Shhhhh: Payday 2 Probably Just Stole Your Wallet

By Nathan Grayson on May 31st, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Don't shoot until you see the whites of their horrifying weirdgross clown masks and OK just shoot whenever please

And you didn’t even notice. That’s how cold, calculating, and quiet it is. It rushed your home and left no witnesses. Your coat rack? Lying in a pool of its own fabrics. Your pet goldfish? Sleeping with the fishes. Other fishes. Dead ones. And you? Next. Hah, just kidding. I have no idea why someone’s stalking through your home, but it’s not Payday 2‘s fault. The heist-’em-up’s new trailer is disarmingly quiet, though. Admittedly, it’s all pre-scripted, but the big takeaway seems to be that this one’s going for methodical stealth over the first’s Left 4 Dead with cops approach.  Also, clown masks. They’re reeeeeally unsettling, pretty much no matter what. It’s all after the break.

“See how much fun it is to rob banks with friends!” the trailer’s description notes excitedly. Advice to live by, I think most will agree.

The (new) Sam Fisher approach isn’t your only option, though. Payday 2 boasts options, which will be further accentuated by the way you customize your character.

“Each job allows for multiple approaches, such as slow and stealthy ambushes, to running in guns blazing. Hit the target any way you want, and watch as the heist unfolds accordingly. As players progress they can invest in any of four special Skill Trees: the Mastermind, the Enforcer, the Ghost and the Technician. Each features a deep customization tree of associated skills and equipment to master, and they can be mixed and matched to create the ultimate heister.”

Then you can join the Ultimate Heisting Championship and out-heist other heisty heisters heisterly. Or something. Payday 2 certainly sounds like a step up from the original, though, and I’m all for more games in which guns are our last resort – just after popping out from around corners and shouting “BOO” with clown faces not even a clown mother could love.

It’ll be out this August. Who’s thinking of heisting (except, you know, by spending money) a copy of their own?

, , .

1. Runty McTall says:

I’ll be honest, I bought a 4 pack of the first one on steam and was bitterly disappointed. The production values were low, the AI was terrible (both friendly and opposing) and everything just seemed to turn into a huge firefight, with a coincidental robbery going on. The premise was cool but… eh.

• Ansob says:

YMMV.

I bought the first one and it was an absolute blast with friends, even with the limited number of maps (some of which were really bad, looking at you Heat Street/Green Bridge) and the lack of actual stealthy stuff (at least until they released No Mercy). There’s every indication so far that Payday 2 is trying very hard to fix that, so the game should be great.

the AI was terrible (both friendly

I think I see why you might not have liked it, though.

• jonahcutter says:

Green Bridge and Heat Street were the two best maps imo. They were the maps that emphasized offense and movement, dodging from car to car as you battled through cops to a destination, with lots of exposed flanks that needed attending to at all times.

The other maps you would often do a task, then hunker down in a corner and play turtle. Then do another task then hunker down again. I still liked them (except Diamond Heist because it became a restart-fest if the stealth failed), but GB and HS emphasized more consistent movement on the players’ parts.

• pack.wolf says:

The cops were pretty braindead, yes, but they more than made up for that in sheer numbers especially in the difficulties above Normal. Friendly AI was really terrible though, since you depend on each other so much (several types of special cops could one shot you and the AI simply couldn’t handle them, also they didn’t complete objectives while some maps are clearly designed to have objectives completed simultaneously, and they didn’t sprint so they often got left behind). Thankfully all that didn’t matter in Coop. Most of the people on my Steam friends list got there through our playing Payday together :)

• Runty McTall says:

Hmm, but I found that the numbers thing was part of what was lame about it. Spamming thousands of cops at you doesn’t really evoke “heist” to me. It’s just some sort of horde mode or whatever in a different skin.

I expect it was much better if you could ditch the friendly AI but even then I don’t think it would do well at being the game it portrayed itself as.

PoulWrist says:

So you only played the multiplayer game alone.

• Runty McTall says:

No, I played with someone else, too. But in any case, that hardly addresses all my comments, in fact it specifically ignores my final sentence. Um, and my sentences before that.

But full points for snark, though.

