Mods In Spaceeeee: Strike Suit Zero Steam Workshop

By Craig Pearson on May 22nd, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Showing off your mod tools by modding your own game seems like a bit of a cheat to me. It would be like me showing you how easy it was to write a hilarious and witty SEO-filled RPS post by writing a hilarious and witty RPS SEO-filled post, because you’d expect that from me (and also ipad facebook jolie football gaga 22cans xboxone). But that’s what Born Ready Games chose to do, and though I expect it was easier for them than it would be for the average user, it is interesting to see them turn their space-bot fighting game, Strike Suit Zero, into a racing game, shooter, and a parcel delivery simulator. Explainingey videoey belowey.

As you’ll see, the tools are fairly flexible. They hark the opening of a Steam Workshop for the game, so if you did purchase and enjoy it then there’s hopefully more to come. I’m more interested in the non-canon approach, probably best exemplified in Parsec Parcels: the shiny space blaster becomes a grimy, top-down package delivery sim in just four days of development. Other than that, there’s a developer-built F-Zeroish racing game called S-Zero that includes a ghost-racer, and the Asteroid-ish Roid Rage. They’re both at least visually similar to the daddy game, the cheats!

The tools are now sitting in your Steam tools library, if you own Strike Suit Zero.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Astartes says:

He should get those rips in his jeans sewed.

2. rustybroomhandle says:

You forgot Bieber… and also remember to add a few misspelled variants.

3. Clavus says:

I’ll give this game a go once they release their Rift support. Been waiting for something new to try after I completed the HL2 series.

4. derbefrier says:

Sweet, this is a fun game and is a lot more enjoyable after a few patches(namely fixing the check point system and adding a cockpit view). Can’t wait to see what people come up with

5. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Gosh this is cool news, and a cockpit view? Hooo, I think I’ll wait till the summer sale.

6. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Just look at those shelves behind him. Look upon their majesty and weep, that there is such beauty in this world.

7. PatrickSwayze says:

Expecting some really cool space mecha down the line to appear from modders, myself included.

Thinking of something game breaking, similar to a super dimensional fortress or a city sized transformer…

• arccos says:

Yes! And if you break it with an ultra-powerful mech, it’ll just inspire someone else to create a level or campaign up to the challenge.

8. bongosabbath says:

Gundam mod pls.

9. drvoke says:

Bought SS0 for half off on steam. Beat the campaign in one sitting, about 3.5 hours. All that’s left is score chasing, DLC, and mod tools. It was not nearly as graphically polished as I’d hoped, and there is very little sense of scale. It was fun, but I pretty much mined all the fun I’m likely to extract from it in those few hours. I don’t regret paying $10 for it, but I would have been pretty disappointed at spending $20. They have definitely fixed whatever checkpoint madness plagued the initial release, because whenever I died I started from a place I felt was reasonable.

Comment on this story