Confirmed: Explosions In Company Of Heroes 2

By Jim Rossignol on May 29th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Company Of Heroes 2 is the heart-breaking, tender story of the inner life of an explosion. This lonely detonation, who grew up on a battlefield outside of Somewhere Cold, Russia, had a special task ahead of him: to blow stuff up. The other explosions where just going to spray dirt and make noise, but this explosion was different: he was going to hit something that mattered and that something was going to blast apart into a million pieces.

And for a moment that explosion would feel at peace. He would feel happy. This latest trailer is a glimpse into that very special state of mind.

Why not read our most recent article on the game? Eh? Why not? TOO BUSY? Pff.

, , .

1. JeCa says:

And once again the opening paragraph contains the main reason I keep reading so much of this cite, despite not having had a PC capable of running anything more demanding than FTL (and 1v1 SC2 games, if in a well ventilated and relatively cold room) for almost a year now. My hat goes of for you, Jim!

EDIT: Oh, and that CoH2 preview (which I somehow missed last time around) really made me feel like going back to the original, does anyone know how resource-demanding Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor is compared to, say, StarCraft 2 on low graphics and medium physics settings?

• Jimanzium The King says:

Having tried playing it on a low-spec system I wouldn’t recommend you try it. The most you’ll manage is a skirmish on a the smallest map.

2. ShowMeTheMonkey says:

Since being convinced by RPS to try the Men of War series, I just can’t go back to CoH. Ib tried going back but the lack of control was killing me. I’ve become addicted to direct control. Being able to time a perfect grenade into a clustered group is beautiful. The physics too CoH just can’t compete with. In MoW you can throw a grenade that will bounce inside a half track. Beautiful.

I really hope CoH 2 lives up to it’s predecessor.

• Sweedums says:

I think I have suffered the same fate…. I say suffered, I think it’s probably for the best, though it is a shame that I just don’t seem to get the same enjoyment that I used to out of CoH. I tried the CoH2 beta demo thingy not long ago and it just didn’t do anything for me. As you said, the lack of control really bugged me too, but I don’t think it’s just that, as I have also been adoring Wargame ALB these last few weeks, and in that game it sometimes feels like my units are listening to a different general altogether!

• Grey Poupon says:

While not ending up in the cold embrace of MoW through RPS, I’m at pretty much the same situation. MoW makes CoH feel like a lite version of the same game. Apart from the horrible voice acting that is.

• Premium User Badge fiendling says:

I absolutely loved Company of Heroes, if Men of War makes that look like a “light” RTS I definitely want to give it a try.

Which of the the five versions on the Men of War site would you consider the best?
      Men of War
      Men of War: Red Tide
      Men of War: Assault Squad
      Men of War: Vietnam
      Men of War: Condemned Heroes

• Premium User Badge Stellar Duck says:

Depends a bit on what you want from it.

Men of War is pretty good with the campaigns I think and has several of them.

Red Tide is single player only and from what I hear, it’s good. Haven’t played much of it myself as I find it hard as nails.

Assault Squad is the one you want if you’re in it for multi player I reckon. It does work in SP but it’s really just skirmishes so it may not be for everyone. In MP though, it’s brilliant.

Vietnam… I don’t like to talk about.

Condemned Heroes seem very campaign driven so I suppose it’s much like Red Tide in that regard.

In the end, the ones I’ve enjoyed the most was the original one and Assault Squad, one for the campagin missions and the other for getting my ass handed to me by several RPS chums.

• Premium User Badge fiendling says:

Thanks for the prompt and detailed feedback Stellar Duck.

Hmmmm… from what you’ve said it sounds like Assault Squad would be just my cup of tea.

• lomaxgnome says:

Of note, the Men of War games have been heavily bundled, you should be able to pick up keys very cheap or even free in a wide variety of forums.

• Bhazor says:

I have to disagree. I found the amount of micromanagement in MoW tedious but to me CoH got it perfect. Just the right balance of micro and macro, just the right balance of simulation and action. The original CoH (minus the horribly balanced add-ons) is still the best RTS I’ve ever played. I think I must have spent 150 hours just playing skirmishes against the AI.

MoW on the other hand just never clicked.

• cjlr says:

Men of War:
      The world’s #2 war-themed hat simulator.

Also I agree totally.

3. ukpanik says:

Thank god for mute.

4. jacko says:

I’ve been having a blast with the betas..
    ..still a lot of stuff to iron out, balance wise, but it’s getting there. Looking forward to release.

• Don Reba says:

Of course, we all know how important it is for proper explosions to be balanced, not skewed or lopsided.

5. nimzy says:

At least that poor explosion served a purpose: setting a house on fire so that poor freezing patrotic heroes could warm themselves on its bones.

Although that screenshot you’re using does make it look like someone’s trying to put out that fire. Were we misled this whole time? Is Company of Heroes 2 actually a World War 2 firefighting RTS?

6. Cytrom says:

But I thought, explosions were invented in modern warfare ™.

7. Davie says:

What does that even mean?

8. Simas says:

And yet again, tanks always fight each other at 10 meters range and bombers do level bombings from 5 meters height.

• All is Well says:

I found it very entertaining that they were throwing multiple assertions of “realism” and “authenticity” at you while the trailer was decidedly cartoony and unrealistic.

9. Rollin says:

I’ve played the CoH 2 Beta and the Eastern Front mod for CoH 1 is much better and free.

10. SuicideKing says:

Company of Heroes: Above the Battlefield since 1942.