Afraid Of The Light: The Flock

By Adam Smith on May 30th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

The Flock has one of those trailers that contains almost no information about the game but I forgive it for two reasons: the artwork is evocative and strange, and the extended version of the video includes a section at the end in which the lead designer explains all. The Flock are beasties that look a bit like broken skellingtons with u-bends as necks, as seen in the picture above. Rather than running around and shooting at the creepy blighters, players will actually be them. The first little flocker to find the solar capsule, which casts a beacon of light into the darkness, will transform into The Carrier. At this point The Flock work together to murderise the poor sod but the light from the capsule kills them. Intriguing.

Switching roles mid-game and becoming vulnerable in order to win are both ideas that I approve of. I’m half-convinced there was a similar game, possibly many moons ago, but I have no recollection of its name. Any ideas?

, .

1. Archipelagos says:

That’s a rather superb idea for a multiplayer game, I’m impressed. Will keep an eye on this.

2. Davie says:

An interesting concept, although it seems like it might be too simple gameplay-wise to draw people in for any length of time. Loving the creepy, surreal art design though.

3. staberas says:

This reminds me of a kids game but i cant put my finger on it ….. hmm

• chud says:

There’s a kid’s game called grandmother’s footsteps / statues

Also, weeping angels

• Echo_Hotel says:

It’s Red Light / Green Light combined with Kill The Guy With The Skull.
      I’m really going to need more gameplay info before I can say I haven’t already played this as a mod for Unreal Tournament.

4. Chris D says:

Are you thinking of Plain Sight by any chance? If I recall correctly, in that one you grow larger as you kill other players but become worth more points if someone else takes you down. Very different art style of course.

• xrabohrok says:

Not to mention that in order for your points to count, you had to commit suicide, so thats fairly vulnerable so to speak.

5. onsamyj says:

Wait, no Kickstarter?! *gasp*

6. McTerry says:

Kind of like the Mutant game mode in UT2k4.

• Jerkzilla says:

Sounds pretty much exactly like that. The Hidden works kinda the same way too.

7. vivlo says:

very appealing concept indeed

8. Kein says:

>I’m half-convinced there was a similar game, possibly many moons ago, but I have no recollection of its name

Same damn feeling. It is like on the tip of a tongue but I can’t catch it.

Matt_W says:

So… Capture the Flag meets Red Light, Green Light.

strangeloup says:

Thoughts:

- The music in the trailer is sparse and lovely

- As is the art direction

- I definitely remember something similar too, but can’t bring it to mind

- I do worry that as a slightly quirky indie multiplayer game it’ll die on its arse

11. gwathdring says:

There’s this, which is a german Tabletop game. That might be what you’re remembering, unless you’re sure it was a video game.

I’m in love with the idea. I’m very excited.

12. BarshSmash says:

Reminds me of an old Quake III mod (or maybe Q2?) where a single player had a halo & everyone else wanted to kill that player to claim the halo. Points were awarded for holding onto it. Can’t remember the name of the mod for the life of me.

• DatonKallandor says:

Maybe he’s thinking of the Alien vs Predator 2 survival mode, where players switched sides mid-match by being killed, until there was only one poor marine desperately trying to survive for a few more seconds against a server of aliens/predators?

13. sparadox says:

Probably not the game you’re thinking of, but Haze was a game where the player got powers that later got taken away later when he switched sides.

14. Freud says:

There was an ancient C64 game by Geoff Crammond called The Sentinel which also toyed with the idea of not being spotted or you would lose. Very cool concept for a game.

15. AaronLee says:

I absolutely adore the pure core gameplay showcased here. I don’t know how they’ll build off of it but this should be a really unique experience when it comes out. We’ll see how they elaborate, I guess.