Eagle Punch! D&D Online: Shadowfell Conspiracy

By Craig Pearson on May 23rd, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

I am once again reminded of the existence of a game by the announcement of an expansion. Dungeons & Dragons Online’s shift to free-to-play years ago has given it enough success to keep quietly humming along, with the second expansion in seven years launching in the Summer. The Shadowfell Conspiracy is a content update, with new adventure packs (missions), monsters, and companions. It’ll also bring “Iconic Heroes”, ready-made level 15 characters for those who view grind with haughty disdain. You pay to not play! A teaser trailer for all the new content is beneath these words and some more words.

As far as I can tell, there’s no talk of new lands, just additional dungeons within the Forgotten Realms, which as everyone reading this knows were added in the previous expansion pack. Wheloon is a prison city that masks the player as an outlaw to disrupt a growing rebellion of prisoners. Stormhorn Mountains is a hilly and chilly addition to lands.

It’ll be $30 for the standard edition and $50 for the CE, which seems quite a lot to me. Are people still willing to drop that amount of money on a bit of a game? That said, I quite like the CE pre-order bonus pets: one is an owl that is also a bear, and another is a cat with wings. When in doubt, take two animals and make a new one, and charge people accordingly.

The expansion arrives August 19th.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Neurotic says:

Love me some DDO. GOt my boxed Stormreach right here on the shelf with my AD&D books. And as long as they keep making expansions, I’ll keep buying ‘em too. Standard, mind, not the expensive ones.

• paddymaxson says:

Oh go on, spend the extra $20. It’s actually kind of worth it in this case.

2. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Never seen the joy of a natural 20 recreated digitally or indeed a natural 1 from a fighter using a composite bow taking out the parties magic user. When a game does this I will give up the die!

3. Moorkh says:

Out of curiousity: Are DDO’s Forgotten Realms adventures using the “classic” pre-4E FR setting or the (totally erm…improved) new one?

• .backslash says:

Last time I played DDO it was Eberron only, but I the blurbs about the new expansion on their website mention belling Netherese mages in Wheloon, and last time Netheril was around Cormyr was still nothing but forest, so it’s the 4e version. Which is kind of weird since DDO’s rules were much closer to 3.5.

• FuzzyDuck81 says:

The setting pretty much follows the current WotC storyline which puts it post-4E, (The Darkening storyline, Mystra’s been dead quite a while, Elminster is alive again & Llolth’s trying to take over as goddess of magic), but the actual mechanics, classes etc. are based off 3.5 with some 4e elements & additional adaptations for MMO vs. PnP so still has a lot of the old flexibility in builds & multiclassing etc.

• paddymaxson says:

It’s post 4E timeline but the game looks and feels very 3.5 to me. Eveningstar feels very NWN2 to me.

4. Screwie says:

The $30 and $50 versions do at least come with 1000 and 2000 store points respectively, which takes roughly 20-25% back off the price.

I do have an unhealthy love of shadar-kai and rogues, so I am rather tempted to buy it for that shadar-kai assassin iconic class. It’s been a while since I played DDO but I really liked my time there.

5. paddymaxson says:

DDO will always be my favourite MMO. I will likely be buying the $50+legendary bonus pack for this.

I thought Neverwinter MIGHT have stolen me away until some of the shenanigans they tried. DDO really is a great game, it looks like turds, the combat is a bit clunky and confused but the game itself is deep and interesting and great fun to play. So I’ll be spending my Neverwinter refuns on another DDO expansion.