Stealth Badgers: The Full Shelter Trailer

By Craig Pearson on May 23rd, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Humans react differently to animal violence. I imagine I’ve seen about 200 on-screen deaths over the past few days, but at no point did I feel bad or empathise with the opposition. But every second of the Shelter’s trailer, where a mother badger must protect her tiny cubs, was like a force choke right in the feels. That hurts all over, let me tell you. I’m not even sure I’ll be able to play it given what it did to my heart rate. The horrible sense of death, of Mother Nature’s cruel indifference, the looming awfulness of it all. It’s is right here in a stealth game about badgers. Developers Might and Delight better be offering hugs in the comment section below.

So how does being a mama badger translate to mouse and keyboard? You’ll hunt the land for food, snuffling out good eats in the ground and whacking a tree to make fruit fall. And you’ll have to protect the little ones from predators: according to the game, a badger can whack a fox until it goes all floppy and DOES NOT DIE (LALALALALA – IT’S ALIVE – LALALA). Things get a lot more tense when birds decide it’s time for lunch and start circling the colony of badgers: the shadow it casts telling you it’s time to find a hidey hole for your babies.

Trailer time. If the cute squeaks don’t get to you, then I doubt you’re actually human.

No release date, but it’s begging on Greenlight right now.

As an aside, I watched both the Xbox One launch and the previous PS4 announcements. Developers and publishers talked a lot about about graphics and immersion and “emotion”, as if seeing the pores on a character’s skin or the hair on their arms will make people connect with what’s on screen. All Shelter needed was some squeaks and a sense of connection between the badger family and it got to me.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. MuscleHorse says:

It’s almost as if PR machines for consoles/big business are clogged with metaphorical and actual shit.

This, on the otherhand, does indeed look wonderful. No hesitation in supporting it on Greenlight and later, hopefully with my wallet. Go little badger dudes!

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

First time I’ve felt the need to greenlight something.

3. Bostec says:

This reminded me of a badger I saw. Is this going to have Badger dodge the cars too? Gauntlet runs. I would like to perform forward rolls under lorries.

4. Fluka says:

Pre-hawk: This looks great! The art direction is lovely, and focusing a game mechanic around a mother defending and caring for her young is a nice idea.

Post-hawk: I…I think this game is too intense for me.

5. Nicodemus Rexx says:

Considering the context of this game, I did in fact find the wildfire right there at the end horribly traumatic…

6. Defiant Badger says:

Look at all these Baggers. Quite (in?)glorious.

Though I feel that last bagger outa have socked that bird of prey right in it’s entrails.

7. Hilden2000 says:

MY BABY!!! I better be able to track down and slaughter that eagle.

8. Freud says:

Will you be allowed to role play as an irresponsible badger mom (or dad, it’s the 2010s for god’s sake) and nonchalantly lose your offspring?

9. felisc says:

I :( ed very much at 0:52

10. Bfox says:

The long awaited sequel to Animal Quest

11. Leaf says:

I feel quite sad the badger got grabbed and probably killed horribly by the eagle. Going to support this game.

12. oWn4g3 says:

This game will be an amotional rollercoaster but I must play it.

13. dagudman says:

CoD, Halo and Gears of war are chiuauas and this game is a pitbull if you use that as a comparison to the level of violence these games have.

14. Geewhizbatman says:

This looks pretty amazing. No–Several mazings. What I love about it is that they seem to have tapped into the knowledge that a game can be powerful and engaging, perhaps more so, than a giant game when you focus on things at the micro-level. By having only the one system/storyline–survive with your pups–it let’s you really invest into a playthrough. I expect many screams of “MAH BABY! WHY?!?” on youtube playthroughs once this comes out. I greenlit it so hard.

Plus between the music and the artstyle it gave me a nostalgiaoner for Cubivore and anything that can remind me of those magically confusing times deserves to exist.

15. jonahcutter says:

I always wanted a game based on Watership Down. This doesn’t look as if it has the animals able to talk, reason and tell stories to each other. But maybe it will still scratch that itch.

And the art design looks brilliantly stylized. Evocative of reality, but stylized enough to make the gameplay mechanics feel at home.

16. Cloudiest Nights says:

BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER

MUSHROOM MUSH- Oh look a hawk!

17. BurningPet says:

i love it. can’t wait to throw money at this.

CoD should made a war badger instead of a dog. now that’s risky innovation!

18. PoulWrist says:

I want this :’(

19. mr.black says:

:reads comments:

So the DLC will be from the eagle’s POW?

:smirks:

20. weirdkids says:

Sort of can’t believe how positive everyone is. It blows me away how well people seem to get what we’re going for! <3

Comment on this story