Heads A Lopping: Shadow Warrior Teaser

By Craig Pearson on May 20th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

There seems to be a lot of game design documents getting dust blown off them at the moment. What other remakes are we due? Star Wars: TIE Fighter? Subwar 2050? Emerging from a dusty cloud of nostalgia is Shadow Warrior. 3D Realms’ samurai shooter from the late ’90s is being made shiny and new by Hard Reset developers Flying Wild Hog. Nathan scoured his memories of it a few weeks ago, but back then all we saw of it was a website and some words. Now I have moving pictures with sound, something that didn’t exist in the ’90s, when eyes were useless, and ears went unused.

The pre-YouTube world was joyless place, let me tell you. This trailer is all in-engine, but there’s no footage of the game in action. What it does show is e the meat connecting heads to torsos will be assaulted in all manner of swordy ways. My memory of Shadow Warrior is spotty at best, so I can’t tell if it feels like the previous game. It’s quite grim, and I’d suggest you only look at the video after the watershed of 9pm, but it’s always 9pm somewhere in the world.

No release date as of yet. A general question: what do you prefer? A remake/sequel of a game that you genuinely loved, or something new? We have both, obviously, so there’s no real need to choose, but I’d like to know what you’re looking for? And if there’s something that has been remade and you’re played it, did you enjoy it? Did it capture what you loved about the game? If you answered, you may now look at these screenshots.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. DanMan says:

Melee combat usually features terrible controls so….

• Ricc says:

There are notable exceptions like Condemned and Zeno Clash, for example.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Dark Messiah

• DickSocrates says:

Shadow Warrior had lots of melee and it was fine. It’s just a question of it being a priority during design and not just putting a punch animation into a game designed around shooting.

• The Magic says:

I actually replayed condemned recently, and compared to the newer other games people have said, the combat just felt woefully inadequate. I mean at the time, it was awesome, but now it’s just… well let’s just say that i hope this game takes more after mount & blade

• FionaSarah says:

3rd person but Oni melee combat is the best it ever got.

• Bhazor says:

Kicking a gun out of someone’s hand then both of you diving after it scooping it up during a forward roll. Why don’t all games have that?

• SimulatedMan says:

It is still the best (tied with Dark Souls) because it has some idea of footwork. Very few games seem to understand that swinging a bladed weapon while moving around like normal is a good way to both generate comparatively little force and to lose a leg. Same for punching/kicking but without the risk of self-mutilation. Mount and Blade is continually overrated in this aspect (not that melee combat in M&B is not fun for other reasons).

• Nick says:

wish Oni had a followup, I loved the hell out of that game.

2. Sparkasaurusmex says:

What’s a watershed?

3. stahlwerk says:

FIGHT! the oni warriors in a PEACEFUL GARDEN!
    DESTROY! your enemies beneath BLOOMING CHERRY BLOSSOMS!
    MAIM! the masked warlock in a RELIGIOUS TEMPLE!

4. Gap Gen says:

Man, I remember the days before cats developed a form of pidgin English and began demanding human food. Back when the internet was powered by a tiny box with screaming demons in it, that stopped working when your mum picked up the phone. Back when I had a mum.

5. Bhazor says:

Please oh please oh please oh please be absolutely ridiculous. Pretty please?

6. DickSocrates says:

Teaser isn’t inspiring at all. In fact it looks like they’ve totally missed the point of bothering to make a new Shadow Warrior. However, the pictures look more promising and Devolver has a history of making crazy games that would fit Shadow Warior perfectly. But then I look at the teaser again and I get the fear.

7. GallonOfAlan says:

Hope they don’t put the hornets in. Those things were annoying.

8. garbageman says:

Maybe they’ll shy away from blatant asian stereotypes this time around?

9. Gurrah says:

How come there’s a 3D Realms Logo at the end of the trailer, I know they made the original but hasn’t 3D Realms ceased to exist after the DNF debacle?

10. Kein says:

I love clickable screenshots.

11. waaaaaaaals says:

As much as I would like to have high hopes for this, it looks like it’s replaced the silliness element with some sort of realism.

Being silly as hell was what made Shadow Warrior really good.

• elmo.dudd says:

The Facebook page states that they are retaining the humor, and called the person who questioned such a grasshopper.

• waaaaaaaals says:

Then they went and said to Joystiq that they’re swapping a lot of jokes out for modern ones because they could be seen as offensive, sexist, racist, stereotypical .etc

I’m expecting arrows to the knees and everything.

12. Cytrom says:

I didn’t see much good in the trailer, but i have great expectations of the ex-people-can-fly guys teamed up with devolver digital.

13. BlitzThose says:

Whoooo wanta some Wang

• chargen says:

LO WANG DROP SOAP

• Ludomation says:

Do you want to wash wang or watch wang wash wang?

But seriously, until the puns start flying – there is nothing more than blood & a katana to connect the old to the new. I hope it’s not a game that takes itself too seriously.

14. quercus says:

I loved the original game – it was (in my opinion) one of the better Duke Nukem based shooters from 3D Realms, because it had the same humour but with a decidedly Chinese mythos feel and neat features such as (stationary) tanks, melee combat with swords and even a mini-nuke rocket launcher.

I hope the remake has the same sense of fun but based upon the trailer, I fear not.

15. sbs says:

I absolutely adore Shadow Warrior, but – What excited me the most is Hard Reset devs. That game was TIGHT.

16. Michael Fogg says:

A few of the things seen in Shadow Warrior: a katana that slices things into bloodty bits, shurikens, poison gas grenades, a rapid fire auto-shotgun, vehicles you can drive, a severed head which spews various types of fireballs (used as a weapon), Anime babes. Flying Wild Hog guys, don’t screw it up, will ya?

17. ijidauiwh says:

I absolutely adore Shadow Warrior, but – What excited me the most is Hard Resed devs. That game was TIGHT.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JuZTxlM0ek

18. sbs says:

I feel kind of violated by that spammer.

19. Nest says:

I really don’t think this game needs to be remade, sequeled, or anything like that. The original game is *great*, absolutely fantastic (I’m playing it for the first time on Steam and loving it), but its themes, tone, and humor are incredibly offensive to a degree that is completely unredeemable. If you remove all of that stuff, and still keep the weapons, enemies, mechanics, and fantastic level design, you will still have a great game, but I don’t think it’s something people would recognize as Shadow Warrior.

Honestly, what I wish would happen is for game devs to spend some time re-playing games like Shadow Warrior, Doom, Duke3D, and rather than fixate on the aesthetics or gags, study the level design and play mechanics. I would love to see a few more modern, higher-budget shooters with open-ended level designs, lots of secrets, multiple routes to get to the same objective, puzzles, a wide variety of weapons and tools which you can carry all at the same time and which are all useful in different situations.

Shadow Warrior: a fantastic IP which needs to be allowed to die, but should be extensively mined for good design ideas.

Comment on this story