Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger Trailer #23134

By Craig Pearson on May 22nd, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Hooray!
Time is a meaningless construct. A philosophically confusing frame that demeans our very existence when we acknowledge it. Destroy your clocks and watches, they are prisons, trapping you in a mental cells! Stop being tools of the elite chronologistia, and allow yourself to be free. Let’s not consider the seconds ticking off, falling like dandruff on the shoulder of life; the minutes that build up and up and up until the dam breaks and we all get covered in sticky time juice; the hours that segment our day but lazily repeat, not even having the common decency to go up to 24; the days that.. ooh, today’s Wednesday! That means Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger is out! Hooray for time and dates. And hooray for acknowledging Call Of Juarez: Juarez’s launch with a new trailer on that very day! There’s 4 minutes of footage, which covers everything that has been said about the game and finally demonstrates the unreliable narrator with guns schtick. It is below.

It’s everything you needed to know about Gunslinger in a handy little info burst. It is gleefully done, reveling in the game’s silliness and gun love. John reveled in that as well, calling bits of it ‘wonderful’, and I thoroughly enjoyed it at preview events. Well done, Techland. You made a game that didn’t rely on a grim simulacrum to sell it. Next step is making it an open world, yes? We know the engine can handle it.

It’s out today!

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. skyturnedred says:

Sold!

2. phelix says:

First time I’ve ever been actually convinced by a launch trailer to buy a game.

3. BobbyDylan says:

Ummm… BULLETFACE?

4. Jason Moyer says:

Sombitch that looks good.

5. Barberetti says:

Wow, that trailer (and the WiT) have made me interested in playing a FPS for the first time in years. Congrats Techland, you’ve got my cash.

6. McDan says:

But just how many people can I shoot in the face.

7. junglist 69 says:

Geez not the face!!!!!!!!

8. Alphabet says:

Bah! Now I can’t decide whether to buy this or Van Helsing! I mean I want both but I only have time to play one before the end of the semester separates me from my gaming computer for a long time*.

*(three months)

9. LionsPhil says:

This looks like the game Bulletstorm wanted to be.

Could have done with a slightly less cringe-inducing trailervoiceoverguy; the clips of the ones actually in the game seemed to be balanced slightly better into chewing just the right amount of scenery.

And it mentions a demo that doesn’t seem to be up yet?

• Kinch says:

I thought of Bulletstorm too, but hey, that game was everything it wanted to be and it was god-damn fantastic.

I hope CoJ: Gunslinger is at least half as good.

10. derbefrier says:

Lol funny video. Sold me on it. Gotta beat a few other games first though

11. ohexplode says:

I saw this video right after John’s review, immediately pre-ordered to get Bound in Blood. First time I’ve ever pre-ordered a game (I should have on Bit.trip 2 but I had 1 :/, tf2 item alone goes for half the price).

12. Parrot says:

“and even find answers to some important questions: and just what gun is best for shooting -inaudible- in the face. If I shoot one in the face and another in the stomach, will I get less points?”

You got me all hooked-up there, dear stupid commentary voice. Questions I’ve been asking myself all my life. A game that addresses existential philosophy!

13. Buckermann says:

Nice trailer, but there’s one thing it wasn’t very clear about.

Within this game,is it possible to shoot people in the face?

14. Psihomodo says:

The game seems to have big problems with microstutter (like Dead Island since it is the same engine), low FOV and screen tearing even with V-sync.

Just a warning to research it before you throw the cash at the screen. Some people report that the microstutter goes away if you use, guess what, a controller, and that is something I will never do.

Other conclusions you can draw yourselves…

• djbriandamage says:

Thank you so much for your comment. My biggest problem with Bound in Blood, which I really loved, was the atrocious FOV. I was so looking forward to Gunslinger but thanks to your comment I will not buy it until they make FOV adjustable, even by editing INI files.

-edit-

Just checked the Steam community hub for this game and searching for “FOV” reveals many posts saying “FOV is terrible, do not buy.”

15. Shooop says:

There is a problem though – the Steam forums are aflame with complaints about the pathetic FOV and black bars around the screen that limits your vision even farther.

I’m waiting for some kind of fix for the FOV before plunging into this.

• Sizer says:

As an avid user of nVidia surround, I can tell you that I did not miss it while playing this game. The story is a fantastically violent revenge tale, and the gunplay has such a satisfying impact. The black bars around the screen add to the atmosphere – its supposed to be frayed film. The whole game is told from the perspective of the main character in a saloon 40 someodd years after the fact. They play that up for all it’s worth, with early 19th century film grain effects and filters. Worth the 15 bucks 100% in my book

• ResonanceCascade says:

When I looked at the Steam forums, they were full of people praising the game and saying it’s a steal for $15, but that, yes, that FOV needs work. And I would agree with that assessment.

16. DarkLiberator says:

A trailer that shows gameplay and explains the game. Good one.

17. TwwIX says:

This seems like a fun, lighthearted spin off the original two Call of Juarez games that i also enjoyed. I like that Ubisoft is pursuing these kind of spin offs even further. I really enjoyed Far Cry: Blood Dragon as well. I hope see more projects like this from them in the future. I really like this new Ubisoft.

• Grover says:

I think Ubi is getting much better at bite sized game play that embraces being a game. Tyranny of Washington, Blood Dragon, Juarez now. I hope they keep going this way!

18. Grover says:

A video game embracing a sense of genre savvy over-the-top fun and a damn reasonable price?

It’s like Blood Dragon all over again and I damn well love it!

19. orange says:

Now this is how you sell a game!! Probably the most convincing trailer I’ve ever watched. I just can’t help but buy it now.

20. Player1 says:

It looks awesome. As a big fan of Red Dead Redemption this seems to be a no brainer, but the lack of multiplayer is a big letdown.

21. Cronstintein says:

Fun game, at least I’m certainly enjoying it so far. I love pc gaming for the flexible price point. I would pass at $50 but at $15 I pre-ordered it based on the earlier RPS article.

I would much prefer a ~5 hour game that doesn’t overstay it’s welcome at a lower price rather than a 20 hour game that gets stale at normal pricing.

Comment on this story