Don’t Kall It A Komeback: Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition

By Nathan Grayson on May 23rd, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

My blood! He punched out all my blood!

This post is brought to you by the incorrectly used letter K. No other letters, Egyptian hieroglyphs, or wingdings were harmed in the making of Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition. Just K, which has been forcefully fused with various words in some kind of bone-splintering reverse-fatality. But enough sighing over English’s desecrated corpse. We’re getting a videogame! The Komplete Edition brings together 2011′s rather enjoyable series reboot and all of its DLC, so there’ll certainly be plenty to do. Will it make up for two years of waiting? Fingers, subcutaneous arm blades, and limp, disembodied spines crossed.

High Voltage Software, they of Wii shooter The Conduit and, um, Kinect Star Wars, are handling porting duties. Originally, the heavy hitting gorebiffer was developed by longtime series sensei Netherrealm Studios, so here’s hoping High Voltage does it justice. If nothing else, extra goodies are a start.

“Players enter the realm to face the Kombatants in Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition for PC , delivering all of the downloadable content, including intrepid warriors Skarlet, Kenshi and Rain, as well as the notorious dream stalker Freddy Krueger. Additionally, the game offers 15 Klassic Mortal Kombat Skins and three Klassic Fatalities (Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile).”

Yep, Freddy Krueger’s in for some reason. Mortal Kombat’s been accused of a lot of things, but staying too far inside the Netherrealm of possibility has never been one of them.

If you just started having nightmarish visions of an eternal struggle between yourself and a woefully ill-suited keyboard-mouse setup, well, you probably have a pretty good life, all things considered. But also, don’t worry too much. Support for both no-frills gamepads and the Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition Fight Stick will be included from the get-go.

Komplete Edition’s releasing on July 3rd. Do you find this unexpekted announkement akkeptable(k)?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Surlywombat says:

Test your might
    Test your might
    Test your might
    Test your might
    MORTAL KOMBAT!

• FunnyB says:

I’ve always been disappointed that they never have (as far as I know at least) used the Mortal Kombat theme song in any of the games. Talk about a classic (or is that klassik) theme!

• DickSocrates says:

Jokes about Mortal Kombat using a K instead of a C in 2013.

• MeestaNob says:

The best video game movie with the best theme music.

PUMP IT.

2. P7uen says:

I’ll be Raiden my bank account when this comes out.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

I’ll be Liu Kang to pick this up at some point.

• Bluerps says:

To be honest, I’ve always been a bit of a Noob in Mortal Kombat. Though I guess, it Kano hurt to take a look when it comes out.

• Jekhar says:

I can’t wait for it to COME HERE!

• Kobest says:

So much JAXtaposition, can’t wait!

• Henke says:

Just be careful when you’re raiden your bank account so you don’t end up with sub zero dollars in it.

• shinygerbil says:

I’ve just Goro get hold of this.

• mrmalodor says:

I don’t wanna Rain on anyone’s parade, but Jarekon it’s gonna come with GFWL?

• Low Life says:

I just hope their good words about the port aren’t just Smoke and mirrors – my previous experiences with these late ports have left me quite Jaded.

• JCD says:

Let’s hope it has more replay value than Tsung of the others.

• x3m157 says:

I’m Goro get this, I’ve been Cyrax-ly Liu Kang for a game like this for a while. Mortal Kombat Shao Kahn be fun!
      Unless of course the new studio completely Stry-kes out in this new Sektor of the market…

3. Wedge says:

Block button. Can’t ever get used to that in a fighting game.. But still, I’m glad when anyone bothers to put more fighting games on PC. The degree to which they made Street Fighter moddable is insane.

• NyuBomber says:

Well it wasn’t really “made” to be moddable, but Capcom’s gone on record that they have no plans to get in the way of the modding, which is cool as well.

• Wedge says:

Well yeah, I meant the degree to which fans made it moddable. I’ve played around with the movelist editor program they created, and it’s quite extensive.

4. Patches the Hyena says:

I’ve always wondered why Scorpion isn’t Skorpion in the game.

• NyuBomber says:

Don’t forget Johnny Cage!

He’ll nail your groin if you do.

5. NyuBomber says:

So happy!

For those curious, Mortak Kombat (usually referred to as MK9) is a really good fighter. Hopefully this, Capcom’s PC support of Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter X Tekken, and the future Skullgirls PC release spurs even more fighting game PC releases. Would really love to see Tekken Tag 2 ported.

