World Of Diving Has To Keep Swimming

By Jim Rossignol on May 28th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

World Of Diving claims to be “the first online multiplayer diving game”. I say “claims to be” because I am sure I played an online multiplayer diving game before, but Google can’t conjure it for me, and therefore it does not exist. Anyway, I’ve always felt that deliberately going underwater with sharks was one of those things that was best left to Not Real Life, and so videogames seem like the perfect opportunity to do such insane things without getting gnawed on, or having to breathe salt water or anything. That, at least, gives this game a good reason to exist. But is it $75,000 worth of a reason? I cannot say. Not even with an Oculus Rift strapped to a man’s face.

The top reward tier is “Get the great white shark buddy and freak out other divers!” It sadly does not then say “And In The Game”.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. UncleSmoothie says:

I think that an online multiplayer diving game where I cannot be the shark has fundamentally missed the point.

• Lev Astov says:

I came here to say something along those lines. Also, it’s certainly not worth $75,000 is they’re going to continue damaging sharks’ public image.

2. mauzed says:

> I am sure I played an online multiplayer diving game before
    endless ocean? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endless_Ocean

• InternetBatman says:

I wish someone would make a closer PC analog to it. I swear, people cannot make a diving game for the PC without having you shoot a bunch of fish. Depth Hunter is another example of this.

I just want to search for treasure, and perhaps run from sharks at most, not become a cross between Aquaman and Rambo.

• SinSilla says:

I always feel like some lonely weirdo being a huge fan of underwater games. Sadly there is only one title available that is actually quite enjoyable (for pc):

Diver: Deep Water Adventures

It’s the first game of the guys who did Depth Hunter. Sadly the only good game is the reason for all the bad games they are doing. It just didnt sell.

But they are supposed to work on a spiritual successor to Diver:Dwa, but they are changing names and announcing new iphone games quite often. So there is not much hope.

You could also play Endless Ocean via Dolphin

• Stuart Walton says:

I have Endless Ocean on the Wii. It’s a very relaxing game, but the pace can be a little too slow. Last time I played, I nearly fell asleep. A multiplayer version of that would help keep things lively.

• InternetBatman says:

Endless Ocean 2 has multiplayer, albeit through friend codes.

• Ravenholme says:

Think it was probably this:

3. bstard says:

It’s something new, but so would Sim Bollocks 2013 be.

4. golem09 says:

Going head to head with a shawk in the oculus? Like I’llever do that
    That would be more scary to me than any horror game.

5. Chaz says:

Looks rather good, will have to consider funding this one. I like the idea of buzzing around on a boat and then diving beneath the waves to take part in rampant archaeological and ecological vandalism.

6. Dancuka says:

Will there be fish moving out of the way as you move close to them? :3

• Tridae says:

No, absolutely not, our PCs obviously don’t have the next gen power capable of running such complicated A.I. routines.

• Splynter says:

Just offload it to the cloud! Cloud! Cloud! Cloooouuuuuud! As an added benefit, servers can be shut off following our Planned Obsolescence Scheme ™!

7. Ravenholme says:

I think you were thinking of Depth, Jim.

8. Berzee says:

Or if it is not Depth, maybe it was eDiving?!

Or Guild Wars 2?!?!

Or Dive To The Titanic?!?!?!

Or Depth Hunter 2??????

• Berzee says:

Despite all this I feel like I failed to find the game I was searching for (I remember another game about being under some waters).

Also Miami Shark.

9. SuicideKing says:

Well, there’s multiplayer diving in Arma 3 so…

10. dagudman says:

They should have asked Wargaming to found their project. I mean, they have World of Tank, World of Planes, World of Warships and now they would have World of Diving.

11. DestroyYourEgo says:

Ooooooooo

The folks at PETA aren’t gonna like this! Lol!

“You call yourself an environmentalist, why don’t you go out and club some beavers?”