Something Else: Fleish & Cherry In Crazy Hotel

By Jim Rossignol on May 28th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Fleish & Cherry In Crazy Hotel remixes dodgy old 1930s cartoons to produce a game that looks quite unlike anything else I can recall. It’s basically a tribute to that early era of animation, and “will be full of details and tributes to the history of animation and to the great artists of the time like Walt Disney, Ub Iwerks, Max Fleischer or Friz Freleng”. The proposed project comes in five chapters of environmental puzzling, but that’s going to require a bit of the old crowdfunding, of course.

Slightly awkwardly-voiced trailer below.

The crowd-funding tier rewards are actually pretty interesting for this, so it’s worth taking a look at what they’re proposing.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. InternetBatman says:

Old rotoscope animation is really, really cool. In my D&D campaign I used some images from this:

Also, I suggest linux start using their penguin as a mascot immediately.

• Snids says:

That was a terrible time to drop the last of my acid.

• trad_animator says:

Did you rotoscope from footage in this animation? I only ask this as there is no actual rotoscoping in this animation. (I work as a “2D animator”)

2. chabuhi says:

I have my room. In the cellar, I’m afraid.

distantlurker says:

This looks *fascinating*.

I know you folks must get begging letters all day long Jim, but thanks for highlighting this one (I’d surely never have seen it anywhere else).

Totally onboard!

4. MichaelPalin says:

Aw, damn! The moment I saw that screenshot I though it would be managerial a la Theme Hospital, :(

5. GallonOfAlan says:

(spits tea)

Max Fleischer? DODGY?

(fetches cudgel)

6. RedLittleHouse says:

Thanks a lot to Jim for writting the article, in just this little time it has been posted, it’s helping us already with indiegogo, so we are very happy about it.
    And also thanks a lot for the feedbacks and opinion people. We love hearing about them, and if you have any questions about the game you can ask us.
    The project is also on steam greenlight if you like the project and want to vote yes :)

About the rotoscoping, the animation is not done with rotoscopy (tracing a video), is all handmade animation, and we are even retouching the one of Cherry you see here, so it can be even better!

• Arglebargle says:

I love those old cartoons of the 20s and 30s, which I positvely devoured when I was a youngster (with no stomach upset!). Some of the bits in the trailer reminded me of the RPG Toon. You should try to get Warren Spector’s attention with this, he’s big on that era of cartoons as well.

Off to Steam to use my green-lite thumb!

7. Lemming says:

“will be full of details and tributes to the history of animation and to the great artists of the time like Walt Disney…”

Not too full of details and tributes I hope, because Disney will probably shut you down like the sue-happy megalomaniacs that they are.

• Arglebargle says:

Yeah, their horrible obsession with that mouse has led to the currant ‘Crazy IP’ situation that we have today. Disney is the major mover and shaker in the perfidious, secret goal of mantaining rights to these things in perpetuity.

8. waltC says:

Those old cartoons are really insane (and lots of fun.) I have never forgotten the ones with dancing, singing skeletons and ghouls, bats and other notable monsters–incredibly creepy and yet hilarious all the same–cartoons from the ’40’s, too!–In glorious B&W Anti-Technocolor, no less.

9. JackMultiple says:

I’m glad they got Father Guido Sarducci to do the narration. Looks like fun.
    But I prefer my Joplin with less swing, straighter eighths and all, right.

10. DestroyYourEgo says:

I JUST stumbled upon this on Steam’s Greenlight and was delighted. This looks really… enticing is the word I’m gonna go with.

I was pleased to see that the company was BOLD enough to have the female the lead, instead of the other way around- a la Super Mario (Princess Peach is STILL getting kidnapped, and as she is my best in Smash, I can say- c’mon Nintendo, even Bowser isn’t believing her to be the “damsel in distress” anymore).

Whew.

But, seriously, this looks great. It’s definitely one of the most… ?poignant? (i think I wanna use) games I have seen in Greenlight. I mean, seriously…. It’s just… hmmmm

It’s gonna be pretty cool, methinks!