• NailBombed says:

I really REALLY would love Capcom to port over their Marvel VS Capcom titles to PC – and Darkstalkers. Not a lot of chance of that happening though.

• NyuBomber says:

There’s a couple of issues striking against Marvel vs. Capcom (whether current or older in the series) and older Capcom games getting properly ported, unfortunately:

- In the case of the Vs. Series, they have to deal with Marvel/Disney (or SNK if we’re talking the Vs. SNK games), which can throw all sorts of monkey wrenches into any plans if they disagree on anything. Like modding.

- In the case of the older games, they’ve been emulated for PC and running on GGPO for so long that properly releasing them could not severely cut into the money Capcom would hope to make, but also fragment the player base.

On another unrelated hand, I also just remembered the recently announced Guilty Gear Xrd, which is *running on the Unreal engine and still retaining the 2D fighter feel perfectly.* Seems like a great candidate for a PC port on the surface.

• ZyloMarkIII says:

I would love to see the Versus series make it onto the PC as well. To be honest, those games were the most fun I’ve ever had in a fighting game series and introduced me to Marvel characters in a great manner. I actually would like to see Capcom vs SNK make a return as well, and considering that Marvel vs Capcom made it after a decade; it wouldn’t be too surprising if such a game was in the works.

• realitysconcierge says:

This.

• lucky jim says:

It’s a great game, yeah.. seems a little late, though. Especially with Injustice out now. I was disappointed for years after seeing NRS’ high quality videos of character reveals that I KNOW were captured on the PC. This game’s gonna look great :O The console versions are pretty ugly.

I just hope they don’t end up being too surprised by possibly less-than-stellar sales.. if they had timed the port around the release of the console version, I’m sure it’d look much different. I’d have just bought the PC version myself.

TTT2 would also be a great PC release for graphics alone.. the arcade version uses some serious hardware and they really had to neuter the texture detail and resolution to get the game to constantly run a solid 60 on consoles.

6. Choca says:

Cool, hope the port is good because this MK is pretty great..

7. Spacewalk says:

The question is is it more fun than Shaolin Monks?

8. BTAxis says:

Didn’t you mean “komebakk”?

9. Skeletor68 says:

Most fun story mode of any fighter I’ve ever played!

As an aside, have any of you fine folks played Injustice?

• NyuBomber says:

Yes! Hopeful that NRS and DC already have it in the works for PC, but I already have it for my console box.

10. Oneironaut says:

Can’t wait for this and Skullgirls. The PC is in dire need of more fighters. JRPGs would be nice too.

11. FriendlyPsicopath says:

When’s injustice??
    Hopping that this will sell and they will bring Injustice game to the Pc with all the DLC as well!!!!

12. Sami H says:

The main reason this is awesome is because Netherrealm gave up on balance patches ages ago, so this should allow the community (in theory) to mod and balance the hell out of it.

Of course, “community balancing” brings its own issues…

13. Unruly says:

I’m probably going to get some crap for this, but I really liked Deadly Alliance and Deception when they were released. I never got a chance to play Armageddon, but I have a feeling I would have liked it too.

I was never really any good at them, but I liked the style-switching and Konquest mode was pretty enjoyable. There’s really only so much you can do with a fighting game’s single player mode, and wandering around the various realms doing simple quests and fighting people, learning new moves along the way, is a pretty decent way of doing it. More fun than just the ever-present ladder climb of the past.

Oh, and to derail a bit, the world needs a new Killer Instinct, damnit!

14. MattM says:

Arrrg I just bought this for PS3. Good on them for porting though.

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Me too, but honestly, the time I’ve already spent with it was worth the price of the PS3 alone. And Dualshock’s d-pad seems perfect for 2D fighting. I can’t imagine playing this on the wired 360 controller I’ve got hooked to my ol’ PC.

15. E_FD says:

I hope it lives up to the gold standard for PC fighting games, One Must Fall 2097.

16. Eclipse says:

FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MK was one of the few games I really wanted on PC, I found it waaaaay more fun than SSFIV. But maybe I’m biased, I loved SF but MK setting always got me and drag me to love it like scorpion’s harpoon <3 (wow this sounds kind of nasty)

17. edwardh says:

Too little, too late.
    Sold my underused graphics cards and I sure as hell won’t get a new one for these dated visuals.
    Two years ago, I would’ve bought it. Oh well… back to Terraria instead.