Gunpoint Has A Demo And Pre-Orders And Yes!

By Jim Rossignol on May 28th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Gunpoint is a game being made by PC Gamer’s Tom Francis. He’s a terrible human being, of course, prone to evil like no one else in history, but the game is quite good, in that side-on hacking, stealthing, gadgeting way that Tom has made his own. But you don’t have to take my word for it because there’s completely a demo. You can pre-order it for a mere $9. The game is out on Monday.

I’ve posted one of the more recent videos of Mr Francis explaining his creation, below.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Gnoupi says:

Finally! I can stop throwing money at my screen and throw it at the humble store!

2. Jarmo says:

Sold.

If for nothing else, then as a small thank-you for his hugely entertaining Calactic Civilizations II diaries, although the game is looking very good, too.

3. DrScuttles says:

Even if the hacking weren’t a compelling mechanic, I doubt the jumping in Gunpoint would ever get old. Also, I thought it would take a few punches to knock out a guard. I attacked one like something out of a Nicolas Winding Refn film and felt horrified afterwards.

• belgand says:

Personally, I like how he was thoughtful enough to include both “punch” and “get off” buttons. I plan to do both.

• bonerjams3000 says:

The exact same thing happened to me, I was hammering away and when I got off his face pixels seemed rather mangled, I felt pretty bad and didn’t do that again. It was a lot like the elevator scene from Drive haha

• phuzz says:

It only takes one punch to knock a guard out (or at least, the one’s I’ve encountered in the demo), but I seem to remember Tom mentioning that one of his beta testers had punched one guard an improbable number of times (over 1000? I forget). Accordingly he’s set an achievement for punching a guard more times than that.

4. DestructibleEnvironments says:

What makes Tom Francis such a despicable human being?

5. jalf says:

I… thought preorders were evil?

• elderman says:

Not so much evil as stupid. They’re a bad bet. You don’t get much out of it as a customer and you risk spending money on bad games.

• Astartes says:

Preorders are inherently risky, but not inherently evil.

• Anguy says:

I was able to play the beta and can tell you that preordering won’t be risky or a bad idea this time :)
      Though, as stated on the bottom of Tom’s own preorder info the game only takes around 3-4 hours, but with the included level editor it should allow for a lot more fun in the long run.

• c-Row says:

Not providing a demo upfront for gamers to decide upon the game’s quality is what makes them evil.

• Tacroy says:

Yeah, exactly – expecting people to preorder a game they’ve never played is terrible, but a preorder coupled with a demo is good business.

• LionsPhil says:

There’s a demo available in time, and no exclusive content, so it’s more an early-bird discount and less a “here, buy this unproven thing before any critical opinions formulate, including your own, or miss out on this expansion FOREVER”.

This will likely make me part with my money.

6. Harrington says:

I was utterly charmed by about the five minute mark of the demo. The hacking system is very cool, and the combat…it reminds me a bit of a small flash game from a few years ago called Vox Populi Vox Dei, and that’s a very good thing. I’m sold. Or rather, the game is, to me.

7. mrrruczit says:

I’ve played the beta, it’s awesome! And funny :)

8. Shakermaker says:

Awesome game. Bought it immediately after playing the demo. I’m especially looking forward to what people will do with the level editor.

9. TJ says:

Enjoying it so far!

10. G-Lord says:

Awesome, have to load the demo as soon as I get home.

Edit: Didn’t even finish the demo before ordering the exclusive edition.

11. Bennus says:

As mentioned ‘charming’ is the apt word. Not at all in a condescending way, that demo was great fun. I get the feeling Steam workshop would work well with the editor. I can see this as one of the best indie releases this year.

• Bingo Bango says:

Finished the demo, bought instantly. Even though I’m completely skint.

12. SCdF says:

Played the beta. Great game. Fun, funny, fun…damental….ly… good.

It is a bit short though (as he states on the gunpoint page, ~3hrs to play through the story). Hopefully map packs done by the community will lengthen the experience.

13. belgand says:

The writing was astoundingly good and a perfect fit between modern meta-narrative sarcasm and classic hard-boiled PI sardonic smart-assery.

14. bwion says:

I really liked the demo, though I haven’t played much of it yet. Very slick control scheme, wonderful writing, simple-yet-effective mechanics, etc.

I missed any ability to alter video settings though, and the details in the game are very, very tiny, enough that I found myself squinting uncomfortably. I don’t suppose there’s a way to zoom in or something in the actual game? (As someone close to me is visually impaired and has been looking forward to this game, I really hope the answer here is “yes”.)

