Toy Story: Plush’s Trailer Is Strangely Sinister

By Craig Pearson on May 24th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

*flinches*
Plush is a game that proves even the most mundane things can be totally terrifying. It is a game about making room on a bed for a little girl’s stuffed animal collection, which is already a better story than the last Call Of Duty. But there’s something about the disembodied voice, the chirpy music, the pink room scheme, the script, and the floppy physics on the toys that makes me want to call an exorcist. Especially the pent-up frustration when she barks “Get off my bed!” at her tanks. You should be safe to watch the trailer, though: I blessed a can of Irn Bru, and I’ve made a cross out of a Twirl.

Being an adult, there’s also part of me that wants to tell her to clean up her room and to treat toys with respect. It’s pitched a kid’s game, but asking a child to throw toys around seems like a bit of a busman’s holiday to me. Still, I’d happily sit a bairn down in front of this and see if the toy tossing and plush plucking is entertaining, and I suspect it would be. You can tell it has origins in iThings and touch interfaces. The biggest difference is that the number of toys on screen will only be limited by your PC’s power. I would like to build the most powerful PC imaginable to test that theory.

What a strange thing. I’m slightly baffled that it exists, and I’m not entirely sure how it works as a puzzle game. Maybe you have to include certain shapes and sizes per level? Anyway, it’s coming “soon”, which is also a fairly sinister phrase now I think about it.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Canisa says:

Oh god, that voice is terrifying! It sounds like the game is set during the formative years of humanity’s future robotic overlord.

• Haplo says:

To my ear it sounds like the voice of a little girl and the voice of a little boy recorded over the top of each other and given that vague, slightly unsettling robotic workover.

2. 1Life0Continues says:

“It is a game about making room on a bed for a little girl’s stuffed animal collection, which is already a better story than the last Call Of Duty.”

No way, brah! CoD is the best game ever, brah! [insert bigoted expletives and various neuron destroying non-sequiturs here]

Looks like an interesting premise, although I have to agree with Canisa, in that the voice is quite disturbing.

3. scatterlogical says:

Wow Craig, you must’ve been really traumatized as a child. Did you have a sister that forced you to dress up and play tea party with her?

4. Haplo says:

Ugh, no thanks. This game can get stuffed.

5. Beernut says:

Well, Call of Duty has real dogs instead of stuffed ones. That should definitely be taken into consideration, when comparing those two dog-simulators.

6. RProxyOnly says:

I used to drink litres of Irn Bru per week………………….. Then Barr sold 67% of their stock to English Britvic, now I don’t drink it at all.

It had me with ‘patriotism’.. but without that, it has nothing.

I don’t have anything against English people…. but I’ll be fucked and dead and buried in a big brown box before I accept the switching of nationality of one of the biggest Scottish brands ever…

Barr can fucking die now.

7. elmo.dudd says:

“Sentences till out of context CoD bash” is RPS’ “time to crate”.

Comment on this story