Folk Tale Tells Of Steam Early Access

By Jim Rossignol on May 31st, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Sandbox building game Folk Tale is looking rather promising. This promise comes from it being a rather pleasing-looking cartoon fantasy game of peasant-management in an early stage of development. That won’t stop you from getting your hands on it, of course, because it’s over on Early Access, where you can get the game’s in-development version in exchange for precious gold of varied currencies. There’s a dynamic story system which apparently accommodates your decisions about how to rule your peasants as you knock them into an empire.

Just as a river flows, so a couple of videos explain this stuff below.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. RedViv says:

Be aware that currently you will have early access to the tutorial, and that’s that. Seems promising though, so I’ll definitely keep my eye on it.

2. ErraticGamer says:

…Wow, that first video is unbelievably tone deaf. The music doesn’t match the action doesn’t match the voice acting. And if I never hear “open up a can of whoop-ass” again in my life, it’ll be too soon.

It looks like a game with a lot of big ideas and I’m sure the gameplay systems could be fun to play with if built well. But humor is not one of their talents. Pick something else to show off, guys.

3. Bloodyhell says:

I’ve been following this game and it looks like it could be great, although $20 for a tutorial with the rest coming who knows when? I don’t know….

4. The Random One says:

Speaking of early access, is RPS looking into the hubbub that’s bubbling up about Greenlight, apparently fronted by the Depression Quest and I Get This Call Every Day chicks & dudes?

(Yes, I am too lazy to click on anyone’s name to send them an e-mail as I should. I gave money to RPS once and therefore am completely entitled.)

• dE says:

I have no idea what you are talking about, probably some twitter thing. But I found it mildly amusing that searching for depression quest on greenlight returned Project Zomboid.

5. The Colonel says:

Full Peasant Communism Now! This game looks folkin’ great. I’m in.

6. 123kings says:

As others have said only the tutorial is available. Might be better to wait for the beta.

Anyhow, the game feels like the Settlers 7 which I enjoyed back then. I hope they’ll add some more camera angel options, I don’t like being locked in birds eye view.

I look forward to its completion.

7. pertusaria says:

The trailers had me interested until the monster-biffing, which looked out of character with the peasant village management. Still, will be curious to see how it turns out.

8. Akheloios says:

Just bought it, played it, asked Steam for my money back.

It’s ‘comedy’ is sexist, racist, and the game’s sole gay character (a mage) is a limp-wristed, mincing caricature, whose introduction has him stating that he engages in beastiality with his familiar.

Highly offensive.