Surprise! – Kentucky Route Zero Act II Out Now

By Nathan Grayson on June 1st, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Making something that’s really, really different from all the other things takes time. The first Act of Kentucky Route Zero, for instance, was a perfectly serene drop in this industry’s bellowing ocean of shooty shooty bang bang madness, a soul-rehabilitating triumph that plucked both heart and banjo strings just so. Part traditional adventure, part ode to theater, it was so very effortlessly bizarre and bold. So naturally, it spent years in the making, weathering multiple revamps as well as life’s countless ups and downs. With the groundwork laid, however, Cardboard Computer was pretty confident that Act II could make March. Or not. Or April. Or not. But May? Well, depending on which territory you’re in, the madly methodical developer kept its promise. Kentucky Route Zero Act II has finally arrived.

The forest maze of seductively beckoning prose and stylishly hatted dogs launched with surprisingly little fanfare. Instead of a press release or a trailer or a message in the clouds, Cardboard Computer sent out a simple tweet:

“Just updated KRZ to Act 2 on Steam! Working on a few early bugs now, sorry if any of them catch you out. Thanks again for your patience.”

Between this and Fallout: Project Brazil, there are far too many excellent, suddenly existent things for me to play this weekend. This is what we in the business call a good problem. I’m not sure what business that is exactly, but I do hope very much that it’s booming.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Ross Angus says:

Damn. I thought I had a season pass, but I ain’t seeing nothing in Steam.

2. TheDreamlord says:

How exactly does it work with them “Act” games? You buy the game, say, once while still in “Act I” and when they add new acts, the game just gets updated (via steam for example) and you have access to Act II etc? Or do you need a separate purchase? (The Walking Dead, as an example)

• bac9 says:

It gets updated. You can continue your Act I save, you can start a new game, or you can start Act II from the main menu. :)

Bluerps says:

In the beginning they sold the first episode separately, and they wanted to do that for all episodes, similar to how it is done for other episodic games (like Walking dead). However, they also sold a pack that included all the future episodes, and that was so much more successful than the separate first episode, that they decided to no longer sell separate episodes (I think everyone who bought only the first episode simply got upgraded to the full version).

The reason for that was, I think, that to sell separate episodes brings with it some additional technical difficulties (because each episode is its own program), which they can avoid by selling a single version that they can just update with new episodes.

3. pertusaria says:

Very happy to see this. Now I only have to wait for an evening when I can play uninterrupted. :)

4. povu says:

Having both Fallout Project Brazil and Deus Ex: Nihilum release in the same week should be illegal.

Bluerps says:

Oh, nice! I wanted to play something else today, but there is always time for some adventurey goodness.

6. Noburu says:

I so appreciate this and all adventure games, but try and try again I have never been able to get into them.

Actually in the last few years I find it hard to get much enjoyment out of anything not multiplayer and preferably not FPS.

7. CrispinFister says:

Nice! I really enjoyed Act I and wish more games could be as original and well-done as this. The art-style, the music, the atmosphere and the execution are all perfect and made me feel something I had forgotten games could make me feel! Brilliant stuff.

8. derella says:

They definitely brought on the weird this time!

9. MadTinkerer says:

Spotted this yesterday when the game updated. I was like “Oh, KRZ is one of the games that updated? Yes, it is! Time to hit the highway!”

EDIT: And oh, what a highway! Love how the two main characters just take everything in stride, despite the fact that they are CLEARLY “no longer in Kansas”. Or Kentucky in this case.

10. Flo... says:

Just a short question:
    I would like to purchase the game via Humble Store. Do I also get a Steam Key?
    Thanks for answering :)

11. Charles de Goal says:

I cannot stress enough how deep and marvellous this game is. I’ve “finished” act 2 now, but I’m afraid I’ve missed on a lot of stuff in the overworld since I was too eager to rush to the museum (as I’ve realized bitterly afterwards).

(oh, and it works under Linux! Thank you so much, Cardboard Computer)

• derella says:

I “rushed” as well, and probably missed some great overworld stuff. That’s the problem with a game that has so much mystery — my curiousity to see the story through trumps my desire to experience everything.

phlebas says:

Hmm. If I played the DRM-free version of act 1 does that mean I’ll have to start again if I want to use the Steam version or can it pick up the decisions I made before anyway?

Bluerps says:

The game stores the savegame independently of the game files, so unless you deleted the savegame folder (located in the “Documents” library in Windows 7, I think) you can continue with the Steam version without problem.