Junk Rock: Scraps

By Adam Smith on May 30th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

You must watch the trailer for Bill Borman’s Scraps immediately, just to hear the music. It wins a million points for being ’2013′s Trailer Music Most Far Removed From Dubstep’, an award category that I’ll keep an eye on throughout the rest of the year. As for the game, it’ll look familiar to anyone who has played Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. It looks like a vehicular combat game but it’s also something far more important and the final scene in the video sums it up perfectly. Scraps is a stage on which to act out physics-based farce. This looks jolly good and there’s an early version of the vehicle builder available right now.

Logic dictates that wheeled warriors should be symmetrical and finely balanced. Comedic sensibilities dictate that they should be towering, teetering unicycles with twenty rocket launchers attached to their flanks.

Scraps is on Steam Greenlight’s concept section where you can provide feedback and support. I just found an email from Bill in which he informs me that parts that have been blown off enemy vehicles can be scavenged. This makes me extremely happy.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Squire says:

Holy crapping shit this trailer is actually Good. The reason it is Good is because it doesn’t feature the following things – Constant Cutting to Text Screens, Terrible Music AND it even shows the game Being Played for once, as apposed to the game being “Showcased”. The editor even set music to something on screen that wasn’t just a bass hit set to a hard cut. (The awesome barrel roll near the beginning of the duelling section of the video)

For a recent reference of a Shit trailer see this COH 2 trailer – http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/29/confirmed-explosions-in-company-of-heroes-2/ – “FIGHT!”, “TAKE CONTROL!”, “ARSE-BUTTONING ACTION!”, “RUIN THE PACE OF THE TRAILER!”

I mean wtf happened to using the lower third… http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3f/Bauchbinde_TV_description.jpg. Thanks Jimmy Wales – ThimmyWales.

FAO: Game Trailer making people – All game trailers must now be more like this.

2. Mbaya says:

Not sure why, but the first thing I want to make is the Mako from Mass Effect, seems I haven’t suffered enough.

Really enjoy me some loot salvaging though, while this doesn’t look like it’ll scratch the same itch as a Mech game of similar type would, it’s close enough!

Great trailer too, nice to see that you don’t need dubsteb, excessive explosions or stupidly-fast-scene-switching to produce something worth taking note of.

3. GallonOfAlan says:

I would almost buy this purely on the strength of it not having the usual dubstep/urban/nu-metal shite soundtrack.

4. grundus says:

Yes, yes I certainly want this.

5. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Ooh. Thanks for the link to the bandcamp! Game? What game?

6. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Gosh it’s buildablock lego meets Interstate ’76 meets MechWarrior / Heavy Gear with great music. Yes please.

7. Harrington says:

I like this! The trailer was sufficiently impressive that I tried out the vehicle builder and, though it’s obviously pretty alpha, it’s still awfully fun to play around with. Loading up the small chassis with engines galore and rocketing around the terrain? YES. It reminds me a bit of 1nsane, but with guns.

(Also, the builder itself has some lovely music.)

8. philbot says:

Just a part of me thinks they got a bit of inspiration from Kerbal Space Program – Nothing wrong with that.

Downloading it now- It’s awefully nice of them to provide a 64 bit version too. wow!

9. Stuart Walton says:

Makes me want to boot up my 360 for the first time in nearly a year so I can play Banjo & Kazooie : Nuts and Bolts.

The world needs more vehicle assembly games. Maybe I’ll just fire up KSP instead and make a tail-dragger jet that can reach orbit.

10. Koozer says:

Excellent trailer, would watch again. A++++++++

The battleship car at the end made me grin like a loon. That’s exactly what I would build.

11. Yanko says:

I made a game trailer last month.

It features dubstep =/
    (but ironically!)

12. YTDamnit says:

Immediately gave me flash backs to the underrated Chromehounds.

13. Lev Astov says:

I hope I’ll eventually be able to design the drivetrain rather than using a preset lower section with wheels already attached. I really want to build and drive a Baserunner.

14. Bing says:

Really nice trailer! Not as good as Transistor though!
    Opinion, away!

15. dagudman says:

I want spikes on my vehicle. There is nothing more satisfying than being able to destroy vehicles by crashing into them at ridiculously high speeds.

16. jonahcutter says:

Once this is released, I hope it won’t be long before some modder recreates Interstate ’76 with it.

17. LionsPhil says:

Reminds me of when I wrote a mutator to give the Scorpion buggies in UT2004 the cannon from the Goliath tank.

Only I put in much more recoil. Firing a tank cannon should at least make you pop a wheelie. :D

18. Chayat says:

Did anyone else watch this and think it’d make a pretty sweet Gorkamorka game?

19. Dreforian says:

This looks pretty much like the Gummy ship game from Kingdom Hearts 2 ( I assume there was similar in kh1) only with car physics instead of Star Fox/arcade style. DO WANT. Although I still want a space-em-up with the same elements. Darkstar One was just too simplified.

20. SCdF says:

Huh, these are the same people who made Skylight, that bizzaro game where you jump from platform to platform in the sky to generate music.

21. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

A car with a fearsome broadside. I endorse this concept, and shall immediately begin conversion of my long-suffering Austin Allegro.

• Clunk says:

I appreciate the obvious strategic depth this game is going for.

In the words of wise engineers and generals throughout history, “More cannons!”.

Comment on this story