Frightfully Enticing, Alarming Roguelike: Darkwood

By Adam Smith on May 28th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Darkwood! It was fright at first sight when I saw the first trailer for your procedurally generated top-down horror shenanigans. There was crafting, barricading of doors, and even surreal and comically unnerving conversations with inanimate objects. The lighting effects created a suitable atmosphere and the darkness was filled with weirdness and tension rather than hordes of slobbering beasties. The game is currently creeping down the Indiegogo route but is more than $10,000 short of its $40,000 goal with only nine days to go-go. New alpha footage may help to win over the doubters.

It’s all well and good dropping some meat in a bear trap and hoping for monsters to put their faces twixt the jaws, but always remember that you too are made of meat and your fighting spirit could be the deadly trap for which your flesh acts as bait. In short, always be prepared to punch a monster square on the chin and if it doesn’t have a chin, aim for the parts most resembling eyes.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

golem09 says:

The first gameplay trailer was good. Good enough for me to pledge. The second one was above anything I expected and actually made me actively excited for the game.

so GO PLEDGE

• LennyLeonardo says:

Ew.

• Tukuturi says:

I like how you decided to give them your money before you were “actively excited” by the game. What sort of blind Kickstarter consumerists have we become?

golem09 says:

I pledged because it looked very promising, but the first video didn’t show much. So I wasn’t really excited, as much as very interested, and had hope that it would turn out well.

• Rubato says:

The point of kickstarter is to support ideas you find interesting, that might not otherwise get funded.

It’s not meant to be a pre-ordering service.

caff says:

I concur. This definitely needs backing. It’s got a quirky feel. I only hope they can make the random stuff feel like a proper story experience.

• bstard says:

Must say this art and intentions are intriguing. Promising project.

• The_Mess says:

I want to, but $bills be eating up my meagre income :( (NZ$207/week sickness benefit)

I’ll try and squeeze it in to next weeks budget as this is very much worth backing and I love how RPS always brings to light and reminds us all about these awesome projects!

2. Ba5 says:

I was pleasantly surprised when the monsters turned out to be something else than zombies. I just donated.

• chewbaccasdad says:

What if they are dead monsters reanimated as zombie monsters?

• jonahcutter says:

Yeah, definitely digging the nightmarish vibe. Things look and feel off… in the best kind of malevolent way.

3. S Jay says:

Why is he shooting at nothing?

4. AshEnke says:

I’m going to stop kickstarting games that release more than 4 months from now. I currently am broke, but still got nothing to play.
    (Except if they’re reaaally close of failing their crowdfunding campaign. Or it’s from devs I love. Or it looks really amazing.)

• Fanbuoy says:

Sad state of affairs. I have a few spare keys if you want. Mainly bundle stuff, but some others too. PM me if you’re interested.

EDIT: Ahem. That may or may not be possible outside of the forums. So PM me there if you’re interested.

5. Low Life says:

The sound design is great, really atmospheric. I watched the trailer for the second time with my headphones on, and I started feeling quite uncomfortable.

6. Kaira- says:

Well, the word roguelike is certainly suffering from inflation.

• Captain Joyless says:

at this point, it’s just an easier way to say “this game has some element of procedurally-generated content in it, and possibly permadeath but not necessarily.”

• trilogique says:

I won’t lie and say that roguelike isn’t losing its meaning, but randomized levels and permadeath are big traits of roguelikes so in this case it’s not exactly erroneous to say it is partially a roguelike (or as some call them, roguelike-like).

• sweetjer says:

I made a big mess about this in the comment section of a katchup a little while back. Fully agreed that roguelike is becoming a diluted term and I’d be happy to see roguelike-like catch on despite its clumsiness and twice removed abstraction.

• lokhe says:

Is a person who misuse the word roguelike like a rogue then?

7. Odi says:

1hr after this post went live – and there’s ~$600 boost to the fund

Sometimes I love the internet.

• AlienMind says:

It’s because this gaming news site rocks as is not too high and mighty to report about KS stuff if it’s good

8. Christo4 says:

We definetly need more games like this! Roguelike’s with simple graphics but very interesting gameplay. I have more fun playing these types of games more than the latest AAA titles.

JiminyJickers says:

That looks too scary for me, may still have to give it a go though, haha.

10. Monkeh says:

Finally RPS posts this. :P

11. Dromph says:

This looks intense. Just pledged and excited to play this.

• Fanbuoy says:

It looks absolutely brilliant! I probably don’t have the stomach to play it though. That means I’ll buy it on release, rather than create an Indiegogo account for it.

• MellowKrogoth says:

As it happens, you don’t need an account for pledging, just an email address and a paypal account. I was pleasantly surprised.

12. squareking says:

Reminds me of Notrium from a few years back. I love these things. The blood splatter effect is really goofy and out of place, though.

13. Archipelagos says:

That looked fantastic, the sound effects are brilliant. PLEEEDDGEEE

14. Greggh says:

So it is like Notrium, but with more shadows and less aliens?

Caught my attention alright…

Also, this isn’t roguelike blablabla roguelike is an overused term yaddayadda :P

15. Freud says:

I don’t know why, but this top-down perspective is the least immersive to me. It doesn’t give you a good enough view of your surroundings and it’s hard getting a grip on what stuff is. At the start of the video I thought he was walking up to a stub and then it turned out to be a person he’s talking to.

Anything else about this game seems great to me. Perhaps if there is a demo I could get over my top-down hesitation.

16. Doghaus says:

Pledged! Up to $33,593, so looking good

17. Strangeblades says:

Nice. That music combined with the firefight just brings back memories of fighting monsters I don’t have. Whew.

The game looks important. It gives meaning to the simplest things.

18. altum videtur says:

Music early on reminded me of STALKER, and combined with the broken-down T-34 on the promotional image in the title made me so god dam nostalgic that I wanted to give ‘em some money.
    Then I realised I’m broke.

• altum videtur says:

Admittedly, the gameplay looking interesting probably should have been the important thing about this one, but hey. I’m just a crazed fanboy.

19. Akke says:

Another roguelike-like you may want to take a look at:
    (I have no connection except that I pledged).