Wetware Looks Fairly Dry, In A Good Way

By Jim Rossignol on May 28th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

We all like a good neon-lit hacking game, right ’80s aesthetes? Good news then from Reality Council Games, who send word Wetware, a single-player game of computer war and espionage happenings. “In Wetware, you play at the helm of one of the world’s megacorporations, doing what is necessary to stay at the top and crushing anything that gets in your way. Hack in to rival networks, bribe journalists and sabotage the economy for your own gain.” Bribe journalists?! Goodness, I am not sure that such a thing could ever be possible. Good thing this is just a videogame, eh?

Video below.

A selection of our audience will no-doubt appreciate that “the retro-synth-dreamwave custom soundtrack”. Wetware will reportedly be released in 2013 for all three true gaming formats: Windows, OS X and Linux.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Eonfge says:

It reminds me of Spybotics: The Nightfall Incident. It was flash/shockwave game originally hosted on the LEGO site, which became so popular that it got… uhm… ported to other sites where you can still play it.

That said, this could be pretty interesting too.

2. WarderDragon says:

Looks like the kind of game I’d be interested in! I really hope that’s not the in-game music though, it was quite terrible.

• Zorn says:

I like the atmosphere of the music, it feels like it tells you, there is an urgency in the need to act,
      underlying dramatic consequences. Okay, I think it just resonates with me. Difficult to say how
      it would work as a soundtrack to the game though.

3. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

That’s exactly the same interface I use to run Smingleigh Super Heavy Industries and Bakery.

4. tanith says:

Yep, getting a strong Uplink vibe here. Which is a good thing I guess.
    The minigame kinda reminds me of that mod for Half Life 2, one of the first ones, Dystopia. You basically had a 3d world where you need a hacker to hack the objective and open up the next portion of the level while the enemy hacker tried to stop you.

Wasn’t able to get into Hacker Evolution. It seemed interesting when I played the demo years ago (though now I probably have the full game thanks to some bundle) but I remember getting stuck in the second level or so because of some or something, at least that’s how it seemed to me. No way to progress.

5. aferos says:

I wonder why they’re hacking Ranua (4 200 citizens) and Virrat (7300 citizens) instead of the two biggest cities in Middle Finland on the coast. Same thing with Russia, might as well hack Kamenka (2 500 citizen) instead of you know, the 11 million people of Moscow who live nearby.

Yes I’m a grumpy nordic geographer.

6. Kefren says:

For some reason the hacking portion reminds me of the lovely Highway Encounter (C64/Spectrum).

7. Raticus79 says:

That map looks like a barfing dragon wearing a party hat!

• xylotism says:

I’m going to see that and chuckle every time I look at Europe on a map for the rest of my life and I have you to thank for it.

8. Samuelson says:

Lol at the “news bar” on the bottom of the screen.

9. Lagwolf says:

Just as long as I can turn off any music… ;)

10. jonahcutter says:

Aesthetically, in the palette and font used at least, it’s reminiscent of Uplink.

Gameplay looks vastly different. As is the music. Which is kind of obnoxious.

Uplink’s soundtrack might work pretty well with this game.