Released: Yesterday: Expeditions: Conquistador

By Jim Rossignol on May 31st, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Like I headlined: Expeditions: Conquistador came out yesterday, colonising new continents of strategic building and management as it did so. Did it bring with it diseases we were not immune to? I am not sure that makes any sense, but nevertheless I will plunge onwards into the uncharted jungle of this paragraph. Where am I going? Can we truly be expected to conquer this bold new territory of exotic pre-amble? Will I be treated as a hero on my return to the old country? Or will I be strung up as a traitor for that thing I did with ships and the gold and the muskets and the analogies? Ah, history. Full of so much that is basically pretty awful. You make great blather.

Well, at least I will be remembered for the potato. There’s always that.

You knew there’d be a launch trailer down here, didn’t you? I didn’t even have to point you to it. You just knew. Like a shaman.

, .

1. Danny says:

Great game so far. Played for 5 hours and I’m impressed by the depth that the different followers offer, as well as the turn-based combat and camp building mechanics. The writing is mature and intelligent, as are the choices you can make (do you opt to use slaves for your labor or do you pay them? Do you allow one of your followers to leave for 2 weeks so he can join up with a different group to find some treasure, or do you decline him and risk a significant morale hit?

Playing Ironman, something I’d might regret later on, but so far it’s nice to deal with the choices you’ve made. Also wasn’t aware of the ‘perks’ each of your individual followers have, so I’m now stuck with two racist soldiers and a narcissistic doctor. Ah well.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

You won’t regret ironman, unless you run into some bugs. The game is difficult, but quite forgiving.

• The Pink Ninja says:

Not found it forgiving myself. After one of my earliest battles I had so many wounded men I didn’t have enough meds to heal them, even after spending every cent I had on the market to buy more.

2. Ninja Foodstuff says:

It’s really rather good. The devs should be applauded for many things, not least of all picking an interesting setting.

shlomme says:

Will there be a WIT soon? Given that it’s supposed to rain all weekend, I might just be tempted to buy it on a whim.

4. Jimbo says:

A few hours in and quite impressed so far.

The combat and UI could be a little slicker, but how all of the different game mechanics impact on each other seems really smart and intuitive enough. It’s neat that you have to weigh the decisions you make between what you want to do and how your party will react to them. I picked all of the followers with Aggressive, Courageous etc. traits, so now I’m obliged to start fights at every opportunity or risk upsetting my team.

I just ransacked this native village and my Tactics score was so high (because that’s where I put all my points) that they were intimidated into not even defending their homes. I felt bad. Of course, most of my team were still upset with me because I didn’t kill everybody while I was helping myself to their stuff.

cpt_freakout says:

I made the ‘mistake’ of hiring all sorts of people, so for every decision I make there’s always someone complaining and someone shutting them up immediately afterwards. So I always keep my scholar working on tents to keep the crew happy (the things we get happy for…). It’s a lot of fun!

I’ve been hooked on the game so far, and I’ve found it pretty great. There’s lots of little details and subtle systems that make me remember (yes, here we go) games from THE GOLDEN PAST that were not easy to get into, but which were pretty rewarding thanks to the difficulty itself. Sure, the UI is a bit clunky, but nothing that can’t be improved with a patch or two, and it’s very far from being unplayable or something like that. This is the first of the KS games I’ve backed that’s come out, and I’m very happy with the results. :)

5. UncleLou says:

I’ve bought this because I loved the idea and look since I first saw it – not played it much yet, but unfortunately, I found what I played a little boring so far. It just didn’t grab me. The writing is excellent, but even after a couple of hours, it all felt extremely repetitive. I’ll definitely give it another chance, though.

On a sidenote, I can only ever log in on RPS with the Internet Explorer, but neither with Opera, nor with Chrome. :-/

6. Triplanetary says:

Bought this almost blind (saw a couple positive comments here and there) and do not regret it. It’s a fun and intuitive game.

7. Lanfranc says:

It has good and bad sides.

The good sides are the historical setting, which has been used far too little in games, the tactical combat, and the characterisation, management, and interaction with your followers.

The bad sides are the overland travel, which is quite tedious and restrictive, and doesn’t encourage exploration (unfortunate in a game about exploration), and the story, which forces you into a narrative that in my opinion frankly doesn’t make one bit of sense.

I didn’t feel the good sides outweighed the bad ones. But YMMV, of course.

8. Shadowcat says:

Today’s RPS quiz question is:

What did Jim famously (or infamously) do with “the potato”?

9. AlienMind says:

Here you go. A good released Kickstarter game.

• notenome says:

Alongside FTL and Banner Saga: Factions. It’s early, but all the kickstarters I’ve given money to have turned up ace. I really don’t understand why people decided to latch onto a negative narrative in regards to kickstarter. Yes, some things don’t get funded but that’s good (healthy even). What matters is the quality of what gets funded, and that’s been pretty great so far in my experience.

Carra says:

I loved FTL. Guns of Icarus wasn’t really my thing.

But, still got like 10 kickstarted games that have to come out one day :)

10. Voronwer says:

This is the first of the Kickstarters I invested in that has been released and I’m very pleased with it. Logic Artists have done an awesome job and have run an exemplary Kickstarter. Their communication with backers has been great, they’ve been honest and upfront even when it would have been easier for them not to be. They’ve delivered the game they promised and it’s been well done. I’ve already had my money’s worth just playing the beta.

So congratulations to them and if you’re waffling about buying this game, go for it. The combat is fun, the camping system is well done, the story and writing are excellent and the gameplay is challenging in all the right ways. (Admittedly, I’m biased.)

11. Blackseraph says:

This is brilliant game, really really brilliant.

I hope you guys do WIT about it, even if you happen to disagree.

Only real problem i have with game is the camera, it’s sits far too close to the main character, and actually makes it kinda hard to decide where you would like to go next.