15. orbit_l says:

Has Tom ever commented on his inspirations for his game? It very heavily reminds me of a game another writer-about-games made a few years back: Trilby: the Art of Theft http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/games/yahtzee/artoftheft

16. somnolentsurfer says:

The demo is fun, and Tom seems the kinda guy I’d just like to give money to, so probably going to end up going for the top end edition, and not even wait for the Mac version.

The shadow me’s wishing terrible catastrophe upon the entire project. It’ll be a great loss to games writing if he leaves to make his own stuff full time. Hopefully he’ll keep sharing his process and releasing insightful thoughts on design choices in his games and others.

17. MajorManiac says:

Think I’ll wait for Toms review before I buy this…

Only joking. Played the demo and its brilliant. Its now paid for and waiting to be unlocked in Steam. By the way, buying the game through the website (and via humble bundle) is a really smooth process and shouldn’t put anyone off.

• MajorManiac says:

PS. I love the movie noire music. In computer game terms it reminds me of Sam & Max Hit the Road.

This inspired me to get the version with the soundtrack included as mp3s.

• Anguy says:

Yeah, the music was just great. A neat little detail that the music changes when you switch to crosslink mode

• oyog says:

Also, as far as I know all (maybe not all) the music was made by people who were following his development blog. A while back he asked for folks to send him music and effects and then everyone got to vote for what went into the final product. I vaguely remember a video he posted of him reacting to the sounds and music. It was surprisingly entertaining.

• Viper50BMG says:

Glad it’s to your taste. ;) As one of the composers on the project, let me tell you, you’re gonna love the soundtrack release.

18. Spoon Of Doom says:

I played the beta? Alpha? Can’t remember exactly what name it went by, but even in its not completely finished state it was already very fun, the controls were good and also, rewiring lightswitches to doors so that guards knock themselves out with that door never gets old.

19. Cloudiest Nights says:

Yes! I had an early alpha/beta version and it was a blast! Can’t wait to get it!

20. Hodge says:

I was in the beta as well, and if he’d released it in the state it was back then it would still be one of my games of the year.

21. Krouv says:

Just the humour was enough to warrant the purchase. It’s so rare to find games with this kind of subtle, sarcastic tone. By the way, does anyone know if we will also get a download, or does Mr.Francis consider Steam to be DRM free?

• Archangel says:

If you buy on the game’s web site, you receive both a DRM-free version and a Steam key.

22. LionsPhil says:

Since I suspect Tim might be keeping an eye on the RPS thread, a few demo niggles:
    * Steam overlay screenshots don’t seem to trigger?
    * The intro doesn’t quite work out at 5:4; the character who first talks to you moves too far to the right and their speech bubble gets a little truncated. You also can’t see what happens to them next entirely unless you’ve overshot to the right and made the camera pan.

I love the writing.

Having just finished the demo, I really love the writing.

• Sleepymatt says:

I can second that last bit – the writing is *very* funny. I will probably replay the demo a few times just to try the other chat options, it’s that good. Already I suspect this game is going to be one of my favourites this year :)

23. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Any game in which I can fling myself through a window FOR NO REASON AT ALL has to be good. There shall be a Fiery Gaze of Judgement in this, you mark my words.

24. Lambchops says:

My efforts to use as little violence as possible in the demo where dashed when due to mistiming how long it would take for an elevator to arrive I ended up crushing a guard with a door I had cross linked to the elevator button. Couldn’t have timed it like that if I tried. Obviously his crushing disappointment was a bit more permanent than mine.

Also, loved the end of the demo, got the distinct feeling someone was trying to tell me something!

25. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Demo completed. Somebody bring me my purchasing trousers.

• phuzz says:

You don’t have a monkey butler to bring you your trousers? Pleb!

26. mrd says:

Not played all the demo but know that when I get paid (hey I’m poor) this is getting fit into the budget. The one with the commentary and soundtrack.

Absolutely fantastic. Love seeing and hearing the realisation of the music audition/contest he did ages back.

27. Cronstintein says:

His writing was very funny, I’m definitely in on this one.

28. Freaky says:

Bah, downloaded the demo on Steam and I stupidly let it sell me a copy from there instead of direct via Humble Store, which I would have far preferred.

I wonder if that’s a restriction Valve have on demos served from Steam.