Just Cause 2 MP Mod Adding Battlefield-Like ‘Faction Wars’

By Nathan Grayson on May 30th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Only, you know, with more things tethered to things they shouldn't be tethered to.

There’s an alternate dimension in which the day Just Cause 2 was first modded to include thousand-person multiplayer is cited as the beginning of a new, gloriously utopian chapter in human history. I’m sure of it. Quite frankly, it’s the one puzzle piece that was always missing – from Just Cause 2, from plane surfing’s never-ending fight to be recognized as an Olympic sport, from life. It is, however, still a work-in-progress, and even pure shrieking chaos is only entertaining for so long. Thus, Faction Wars. The new mode adds giant teams, classes, squad management, squad spawning, alliances, customization, and more. Underneath it all, Just Cause 2′s screaming barbed wire eagle heart still pounds away, but I think it’s safe to say that this is no longer just Just Cause.

It really does sound like quite the thing. The plan is to incorporate all 370 in-game bases, each of which will provide money and access to custom weapons and vehicles. Classes, meanwhile, sound fairly standard, but this is still an entirely new game system we’re talking about. Initially, you’ll have your pick of the heavily armored Assault, flesh-mending Medic, sharp-eyed Sniper, base-hacking Infiltrator, and ammo/rocket-supplying Support. They’ll apparently all play off each other’s strengths and weaknesses, with, for example, the Assault needing a Medic for truly effective head-on attacks.

Grouped into factions, players will be able to spawn into squads, customize characters and vehicles, capture bases, and keep tabs on what everybody else is up to via new menus and an upgraded PDA. The mod’s creators are also advertising “limitless factions, limitless destruction,” which bodes quite well for everybody except rabid fans of limits.

It does sound like a magnificently elaborate brand of madness, though – verging on MMO, but with infinity times more infinite parachutes and the chance to imagine you’re battling for a real, flesh-and-blood Bolo Santosi instead of some dumb king or wizard. I’m certainly looking forward to giving it a try. How about you?

, , .

1. dreadmullet says:

What’s next? A co-op GeoGuessr gamemode which drops you onto a random road of Panau?

*coughs*

2. kororas says:

Planetside 2 should be at least a little bit worried!

3. Chris says:

These guys should be hired by Avalanche.

4. Kobest says:

Just imagine an RPS Call to Arms in this. It would be fantastically chaotic (pun unintended).

OFF: Also RPS, are you going to mention what DevolverDigital did with Shadow Warrior Classic on Steam? I thought that was pretty neat. :)

• Mr. Mister says:

Call of ‘splosions indeed. We need big factions to get the most out of this. Now that there’s a squad system, I wonder if the ARMA bunch would be interested in giving this a try.

5. nebnebben says:

I’ve had my eye on the multiplayer mod for a while now, and I think now it is a must get. However does anyone know whether it is hard to install?

• gwathdring says:

It’s not currently available. They have public betas from time to time, and you can sign up to be notified about them at the website. Other than that, you’ll have to wait until the team decides to release it officially.

• grundus says:

I tried JC2MP sometime last year and all it required was a tiny download which asked you for your JC2 directory, your name (I think?) and an IP address (which you had to leave alone), then you just click play and it launches pretty much as normal.

This might be more involved though, when I last played you couldn’t even shoot people. It was properly glorious though, this could be the next DayZ or something.

• Mr. Mister says:

A little while ago they started packaging the mod in an installer. So now you just have to wait until there’s a public test (on the homepage you can insert your email adress so they notify you a bit before next test), download the instalelr and run it.

6. gwathdring says:

Naturally there shall be an RPS faction. But what color will our jetplanes be?

• nebnebben says:

Purple for our imperial supremacy in all things with red streaks for the blood of our enemies adorned with their gleaming skulls. Or pink.

• Mr. Mister says:

You can only choose one colour. Personally, I think the 50th shade of gray would be the best.

7. -Spooky- says:

rly? bring the mod first, then build faction wars in. da heck?

• Mr. Mister says:

They need to check if the scripting system is stable under stress too, or else the community won’t be able to do that much. Plus, the one doing this is the gameplay designer, who wouldn’t be doing that much otherwise apart from vehicle spawns.

8. Mr. Mister says:

What strickes me the most is how far they’re able to customize the UI.

9. Zulthar says:

This is really cool and all but I wish they would focus on making the base multiplayer more stable. I still havent managed to actually connect to a server, my game just starts into single player. And believe me, I’ve tried all solutions posted on their forums.

• BobbyFizz says:

I think the servers aren’t active until they have a beta event

10. Lev Astov says:

Raiders for life!

11. Stuart Walton says:

So it’s ARMAs ‘Capture the Island’ multiplayer mission in Just Cause 2 with 1000 players?

Where do I sign up?