A Claymation Adventure From Neverhood Devs! Armikrog

By John Walker on May 30th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Woah, how did I miss this? There’s to be (Kickstarter depending) a spiritual sequel to claymation classic The Neverhood. Armikrog is asking for a hefty $900,000 (although it’s already nearly a third of the way there), and being developed by Doug TenNapel himself – the creator of both Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood – along with other members of the original team.

Now with Pencil Test Studios, the old gang is making a brand new game, again with animation at its core. And yes, this time stop-motion point and click adventure for PC. YES PLEASE.

Starring Tommynaut and his blind alien dog-thing Beak-Beak, they’ve already managed to pull in a voice cast featuring MST3000′s Michael J. Nelson, Pinky And The Brain/Animanics’s Rob Paulsen, and Blades Of Glory star Jon Heder. $20 will net you a copy of the game by July next year (they hope) if you get in fast. $25 if you don’t. Take a look:

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Masterpwny says:

A link for anyone who wants to visit the site. Very excited about this.

2. markside says:

Was gonna type a quote, but all of the most memorable ones are nonsense….

3. Hilden2000 says:

Long live claymation, played Neverhood a few months back and I freaking loved it!!

Still have to give its sequel Skullmonkeys a go.

4. Synesthesia says:

Oh god, yes. This is one of my favourite games of all time. That music. Please hire the same guy, please!

Edit: They did! Oh Joy!

5. Bhazor says:

Ok I never played Neverhood. But was it voice acted? I don’t know why, but voice acting just doesn’t sit right with claymation for me.

I’m surprised how well this is doing. After two days its already ahead of The Eternal Darkness sequel. Had no idea the old games were so well liked, I’ll have to dig them up.

• Hilden2000 says:

There was indeed voice acting (like 2 or 3 characters), but the main character himself was mute, I don’t mind it so much especially with that kind of talent behind it.

And a quick tip when you seek it out, run it in compatibility mode with XP.

6. rustybroomhandle says:

“Woah, how did I miss this?”

Easy, by not paying attention to your twitter feed. ;) Actually Alec Meer’s to blame for this one since I tweeterated him (and @rockpapershot) about it in March already.

Now allow me to insert some conflict and controversy into the mix here. How do y’all feel about Doug T being somewhat openly homophobic?

• JP says:

Yeah, it’s a bummer. I adored Neverhood back in the day, but this is a no-go for me.

• Hilden2000 says:

As long as the game itself doesn’t shove his morals down my throat it shouldn’t really matter, and to be honest nothing is a greater ‘ F*** you’ than enjoying something despite not being the right kind of person in their eyes. Look at Robert E Howard, he made Conan and apparently was a bigot, yet I still enjoy the character and the stories in spite of that.

It actually reminds me of this little gem

• rustybroomhandle says:

This is it. I used to be very quick to hop on the “outrage, boycott this shite!” bandwagon, but in reality none of us know if every single one of the 60+ people working on some AAA game aligns with our personal beliefs. And also, we can’t hope to get someone to be more enlightened about any issue if we beat them over the head with a stick.

I bet there are plenty of people able to say “I’m gay* and I loved The Neverhood!”

* or whatever

• Aerothorn says:

Pretty much my take. Great art is great art, and I’m not going to say “no! People shouldn’t have access to more great claymation games because a key creator person has views I vehemently disagree with!” It seems to be cutting your nose off to spite your face (or other’s faces), it’s a completely ineffective means of change, and it’s by definition inconsistent because you don’t know the beliefs of the vast majority of the creative team.

It becomes relevant if the views are expressed in the product, but I’d frankly be pretty shocked if that happened here.

• JP says:

Okay, so what if someone was known to be a Nazi, an arch-misogynist, etc, and very publicly proud of it?

Everyone has a line they can’t cross. I’m really, really wary of suggesting people can’t vote their conscience and that boycotting isn’t a valid form of speech in our capitalist society, where we frequently have no other voice than to buy or not buy.

• WrenBoy says:

I’m really, really wary of suggesting people can’t vote their conscience

To be fair, there is a large difference between can not and should not.

