Call Of Duty: Ghosts RPS EXCLUSIVE Dogshot Gallery

By Nathan Grayson on May 21st, 2013 at 9:30 pm.

'Come on, troops! To battle! We can't just run away with our tails between our legs or roll over. Well, not unless they scratch our tummies first. Hah. That's dog humor, you see.'

Call of Duty has a dog now. Not just one that attacks you in multiplayer, either. This one’s yours, and it’s meticulously mo-capped to boot. While last year’s edition was all about DRONES DRONES DRONES (and occasionally horses), Call of Duty: Ghosts is trying to tell a Truly Human And Emotional Story about “underdog” military men and their, er, actual dog. Apparently an “apocalyptic” event has left America’s army in tatters, so the Ghosts must strike from the shadows against some mysterious, overwhelmingly superior force. Naturally, explosions ensue, and lots of things fall down in cool ways. It’s all being brained up by Oscar-winning Traffic scribe Stephen Gaghan, which is maybe significant but probably not. But enough silly facts. After the break, you’ll find Ghosts’ first trailer, a drool-worthy RPS ‘SKLOOSIVE dogshot gallery, and probable proof that the dog is the centerpiece of the entire plot.

The game begins with two young brothers experiencing a Great Catastrophe and growing up with war all around them. 15 or so years later, they end up joining the Ghosts – who are apparently based on Navy SEAL Team Six, the soldiers that downed Osama Bin Laden. “Hey, you got your Homefront in my Call of Duty,” basically. Also, multiplayer maps will be all dynamic and prone to falling apart, and the whole thing’s running on a new “next-gen” engine that enables such revolutionary stunts as leaning and sliding.

More importantly, the dog. It’ll be your bright-eyed, ever-faithful companion in and out of combat. OR WILL IT. Note that the trailer ominously says “You can’t stop remembering… the things you should forget” just before flashing to the dog. Next, the dog appears immediately after Gruffins the soldier man says his group is “fighting for something that can’t be killed.” The dog is clearly some kind of immortal bioweapon. If it falls into the wrong hands, well, I shudder to think what would happen. Its epidemic of furry fury must be contained at all costs.

Now look at these seemingly innocent pictures and think about that.

And, in another breaking RPS EXEDECSOTUPPLESCLUSIVE, here’s the game’s ending, 100 percent confirmed:

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I bet it was $UNSPECIFIED_MIDDLE_EAST_COUNTRY. Those guys could easily take out the US military.

• roryok says:

if(player.location == “China”){
      enemy = “North Korea”;
      }else{
      enemy = “China”;
      }

• Gap Gen says:

The most potent force opposed to the US military appears to be Congress. Perhaps the enemy could be a cabal of crazed socialists wanting to disband the army and rabid teapartiers wanting to slash all government spending.

• Jade Raven says:

Last time I checked (MW2) the enemies were always Russians. I don’t really see that changing.

It’s funny though, that it looks like a near-perfect karma has been bought down on the US from afar in this story.

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Surely it has to be $mean_aliens! Dog knows no real country can beat the only free country in the wurld! U!S!A! U!S!A!

• Jdopus says:

I find it amusing to think of these games as fan-fiction for overly patriotic Americans – the war-game equivalent of a fat teenager writing about her love for Edward Cullen.

Except instead of true love, they’re imagining a war where they get to be TRUE HEROES and THE UNDERDOGS. You just know they’ve been collectively fantasizing about that kind of situation since the end of World War 2.

Also, their military budget is the equivalent of fan merchandize, which they’re amassing for the day they can finally show their true love just how much they matter.

• Ostymandias says:

oh my god it is clearly obamacare socialist reform fascist dictatorship

• edwardh says:

Yeah right. As if they wouldn’t have done that already if that would really be the case. Or do you think it’s fun getting fucked by someone on a daily basis?

2. db1331 says:

I’ll bet my next paycheck that the game will use these ghost masks like TF2 uses hats. They’ll charge 99 cents for each one, with hundreds of different (or different colored) designs. I bet there will be some Dew and Doritos themed masks as well.

• kwyjibo says:

Of course it fucking does.

It’s just so crass now. It used to be, “oh, we’re trying to screw you for stuff that used to be free”, now microtransactions are a bullet point feature that you advertise on stage during a console launch.

