below average as twin-stick shootybang games goes. Serviceable is a good word for it.

I’ve not ducked in for the other three but I believe Ironclads is supposed to be barely scraping above guff, I’d take a second opinion on that rather than mine though just in case.

Bugamn says:

I was expecting something like this. I just wanted to know if the ironclad games are worth by themselves, but I guess with that company they probably aren’t.

strangeloup says:

Reply fail, sorry

15. Moraven says:

X-Com, Civ 5, Civ 4 for $20

Lots of other good deals on Amazon.

16. TychoCelchuuu says:

qrth-phyl is a really great 3d snake game. I can highly recommend it.

• Shadowcat says:

Yes, qrth-phyl is very nice. Unpronounceable, but it plays beautifully, and has a good number of tricks up its sleeve. It’s a snake game, but really quite different to the others I’ve played. Definitely worth a look.

17. Radiant says:

Sleeping dogs is a lot of fun.
    Although not enough sleeping and there are no dogs in it.

I did, however, jump a motorbike over a harbour into a moving boat.

18. Jason Lefkowitz says:

Steam also has Borderlands 2 on sale, for $13.59/£10.19. Slightly more than GMG, but except in cases of huge price disparity I’d rather buy direct from Steam myself.

Question: how must-have are the Borderlands 2 DLCs? I’ve been waiting for the inevitable GOTY edition, but at these prices the base game plus the Season Pass comes out to roughly what you’d pay for a GOTY edition anyway. Though the Season Pass appears not to include all the DLC, just a subset, so maybe waiting is still the thing to do?

• mwoody says:

The season pass includes all DLC save two major ones (each of which adds a playable character) and the ones that grant preorder bonuses from various retailers. There is one piece of DLC that’s yet to be released.

All of the DLC the season pass provides are intended to be played after the main game is complete, so you’d be just fine getting Borderlands 2 for cheap, picking up a character pack if the characters interest you (Mechromancer or Psycho), playing to the end, and deciding if you want to continue.

• Xocrates says:

The core game has plenty of content and is overall really quite good. The DLC so far has been good but not great, and overall fairly skippable, though I should note the DLC seems more focused on group play.

Personally, I would say get the main game now and the DLC’s on future sale. Though if you have friends to play with you may prefer the GOTY edition.

19. lomaxgnome says:

Groupees BeMine 8 Bundle is phenominal, right now $1 gets you:

Patrician IV+DLC
    Fairy Bloom Freesia
    Slam Bolt Scrappers
    Karateka
    RADical Roach (Desura)
    Paranautical Activity (Desura)
    Plus some music and possibly at least one more bonus game

Bump to $5 and you also get:
    Blood Bowl Legendary Edition
    Drakensang
    Blades of Time LE
    Constant C (Desura)
    One more unannounced game

Arguably the best bundle deal I’ve ever seen, virtually none of them have ever been bundled before and a very wide variety of genre.

• mwoody says:

Thanks, and yeah, that certainly looks enticing. That said, why the hell would anyone buy Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition now, with Chaos edition out? Even selling it smacks of dishonesty; like Cyanide is hoping you’ll buy it, discover after the fact that there’s a version with a few more teams that you can’t just upgrade to with a DLC package, and end up paying for the whole game again.

• lomaxgnome says:

Having any prior copy on Steam of Blood Bowl gives a 60% discount on Chaos edition. Personally all I had was Dark Elves edition so this was a bit of an upgrade for me.

I also don’t personally have an issue with companies including their older versions in cheap bundles in hopes of getting new sales, it seems like a win/win situation for everyone. Though Blood Bowl in particular seems like a case where DLC would have been perfect to use. But I’ve never understood why sports games in general don’t sell roster updates as DLC, I guess because enough people are dumb enough to buy a “new version” every year.

• flipflop mcbop says:

yep I just bought the bundle specifically for the Bloodbowl discount. You need to pay minimum of $5 for the bundle to get Bloodbowl, and activating on steam gave me a 65% discount on Chaos edition.

• rei says:

That is a nice deal, thanks for pointing it out.

• mwoody says:

Hrm, good to know about Blood Bowl. $10 on Steam for the Chaos edition is still a good chunk for what it adds, but it’s certainly more reasonable.

That said, what’s up with this thing advertising as being for “charity”? It only donates anything if you specifically check a box, and when you do, you discover that it’s being given to one person’s battle with cancer, not a verified charity or anything like that. And it only donates 20% of your payment, and then that is minus an additional 7% fee from the donation site. Them putting “charity” on this thing is a sham.

• Convolvulus says:

Drakensang: The River of Time, prequel to the game in this bundle (though released afterward), is currently on sale at Amazon US for $2.99, which I believe is the cheapest I’ve seen it. Both Steam and non-Steam versions are available.

strangeloup says:

The Walking Dead is on Amazon for $10, or a little more at GMG for £8.39, though applying the code GMG20-LLASD-D8WBQ should bring it down to more or less the same price.

Thanks to spoiler-dodging RPS commenters, I managed to get past the point I was stuck on in Episode 1 (and didn’t want to look up a guide for fear of inadvertent plot reveals) and I’ve since got up to the start of Episode 4. What a bloody amazing game :D

Thurgret says:

I’ve spent an hour and a half (and counting) trying to get Dark Souls to work. What a shambles of a port. I’m actually into the game now, and after getting rid of a floating mouse cursor from my view (and while it makes looking around in game okay, it sucks for menus), it’s giving me cues to use Xbox buttons to perform actions. I can’t find a control config menu, and I’m not learning buttons from a wiki. It’s daft enough that I have to tap ‘End’ to bring up what ‘Esc’ is the industry standard for.

Still can’t connect to Games for Windows Live, either, even after jumping through hoops to get it working.

… actually, I give up. It’s just wasting my time.

Fair warning to anyone else tempted to get Dark Souls.

22. fish99 says:

Pity amazon UK don’t have a digital download service and similar deals, since I’m not comfortable doing the fake address thing at amazon.com.

23. SkittleDiddler says:

For those complaining about its exorbitant release price, Unity of Command is currently going for $5 at the amazon sale. The expansion is discounted too.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Unity of Command is excellent. Even if you’re the attacker in a scenario overwhelmingly in your favour, the AI ruthlessly exploits any hole in your defenses to pour troops through to cut off your lines of supply.

Be prepared to have the occasional game that looks “in the bag” suddenly turn into a charnel house when the AI makes an unexpected move causing your prized Panzers suddenly run out of sausages in the middle of enemy territory and get cut to shreds.

24. jinnyjinjin says:

I do warn people, if you’re using Amazon US, be careful. My Amazon UK account is now a US account and I can’t change it back. The support site don’t help much either. I’ve contacted both UK and US and explained that I was on holiday and needed things sent to an address in the US. I wasn’t, but…shh…
    Anyway, I have been told it can’t be changed back. I’d love to get that one explained. It can be changed one way but never the other.

25. bonerjams3000 says:

Dark Souls currently unavailable on Amazon now, Darth Vader NOOOOO incoming :(

• rei says:

:((

As bVork said on the first page, though, the sale apparently possibly maybe lasts until the end of the month, and there’s a good chance they’ll get more codes before then! Keep hope alive!