Face Of Mankind Promises Human Interaction

By Jim Rossignol on May 28th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Face of Mankind is a hugely ambitious (but small-scale) MMO project that apparently started in 2001, and is now culminating in a Kickstarter. It makes some fairly lofty promises about being an MMO in which players can define their role, rather being structured by quests and so on. It is supposedly “grind free”, open-PvP, and has a player-driven economy. There’s a lot of stuff in there that Eve players would recognise, frankly. Take a look at the documentary-style pitch and tech video for a glimpse of what they’re trying to achieve, and how.

, .

1. Premium User Badge golem09 says:

Hugely ambitious.. Grind free…define your role…
    “Sound like serious stuff!”
    Sees cyberpunk babe with minimal cloths.
    “Right”

• Orija says:

Always wanted to play a professional sex worker in an mmo.

• Ultra Superior says:

- Name your price, babe…

- 6 bars of mithrill or 7 frost giant tusks for a BJ, handsome.

• Grey Ganado says:

I recommend Second Life for all your sex working needs.

• tormos says:

ask me about how I earned enough for full rune in Runescape to catch up with my gaming mates! (when i was in 7th grade)

• Chalky says:

From the title screenshot I thought, humz, looks like it’s got a nice engine behind it…. from the preview image of the first video I suddenly feel like I’m looking at something from 2003.

• Deviija says:

That sums it up. I was curious, went to watch and see, and then standard scanty-clad ladystuff. Yeah. No thanks.

2. DestructibleEnvironments says:

“MMO”.

Oh okay, another of those.

3. SkittleDiddler says:

Hey look, another MMO!

4. Chris says:

This is pretty damning evidence that other MMO developers are very spendthrift.

5. Arglebargle says:

The road to hell is littered with dead and dieing MMOs. Especially sandbox ones….

6. FaceWound says:

Please heed my words! I am an ex gamemaster for this “mmo” and please steer clear these guys are not worth your money! It makes me sad to see that it will probably hit its goal, it does not deserve to. The game used to be one of my favorites (There was a big content patch that changed alot since then) but the new team running it, nexeon are not up to scratch what so ever! Save yourself the cash and kickstart something else ;)

• communisthamster says:

I remember my brother being quite into this. I don’t remember it being very good, though.

7. Koojav says:

2003 called. It wants its graphics back.

• Feldgrau says:

Is it wrong that I don’t care about the graphics? I think graphics have been fine since about 2003, to be honest. Most of the new technology (shaders, particles, etc) only really serve to muddy a game’s art style. There are much more interesting features to concentrate on.

• luukdeman111 says:

While the graphics indeed don’t look all that impressive, aesthetically it is utterly gorgeous!

You make yourself look a bit silly with comments like that, they are an indie studio with a small budget and as far as visuals go, this game looks fantastic.. Gameplay looks a bit weird however, not sure what it’ll turn out to be…

• SkittleDiddler says:

Other indie developers have made better looking games for less. Being “indie” is no excuse.

8. Blackcompany says:

Twelve years? You’ve been working on this for twelve years? And now you’re asking for money?

You would think in twelves years of development they would have come up with some way to really revolutionize the genre. To change the way we think about an MMO. Maybe even create a game that we want to play because of engaging game play, and not some artificial skill progression system.

But…apparently not. Going to pass on kickstarting this one. On playing it, too.

• Spacecraft says:

Did you watch the video at the top of the kickstarter? They explain the whole history of the game development. They’ve been through many different teams and they have never had very much money.

9. Palpetinus says:

Backing with 30 [yourcurrency]: [...] 1 month of premium access [...]
    How about no.

10. Bradamantium says:

I played this for a week once. It was the smallest amount of time I ever spent with an MMO. It so shamelessly forced me to conform to the faction I’d chosen to join…there’d be dozens of guys, all forced into wearing the same armor to meet regulations or face getting kicked out, lined up in a row at the behest of some higher-ranking faction member with a Napoleon complex, in that he was both likely a bossy small man sitting at a computer and also thought he was a brilliant strategist.