And the microtransactions aren’t just to subsidise the free to play community, you’ve paid £50 for the game, and an annual Xbox Live subscription, and you still have to pay for a hat.

• Skofnung says:

Outrageous!!! Paying for optional aesthetic content!!! Why I never…

• HadToLogin says:

Wouldn’t call “+25 HP” a cosmetic item. Yes, TF2 have tons of those.

• strangeloup says:

“Tons” is a bit of an exaggeration. There are only five loadouts that provide any kind of boost which require a hat, and only three more providing a boost when specific weapon combinations are equipped, and in all cases the bonus is fairly minor.

Plus you can craft the requisite hats for the low, low price of free. Or trade for them. Or get them as a drop.

• Juan Carlo says:

Ghost Corgi DLC, please.

3. Barnox says:

That second/third screenshot, with the stairs and the silhouette, was shown early in the reveal. I thought it was going to be a BigDog. I wouldn’t mind following a BigDog, sticking my spare guns on it, having it burst through doors scaring the Russian/Chinese/Ghost terrorists.
    Sadly, no, it was an actual dog.

4. Thurgret says:

Whatever happened to the interesting and sort of unique World War Two game?

5. Ultra Superior says:

War is beautiful.
    – Goldman Sachs

6. Penguin_Factory says:

Call of Dog: Modern Dogfare

Seriously thought that trailer was embarrassing to watch. It’s a perfect blend of the 100% awareness free glorification of war that these games have always indulged in with treacly, maudlin melodrama. That shot of the dog and soldier silhouetted against the sky looks like something out a recruitment poster.

7. FurryLippedSquid says:

Ghost mutt.

8. phelix says:

As we all know, the true meaning of “ghost” is gratuitously blowing things up and gratuitously shooting brown-faced men (who are optionally voiced by Google Translate).

• TooGoodToCheck says:

The irony being that, other than the names of the countries involved, the story of Ghost – fighting asymmetrically against an overwhelming force that has messed up your country – is pretty much the narrative of anyone currently fighting against the USA

• Otter says:

Sad but true, my friend.

• DXN says:

The US is quietly coming to see the ‘scrappy freedom fighter’ narrative as more honourable and appealing than the ‘always-winning-but-never-victorious high-tech army’ narrative. They want some of that bravado and stories like this are how they try and claim some of it. ‘See, Americans could do that too! And we’d do it better!’

9. Dowr says:

Motion captured dogs is diffidently the pinnacle (some may say apex) of this so called “Next Generation”.

• Panda Powered says:

Don’t forget fish moving away as you swim near them! That requires transistors and at least several shader techniques not existing in current hardware.

10. Hahaha says:

Cod so skipped most of the article to ask what was that game on one of the playstations where you were a cop(?) and you had a dog you could control with your voice?

11. Paul says:

Looks like dogshit indeed. Crysis 1 from 2007 was more impressive, and still is and will be more ambitious than CoD will ever be.

• kwyjibo says:

I was thinking this when watching the Xbox reveal. They were showing Modern Warfare 3, and how it looks a bit shit (yet claiming it was state of the art only a year ago!), and then showing how awesome a game which almost looks as good as Crysis is. Hashtag progress.

12. db1331 says:

I would have been almost excited about this level of visual detail about 3 years ago.

13. Buemba says:

Emotional story, huh? So what are the odds the dog bites the dust on the second to last level?

14. Blandford says:

Don’t forget that fish will move out of the way when the player approaches them and also the breakthrough Leaning (TM) technology.

15. Shooop says:

I laughed way more than I probably should have at your ending.

I miss Team Silent.

16. Werthead says:

DAY ONE DLC: PLAYABLE DOG

17. Wololo says:

Kommissar Rex.

18. Simes says:

DOGFACE

19. GameCat says:

And the 2013 Game Journalism Award goes to!!!

20. Michael Fogg says:

Dog Green is not open, I repeat, Dog Green is not open…

21. Xantonze says:

The Silent Dog = best ending ever. Well played guys!

22. SKapsniak says:

You know which other military dude famously liked dogs? Hitler!.

/losesthread

23. Snids says:

Dogs are bloody brilliant. Like cats but much better. I watched that Silent Hill 2 ending and this happened:

24. kud13 says:

But will we be able to talk to the dog?

or at least pet it?