• JP says:

Rhetorically, “suggesting” they “can’t” is very similar to “shouldn’t”. It’s pretty clear what I meant – I think it’s disingenuous and morally problematic to look down one’s nose at people who take a stand on something in this manner. It’s also problematic to say, “Oh well, everyone in the entire world is inextricably bound up in evil institutions, so there’s no point in taking a stand.” Which people seem to love doing in these discussions (see a few posts down).

• WrenBoy says:

I believe you when you say its what you meant but when I read cant instead of shouldnt it produces the same reaction in me as confusing moderation of comments with attacks on free speech.

• Lars Westergren says:

It caused me to pull my pledge actually. More details here.

Love Mike Nelson and Mystery Science Theatre 3000, but no. Not enough for this.

• WrenBoy says:

The guy is clearly wrong but I was expecting far worse I have to say.

EDIT: I posted the above before reading the car crash comments beneath the article. Was more in line with what I was led to expect. *Shakes head*

• Sic says:

Sounds like he’s talking about the argument that the church should be able to decide if gay people can get a Christian wedding or not — because it’s Christian, and they’re pretty much the proprietor of that whole can of worms.

An argument I have no problems with, as long as we’re talking about a country that doesn’t give one type of marriage better societal terms than other types of marriages.

The quote seems a bit thin, really.

• stump sock says:

I find it much more disgusting that he went on gaygamer and made an HIV “joke.”

“Doug TenNapel said:
          “Gamescook said:
          I wish someone would punch him in the nose.”

I’d be fine with this so long as you didn’t have an open sore on your knuckle.”

• Unknown says:

Oh, gross. I loved Neverhood but I can’t support this knowing that. I think it’s possible to separate a work of art from the artist, but just like the Orson Scott Card controversy, I can’t give my money to a known bigot.

• Cinek says:

LOL
        Man, you shouldn’t buy ANY games what so ever. Gaming industry is one of most homophobic industries out there, being second only to the Catholic Church. Homophobic people are everywhere – from artists, down to the game designers themselves.

You really need to be blind or intentionally fool yourself. I mean… just take a look how for example Final Fantasy was promoted: http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Tifa-final-fantasy-1153479_1600_1200.jpg – examples can go, and go, and go in every genre, every size of a studio, every continent.

For me it sounds like you are a hypocrite visiting a gaming website (so obviously you are interested in games and play them) and at the same time talking garbage like that.

• Unknown says:

The key word in my second sentence is “KNOWN bigot”. Obviously, I can’t spend money at all without some of it going to bigots, but I can at least claim ignorance in 99% of cases. In this case, however, as in the case of Orson Scott Card, I know ahead of time that a bigot is a major player at this organization. That makes it a lot harder for me to ignore that information and give that organization my money.

I’m not calling for a boycott or telling anyone else what to do. I’m just saying that my personal money will not be going to Doug now that I know this.

• Lars Westergren says:

>Gaming industry is one of most homophobic industries out there

I think you are tarring a very big and diverse group of people with the same brush here…

• Deadly Sinner says:

So your big example of homophobia in the industry is a fanmade image for a fanmade video, which has nothing to do with homosexuals at all? What an idiot.

• SwobyJ says:

I have to say ‘ew’, and ‘never getting my money’.

7. Rikard Peterson says:

Wow – this is an interesting week for Kickstarter games. With this, Nelly Cootalot, and maybe the DF chalice… (I haven’t read the article on A Hat In Time yet, which is why I didn’t list that too.)

8. hymnharmonia says:

Actually surprised with John’s enthusiasm here, considering the leading man on this project.
    Doug TenNapel’s comments on the Gay Gamer article are disgusting, and sadly not the worst I’ve seen from him.

• RedViv says:

Point out the worse, please. For the information of the public. Especially if it is known whether he financially supports openly hateful organisations like Card does. Can’t find anything on that. Because, so far, he seems hardcore American Christian, but not too harmful at all.

9. engion3 says:

Where has the kickstarter ketchup been lately?

10. kodjeff1 says:

Half a cheer for Clayman!

Hip hip…hoo!

This is great news.

11. Shazbut says:

I’m pretty sure PC Gamer gave The Neverhood a score of about 20% when it was released and many other publications slated it. Why was that? (I haven’t played it)

Comment on this story