P.S from the steam store page:
            – Navigate six high-stake heists with three other live or A.I. Co-Op partners in crime.
            – Single-player

• Ansob says:

Uh, yeah, just because it advertises the ability to play with AI doesn’t mean that the game is suddenly not at its best in multiplayer.

There’s no doubt that Payday 1 was something of a miss when it comes to providing you with an authentic movie heist experience, but it’s still tonnes of fun. Payday 2 is specifically trying to provide you with the authentic movie heist experience the first one was supposed to, which is why it looks great.

• The Random One says:

There’s a difference between ‘the game is at its best when played multiplayer’ and ‘the game is awful unless you have precisely three other friends’. They should at least have labeled the single player as a training mode, since that’s clearly what it is, a safe place for you to screw up.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Why is that people always do this? L4D1&2, Brink, Killing Floor… They’re all team-based games and they’re all terrible to play in singleplayer mode. The SP mode in these types of games is and has always been solely for training or messing around.

2. pack.wolf says:

That is one great trailer.

I spent nearly 100 hours with Payday 1 and its DLC before I got tired of the heists. I guess my productivity is going to take a hit pretty soon…

3. greenbananas says:

Is it just me, or did anyone else think Payday blew a heck of an opportunity to be an actual heist game instead of a subpar L4D? Think something like the heist missions in GTA VC or SA or SWAT. You know, planning, staking out, finding routes, extorting floor-plans/passwords/schedules, recruiting a team… y’know, like most heist movies. Yeah, small dev and all… hopefully some studio realizes the potential.

• Ephant says:

Yeah, the game would be MUCH better with more realism and less hordes of braindead like in L4D.

• Runty McTall says:

Yeah, I agree completely.

• Choca says:

Yup.

Back when the first game was announced I let myself hope it would turn out to be some kind of old school Rainbow Six game (think Raven Shield or even before that with all the pre-mission planning) with a bank robber’s perspective.

A man can dream.

• molten_tofu says:

ugh I just can’t make the investment anymore; so many hours devoted to planning only to get TKed by my jerk friends 2 seconds in…

And R6 (rogue spear – bunkers *shiver*) multiplayer would probably give me an actual heart attack at this point.

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Very much this – I was hoping for Rainbow Six: Smash and Grab. Not that what it actually is is bad, but I don’t think hordes of enemies really makes you feel like a bank robber as per the slick, neat, professional Hollywood heist fantasy.

As for this announcement and Payday 2, that little bit of trailer and the option for ‘multiple approaches’ doesn’t mean it’ll be anything like that Rainbow Six ‘ideal’, but then again being able to pick up and play co-op relatively easily is one of the first game’s draws and being directed through the level rather than having to plan in detail might be preferable so long as you get the option to be a bit more Ocean’s Eleven about the whole thing. The modern one with the cool soundtrack – robbing a bank like Dean Martin would probably be superb but it’s a very different kettle of fish.

Oh, and regarding Rainbow Six, check out our little Steam group for the best of the lot, Rock Paper Shotgun Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield. There’s enough of us with it to do pick-up games as and when, and we’ve been having great fun charging around with varying attempted levels of professionalism (albeit with a fairly consistent level of actual, achieved professionalism – that is, not very much).

• Chris D says:

“… hopefully some studio realizes the potential.”

I think some studio already has…

• DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

Monaco isn’t anymore like a heist film than Payday 1.

4. dE says:

So this looks like it’s going down another unlock route again. Damn, I was interested, but too burned out by the bullshit the Leveling in the first Payday brought. As time went by, folks expected you to grind 100 levels with the stupid friendly AI the game had, to be allowed to play the easiest difficulty with humans.

Sinomatic says:

I would say that the problem there lies with the players rather than the game. A lot of these sort of games are generally much better when you just play with friends rather than randoms, sadly.

Although I’d suggest perhaps asking on the RPS forums for like-minded folk who fancy a game.

5. dorobo says:

Resembles Kane and Lynch. It had interesting multiplayer mechanics.. shame it died out. But the trailers it had were masterpieces.. this is nothing compared to those quiet ones :)

DarkLiberator says:

Can’t wait to play this! The first one is an absolute blast with friends. Especially on Overkill difficulties. I am looking forward to more variety then simply shooting 900 cops per heist.