25. essentialatom says:

Breaking news: Silent Hill 2′s Dog Ending turns out to be revolutionary precursor to Portal’s Still Alive

26. Abendlaender says:

That armored dog looks so happy :D

27. pilouuuu says:

DogFace!

I’m sure they’ll release Poodles and Weimaraners as day 1 DLC…

28. Xocrates says:

Not going to lie, I laughed through the entirety of that trailer.

Does the COD series have even an ounce of self-awareness? They do realize that their “deep emotional story” is hopelessly undermined by the game itself, right?

29. Nick says:

Hope none of the doors have round handles or the dog won’t be able to open them for you.

30. Upper Class Twit says:

So, uh, has anyone seen Traffic? How was that? Genuinely curious if that “Oscar Award winning author” is anything to be excited about.

Also, if they’re underdog freedom fighters, how do they afford fancy uniforms, with patches and everything?

31. Dana says:

No Ghostface ? I’m impressed.

32. ananasblau says:

Nice dog photos, but i’m sure they have scenes in mind like the one I shot a few years ago: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomk32/2957296113/

33. Low Life says:

But will every hair of the dog’s fur be individually modelled? I bet they won’t, because consoles are shit.

34. MrMud says:

The behind the scenes trailer shown at the reveal did show a dog in a mocap suit, that was good enough for me.

35. edwardoka says:

PUGFACE.

36. ZHsquad says:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Look at all the puppies!

37. Bluerps says:

Huh. Seems like this COD will be superior to all previous CODs, because dogs make everything better (unless they only appear in the game as growling monsters that want to bite your face off, of course). It probably won’t be good in any other way, but at least it will have the dog.

38. Gap Gen says:

I was wondering why the previous announcement cried “Havok physics”.

39. Werthead says:

Last night’s X-Box announcement, as spread across the gaming part of the Internet:

1) Crap and confusing name.
    2) TV media guff.
    3) New Remedy game.
    4) Musings on ramifications of new console for second-hand sales and backwards compatibility.
    5) New CALL OF DUTY game, dull it’s just another OHMYGODIT’SGOTADOGINIT.
    6) Dogdogdogdogdog!
    7) Dog meme gifs commence.
    8) Dog gets own Twitter account*.
    9) Rest of world looks on in bewilderment.

* https://twitter.com/CollarDuty

40. Totally heterosexual says:

YO THEM DOGS

THEY WALK AROUND THE FUCKING HOUSE

goty10/10mountaindewetc

41. sonson says:

DOGS! Dogs are the best. I fucking love dogs. DOGS is an acronym of GODS. I have a dog that looks a bit like the one in COD and he is the best.

I hate games where you have to kill dogs/where dogs die and very rarely will I play them. Dogs which are mutant dogs/robo dogs are some form of not actual dog may prove an exception to this, but again the parameters are strict.
    Cyberdogs in Blood Dragon? Ok, I’ll kill them, they’re all metal for the most part. I won’t enjoy it, but I can cope. Dogs in Dishonred, the weird sort of rat dogs? Again, not recognisably canine enough to give me cause for concern. But Cyperdog Rex in New Vegas? NO. NO FUCKING WAY. HE IS TOO MUCH REAL DOG. I reloaded my game when he got caught up in a crossfire inside The Kings joint, he didn’t even belong to me, but so long as I control the course of events no dogs are dying on my watch, by my own hand or those of others.

In conclusion-Dogs.

• Werthead says:

NEW VEGAS is a very dog-friendly game that I can get behind. It even has a dog who has died (arf!) but whose spirit lives on. Inside a colossal mega-cannon of death. Hearing his yap of happiness every time I blew away a deathclaw with it made the whole game worthwhile.

42. cpt_freakout says:

OMYDOG THIS IS GOOD

Seriously now, if those dogs don’t have jetpacks and turrets mounted on their hips I’m not seeing how this is worthy of the Call of Doogie name here.

43. Megakoresh says:

Canine Duty: Bones.

44. flabcake says:

would be nice if they put some effort in… same engine, linear set-piece story probably some minor changes to the multi-player loadouts blah blah blah
    getting sick of them ripping off the fans with each new release. fast becoming the new final fantasy let down title…
    I guess they must be working hard with Blizzard to get as much money for as little work as possible while pissing off everyone who cared about their games…

45. P.Funk says:

Arm patch at ~45 seconds in… total Darth Nihilus moment.

Comment on this story