The hours I wasted in this game consisted mostly of PvP invasions of other faction bases, which typically proceeded in slow victory as we would invade areas, kill the few other players in them, and capture them, only for players across the pond from America logging on as I slept and taking the places back. Rinse, lather, repeat, with an obnoxious dollop of the players in charge of the invading team making all of their peons do things like line up and hop around just to show we could “follow orders.”

That was years ago. Not sure how much it changed, and I didn’t explore any other playstyles as this seemed like it was supposed to be THE way to play, but it certainly wasn’t worth my time.

• crizzyeyes says:

Not sure which faction you joined. I’ll be honest, when I played this myself a number of years ago, I quite enjoyed it. I joined the LED (Law Enforcement Department, the police faction) and it was indeed run like a police department; there was an internal affairs office, undercover agency, and multiple precincts for the different planets that fell under police jurisdiction. I thought it was pretty cool, and worked myself up to a patrol lead position, usually spending my time in Tokyo (since it was the most dangerous).

Obviously the LED enforced uniforms in that you had to wear silver and blue armor, but you could theoretically wear anything, and I’ve seen undercover cops wear Brotherhood (a smuggling ring faction) clothes. Most of the factions, which are simply corporations, don’t enforce uniform. Mercenaries, which isn’t really a faction so much as simply a label (players form their own contract groups within the mercenary “faction”), have the least “uniform” out of any of them.

My problem with the game ended up being that it demanded too much out of me. It’s like trying to live a second life, almost. That, and the devs removed a substantial amount of account priveleges and held them behind the bars of “premium,” which included reducing weapon slots from 3 to 1. This made my life as a cop difficult, since I needed a lethal and a non-lethal weapon ready.

This was also a long time ago, and since this game is notorious for switching hands and teams, I have no idea what it’s like now.

11. Premium User Badge Chaz says:

Not liking their art style at all. Sun kissed palm beaches next to dull grey futurist tower blocks, it’s not a good mix. Plus the characters all looks a bit Fallen Earth style, only not as good even.

12. 0WaxMan0 says:

Be warned the pretty video is a very rough tech demo of what they would like to be able to do with a new engine and new art assets, only starting at the stretch goal of $250,000. any thing lower is exactly the same engine that was rolled out in 2005 with changes that should have been incorporated as part of the MMO’s ongoing development.
    I played this a lot back then and while it gave a lot of promise the devs at the time were unable to complete things on time and were more than happy to over mod community activity but completely support griefing and they were unable to make the engine work for the play style they promised. It is a shame to say but it should either have been take over by a very competent company with money to right the mistakes (it did have a lot of promise) or been sunk back in 2006/2007.

13. pupsikaso says:

Can’t say about any of the game’s ambitions (I don’t have sound at work), but the tech video looks amazingly underwhelming. There’s nothing there that couldn’t be done by any amateur using Bryce or any other terrain creation software, and that flying slug thing looked extremely pathetic for today’s standards, even for Indies. You could follow some Blender101 tutorials and produce animation better than that.

It amazes me how some people cannot understand their own weaknesses and choose to use it as their selling point, rather than mask it or hide it and focus instead on their strengths.

14. Bhale7 says:

What happens if you get a ton of money on Kickstarter and never deliver?? Does anyone come after you?

• Lanfranc says:

Theoretically, your backers could sue you in small claims court to get their money back (or real court if the sum of money involved is large enough). Although I suppose most would not go to that trouble, especially those in a different part of the world.

That’s assuming you’ve failed to deliver due to e.g. unforseen circumstances or lack of ability. On the other hand, if the project fails because you deliberately spent the money on other things than you promised, and maybe never even intended to deliver in the first place, you could quite possibly be criminally liable for fraud.