Metro: LL Getting A Metric Ton Of Single-Player DLC

By Nathan Grayson on May 23rd, 2013 at 9:00 am.

A truly harrowing cautionary tale: Don't smile or your face really will, in fact, crack.

Metro: Last Light is my current slithering, senses-constricting conquest, but I haven’t quite finished it yet. Thus far, however, my feelings align pretty well with Jim’s, bringing Hivemind Orgiastic Synergism rates up to 212.5783 percent. Last Light’s different from 2033 but still of a similar spirit, and I quite like the idea of viewing its intoxicatingly disheveled world from different perspectives. That’s precisely the idea behind 4A’s summer flood of single-player DLC, so I’m definitely not complaining. According to legends, complete Hivemind synergy will actually cause the apocalypse, so you’ll probably want to dive into the break’s dank tunnels for safety. Also, details.

Four “packs” are on the way, and they’ll release at a steady clip throughout the summer. Here’s what makes each of them tick:

“The ‘Faction Pack’ and the ‘Chronicles Pack’ will include new, original single player gameplay that expands on the Metro: Last Light universe and story. The ‘Tower Pack’ will present a unique solo challenge to Metro veterans. Meanwhile, the ‘Developer Pack’ will give creative players some interesting tools with which to explore the world of Metro.”

The Faction Pack will be first to break cover, and it’ll kick off the cold, irradiated summer in June. 4A notes that instead of Artyom, it’ll focus on “other characters with stories to tell.” I’m hoping beyond hope it won’t just be a different shooty soldier man, but we’ll see. Also, a “Developer Pack”? Is that mod tools, or some kind of commentary – ala many of Valve’s games? Suppose I’ll be mailing Deep Silver about that, then.

Like everyone else, Deep Silver and 4A are offering a Season Pass thinger, and that’ll only run you $14.99/£11.99. I advise watching and waiting instead of blinding throwing money forever and for always, but it’s your call. I certainly like what I’m hearing, but I prefer my pudding with a side order of proof. Or something. I think I just synergized with Horace, who is clearly hungry – for justice. Also, all things. And thus, my search for an infinite buffet begins.

, , , .

1. GSGregory says:

I am surprised to see no complaints about the ranger mode aka whats been a standard in many games aka hardcore mode. Th second I saw it had been broken out and called dlc and listed immersion as the reason to buy I was instantly disinterested in the game.

• Mman says:

Given that every other post in the review thread is about it I’d hardly say there are “no complaints”.

• SirKicksalot says:

It’s included for free in all first run retail copies.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

> I was instantly disinterested in the game

Isn’t that an overreaction? It is for me. I do think it was a bad idea to split it out; Ranger Mode should have been the normal “difficulty” mode in 2033 (scare quotes because it’s not just a difficulty thing), and the same holds true for Last Light. Ranger Mode is more true to the whole design of the game, and for that reason alone should be considered integral to it.

It was already bad that it wasn’t the normal mode—having it as DLC was just making a poor situation a little bit worse.

But what the DLC split means in practice is that Deep Silver are effectively charging £39 for the full game, not £35. Whether that’s too much to pay is then the question I think you should ask. For me, it certainly is—I limit myself to no more than £25 for a new game. So I had resigned myself to waiting until the game *and* ranger DLC were under that before buying—perhaps in the summer sale.

(And then a day before release, LewieP posted the £21 steam key deal, so I ended up getting it at launch after all)

• DigitalParadox says:

It’s not even that good of a mode really, just inconveniences you more than anything else. The game was clearly not designed with ranger mode in mind and so it feels tacked on despite all the dev quotes saying it’s the “Real way to play Metro LL”

• laddyman says:

I concur, there is nowhere near enough complaining in this comments section. Blargh.

2. Grey Poupon says:

Mod tools as a DLC? I guess that’s better than no mods tools at all. And better than a difficulty setting as a DLC.

• cpy says:

Arrrrr! We have to do this the harrrrrrd way then. If you catch my drift. :D

• JKflipflop says:

You’re a complete and utter douchebag. GTFO with that shit.

Lexx87 says:

DLC and pre-order bonus bollocks simply makes me want to wait for the GOTY edition for…everything.