7. TaylanK says:

This marketing video of theirs has turned me off to anything that Starbreeze/Overkill will ever touch:

Sinomatic says:

Oh….wow. That is fucking horrible.

They (starbreeze/overkill) apparently didn’t release it, nor endorse it , but one wonders how something like that could be made so blatantly in their offices without them having a handle on what was going on. Yes, the worst of it was done away from the devs etc, but it still seems a bit strange that they wouldn’t have someone overseeing it.

• ninnisinni says:

Yeah, as a swede, I find it embarrasingly bad. (plus I think most swedes do NOT have that ridiciulous accent those girls had when speaking english)

_Nocturnal says:

Terrible, just terrible.

Then again, the concept for the game itself is pretty disturbing. Kill innocent guards and cops who are just doing their job in the context of happy coop funtimes? No thanks.

• wodin says:

Whats up with that? Three girls getting paid for a job they willingly do…makes me laugh when people throw their arms up over this kind of thing..forgetting actual females are involved in it..

8. Yargh says:

I got plenty out of Payday, and with this one leaning more towards actual planning and the focus being on stealing stuff more than shooting people… pre-ordered even though I swore to never pre-order anything again.

Payday was only really worth playing with a full complement of humans though, so you’ll need friends.

Sinomatic says:

The game could be a way too combat intense with the endless, unbelievable police hordes, but when they started to introduce the situation-containment mechanics (keep all the hostages quiet, stop them from hitting the alarms etc), it was actually starting to feel like there could be something a bit special there. Trying not to shoot people, and delay/avoid combat was an entirely different sort of fun stress that you don’t really get in your average MP shooter.

It looks like they’re (hopefully) taking that ball and running with it. I’m interested to see how it pans out, though I doubt I’ll be getting it until it’s a bit cheaper and I’ve got more time to play with my mates.

10. jonahcutter says:

I pretty much fell unabashedly in love with Payday, logging over 200 hours on it (so prepare for a bit of fairly shameless gushing). I personally found the game great. It did what it set out to do extremely well, which I always admire in any sort of creative project.

And Overkill, the devs, are a class act. Very involved in the community on the forums, regularly interacting with their fans. Even creating a free mission in No Mercy that ties into Left For Dead. Even better, it expanded the stealth gameplay and made it work far better than the original stealth map Diamond Heist.

The pre-order bonuses for Payday 2 are well-constructed. Masks, guides, soundtrack, in-game item discount and beta access. No part of the game is locked off to players who do not pre-purchase. That’s how pre-ordering is done right.

There were design issues with the game. Being able to run past a portion of Heat Street by simply outsprinting the enemy spawns always bugged me. Friendly AI were pretty dumb. The drop-in feature wasn’t added until later, and it froze the game for a good 20-30 seconds, which was weird and jarring.

But uh yeah… quibbles aside, I’m obviously a big fan. Going back to Payday is like being the protagonist in a “one-last-job” caper:

Consider the options… (my growing, currently unplayed game list) Fear the potential downside… (all the time to be spent) A sweet carrot gets offered… (running gun battles in metropolitan streets) Face the inevitability of the situation… (loved the first game) Heavy sigh… “I’m in.”

11. Slinkyboy says:

I spent exactly 76 hours in Payday 1. I tried getting back into it last week, but I just couldn’t play anymore.

Waiting on Payday 2.

12. molten_tofu says:

Pretty excited about this; still playing the original. Got 3 other friends together, got the four pack. Some of the best co-op casual but can play it serious-like since KF.

13. Jaks says:

Hopefully every game in the sequel won’t turn into a cop shooting gallery 3 minutes into it. Although maybe its just my tastes changing or maybe society is shifting, but watching shit liike bank customers getting executed with silenced weapons so a bunch of lowlifes can steal money makes me feel vaguely repulsed.

• notlimahc says:

The game mechanics try to discourage killing unarmed civilians. It costs you money at the end of the heist, and there’s a time penalty if you’re taken into custody. You also lose a person to perform a hostage trade with. It’s mostly a slap on the wrist, but I found it was enough to make me and my friends play nice.

14. GameDreamer says:

Would’ve been cool to have a set of these, personally I wanted Hoxton’s mask as I always play him in my Payday gaming group.

Free CD Key