I’m so far behind on games as i’m still catching up on bloody Fallout: New Vegas GOTY let alone anything new. (and that I spend all my current time on FTL and Monaco)

• Jekhar says:

That’s been my way to buy games for years now. My pile of shame has already reached epic proportions, and with the arrival of my little son last year i won’t be able to reduce it anytime soon. So it would be pretty stupid for me to buy games full price.

• Drake Sigar says:

That’s what I tend to do. Let the fools rush in and buy the game on release, then buy the DLC, then buy the ultimate edition. I’ll just pay for it once.

• Meluist says:

Thesedays, as soon as I see anything like a Season Pass or lots of DLC announced for a full priced game, it now goes straight into my GotY ed, in a sale, at somepoint in the future, maybe list.

I have plenty of other games to catch up on and play, while they sort out getting me the full version of their game.

Fontan says:

I too follow the same norm. I have a backlog full of games I still have to go through, so I feel no need to play anything the moment it comes out. I can wait for a GOTY or Ultimate or whatever-they-decide-to-call-it edition with everything packed together.

4. guygodbois00 says:

This Metro: Last Lights stuff gets sillier and sillier.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Every time I read about this game I want it less. I’m now quite resolved to wait til it’s on sale for a fiver in two years.

Lexx87 says:

It’s unfortunate as 4A would have no hand in any of it, it’s all publisher ideas which are still somehow believed to make people want to buy games instead of turning them off.

DarkLiberator says:

‘Tower Pack’ will present a unique solo challenge to Metro veterans.”

Maybe defend against waves of mutant monsters? Dunno. Developer Pack sounds like mod tools?

7. rei says:

Well, the more Metro the better. I haven’t gotten this one yet, but 2033 is wonderful so I’m quite looking forward to it. Maybe once I’m done with Dark Souls (I haven’t even started yet, so there’ll probably be a GOTY out by then).

8. BD says:

Last Light is a pretty great game.

If you liked 2033, you’re generally bound to like this one. The addition of a non-lethal playthrough option is pretty great. You could do it in 2033 too, but because that system was generally designed for just shooting and killing, it didn’t work as well as it could.

Last Light delivers on that one, which is why I like it so much.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

I loved 2033, Last Light has left me a bit disappointed, the AI(of lack of) really spoils the immersion for me. AI apart there is something(s) gameplay wise that I can’t put my finger on yet that just don’t cut it IMO :-/

Gap Gen says:

I wonder if the DLC thing is shooting series in the feet. I don’t typically like jumping into a single player story campaign after I’ve finished it, and many games (e.g. Mass Effect) have DLC addons that happen mid-game. So I’m sort-of incentivised to wait until the game comes out with all its DLC so I can play it all in one go, rather than reinstalling the game, finding my old saves and jumping into a mission after I’ve happily concluded the story.

10. Arglebargle says:

Wasn’t enthused before, but this news engenders a small sneer. What a waste of good atmosphere.

11. Liudeius says:

Eww.
    So for Metro, which was a previously DLC-free title (other than the free ranger mode), they’ve removed and sold “how the game was meant to be played,” and now they are selling FOUR more DLC packs for as much as the game was worth.

Considering SR3 had something like 30 DLC packs, I suppose that means SR4 will be the first game for which DLC Quest is an accurate representation rather than a satire?

12. Shooop says:

This “We’ll finish the game later and sell it to you in pieces” crap has ruined another otherwise promising-looking title.

And we have now reached a new low – mod tools as DLC.

• Lagwolf says:

Bleeding fans dry is sort of the term that comes to mind. As long as people continue to take this crap it will happen. However the most egregious thing was no “Ranger Mode” & having to play $5 extra to play the game “as it was intended”.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

> We’ll finish the game later and sell it to you in pieces

That’s not a fair accusation. Metro: Last Light is definitely a finished, complete product. It doesn’t have holes in the story waiting to be conveniently plugged by DLC (à la Assassin’s Creed 2 or DX:HR).

13. Frosty840 says:

“Hey, kids, want to buy stuff that looks like episodic gaming, but has you pay the entire price upfront, with no indicator of overall quality or even any indication of what it is you’re actually going to end up getting over the course of the episodes? WELL HAVE WE GOT A DEAL FOR YOU!”

Same reason I’ve not bought Bioshock Infinite.

14. buzzmong says:

So…another game on the GOTY or “Complete Edition” list.

At least it’s not a multiplayer game. Exclusive DLC generally ruins them (hello BF3! I can’t play with my friends now).